Two MB3 Servers Instances Accessing The Same Media

jayTcold

jayTcold

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone see an issue with two MB3 Server instances accessing the same set of media?

I know it sounds like a strange question, but I can provide an explanation if anyone is interested.

The only issue I could see is maybe both servers colliding with each other in regards to metadata.

Anyway, I currently have MB3 Server running on my Media Server, which has about 10 TB of media.

On my HTPC, I'd also like to install MB3 Server along with MB3 Classic.

On the Media Server, I'd still have MB3 Server collect metadata, along with MCM.

Thanks!

I think you only need one computer with the server on it. Then install mbc on your other computer and it will use the server.

There is no need to install the server twice. All your computers will access the server on you home network.

This wouldn't necessarily be the best coarse of action.

• Like 1

WWWestern

Noticeable issue is with online trailers. One instance of the server doesn't display posters, backdrops, etc images.

My configuration was some different than yours. It is W7/W8.1 multiboot on same pc.

First I made: shifting the  \cache \data\ ImagesByName \Root folders outside admin account even to other disc. With symlinks connected them to appropriate places in folders structure of both servers. Voila! Everething works fine except trailers. To be honest I have not booted a month with w7. 

For You as I guess always easier and complicated. Simultaneusly running both server with same media will be like two dogs fighting over a bone. Need for one server disable mediaproviders trailers tasks etc.

I have two servers just because I have a test one on my dev machine and a real one on my actual server.  Everything works fine just be sure that only one of them has the "Save metadata within media folders" option checked.  If you also have plug-ins that download stuff to your media folders (like theme songs or the option set in trailers) be sure those are only happening on one of the servers too.

jayTcold

Awesome, thanks everyone for the quick and insightful replies and advice, I truly mean that !!

I'll go ahead and set MB3 Server on my HTPC and kinda use it as a dummy server with the "Save metadata within media folders" unchecked as ebr mentioned. 

@@ebr

Would you have to change the port numbers from default on one of the servers?

No.  They are on different machines.

jayTcold

Just wanted to update this thread with my findings....

As Luke mentioned and recommended, I installed MB3 Server on my HTPC, configured it not to do any metadata stuff and pointed it at my Media Server via UNC paths.

That worked out fine, no issues there.

The core issue I wanted to troubleshoot and remediate was that MB3C on my HTPC was dead slow - scrolling through the EHS, collections, etc. was painful. Playing back media was not good either.

Even with an MB3 Server instance running on my HTPC, and MB3C accessing content thru said server, everything was not good.

I took a really good look at my new HTPC build, and more or less noticed that everything GUI related was slow, even dragging the mouse pointer across the screen resulted in echo's and artifacts.

I went ahead and secure erased the SSD and did a full, fresh build of W8 Pro, drivers, codecs, etc.

I used Acronis 2014 to take snapshots of the build along the way - testing WMC, MB3C, etc. at each step of the way as I installed and configured stuff.

I'm happy to report that everything is good to go now. Scrolling thru the EHS, collections etc. was just as fast as when I had all my media stored locally on my HTPC using MB2.

Now its on the fun stuff - playing around with all the new themes and features!