Emby Server Update

hatharry

hatharry

Hey

I am in the process of making an auto service updater but found some bugs along the way. One being setup.exe will not run if a user is not logged on.

I would like to use the inbuilt emby updater but am unsure what the arguments and the processes are after clicking update in the dashboard.

Any advice?

Hi there, welcome. This isn't really a bug - when you run the server as a windows service, we do not support automatic update. The server dashboard gives you instruction on how to update, which is by shutting down the service and installing the update from the website. Does that answer your question? 

hatharry

Seems like a lot of work running the setup.exe every time.

Looking at how the inbuilt updater works, it downloads the new server as a package to the update folder, Then auto updates when the server is restarted.

Ideally being able to download the package to the updates folder from the dashboard, Then restarting the service when needed is what I'm after.

The problem is that, when running as a service, we cannot guarantee proper permissions to download and stop and restart the service.  A separate process with these permissions I believe is what will be required.  Several people have volunteered to create this but none of them have followed through yet.  It would be great if you want to take this on.

hatharry

Hey

This is what I've made so far. Runs from any account including the system account. Can be executed from a scheduled task or from the emby server app its self.

Options include:

Running Emby.ServerUpdater.exe with no switches, will download update and restart emby if an update is available and if ffmpeg is not running.

Emby.ServerUpdater.exe -download , Will download update only if available.

Emby.ServerUpdater.exe -restart , Will restart service only if ffmpeg is not running.

Emby.ServerUpdater.exe -createtask , Will copy files to emby folder, create a windows task to run at 4am and set service startup to auto.

Enjoy :)

Download Here

Edited by hatharry
  • Like 4

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
hatharry

I've created a patch to allow server to restart itself when running as a service

#removed

Edited by hatharry

• 4 months later...
mattbeezle

I used Emby.ServerUpdater.exe to create a scheduled task and it appears to be working.  The problem i seem to run into is that there are usually several connected clients that will basically shuffle play an entire tv series at night which ends up running all night.  This prevents the scheduled task from restarting the server.  Is there a way to force the restart under any circumstance?

I also see the patch posted by hatharry, but I'm unclear what one does with it?  

Edited by mattbeezle

hatharry

In the past the service would not restart when ffmpeg was running, thats why the feature was left out. Should be fixed in the next update.

• Like 1