emby as UPNP receiver

singer36
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

singer36

hello All!

Emby can act as a UPNP/DLNA server, and even with profiles. That is indeed great for sure!

The standard "use cases" are, as I understand, as follow:

• local media files > emby server > upnp/dlna > intranet upnp receiver (ex: kodi) > TV screen > happy intranet (=home) user :-)
  • local media files > emby server > http streaming > extranet client > happy extranet (out of home) user :-)

But my "use case" is different:

• intranet upnp media source > upnp/dlna > emby server > http streaming > extranet client > happy extranet (out of home) user :-)

Some people who are used to their current media management system (KODI or other...) might be too lazy to modify their existing system, and would just like to add this (amazing) transcoding/streaming emby feature!

what do you think?

does it make sense to you?

does that sound realistic from a tech point of view?

Cerothen

Have you looked at the IPTV plugin (or perhaps one of the other plugins in the catalog)? Are you hoping to have emby reshare the content from another UPNP/DLNA server or are you looking to just be able to serve a stream from another application?

• Solution

i think supporting a upnp source would be a nice feature, but we don't have it right now.

• Like 1

singer36

Have you looked at the IPTV plugin (or perhaps one of the other plugins in the catalog)? Are you hoping to have emby reshare the content from another UPNP/DLNA server or are you looking to just be able to serve a stream from another application?

Yes, that is what i have in mind.

It is also what i have been doing over the last year.

local media > KODI > UPNP > BubbbleUPNP server > streaming extranet > BubbleUPNP android client > dlna > my GF's TV :)

@Luke: thanks for the answer.

Emby already has multiple advantages... which makes it better. My little finger tells me that emby and I is the beginning of a long love story...

Edited by singer36

Vidman

Easier faster and much nicer solution, get your gf a Chromecast or fire TV stick for Christmas

Edited by Vidman