Getting closer, but...

PeeBee

Yesterday couldn't even get Emby to do anything. Bit further today, but...

Cannot play recorded TV from WEB client (actually intend to use Fire TV, but one step at a time). But I can use the client to download recorded TV files and then play the file in mediaplayer (files are .TS).

Cannot get the Guide.

Cannot get Live TV (or see channel list).

I can see the scheduled recordings!

The plugin has been configured to authenticate which I found necessary to start the plugin creating a connection with MP.

Latest Emby and MPExtended plugin. MP version 1.12. Windows 8.1.

Edited by PeeBee

pünktchen

Yes, one step at a time [emoji6]

Have you refreshed the epg guide in the server dashboard to see channels and program info? There's also a task for this but i don't know what's the default trigger after a fresh Emby installation.

For your recordings: please post a server log after it fails. Have you set "Enable direct access to recordings" or are you trying it with default options?

Thanks Punktchen!

I'll work on getting the server log.

Meanwhile: I could not find the option to refresh the epg guide, but in the hunt I found the guide was populated now! Very pretty! I had changed (plugin) configuration from "all channels" to a channel group of mine called "favourites", perhaps relevant? But clicking on a channel to play came back with "there was an error playing the video..."; guess this is related to being unable to play recordings?

Quite apart from this, but may be related? The Emby installation isn't "sticky". Emby doesn't show in Windows "Program and Features" and the service vanishes after a reboot, so I have to reinstall again.

pünktchen

"All channels" would be okay also.

"Refresh guide" you'll find under the server dashboard - Live TV and also under Tasks.

Thanks.

Installed on another server and things got a little easier. Seems Emby must be installed logged on as an Administrator, not simply "run-as" an Administrator. It's a bit lame in this day and age, haven't seen these "admin" problems for a long time, and there appears to be problems with this approach, like install as Admin, then logoff, and Emby stops! Still that's not the problem we're dealing with here... 

"All channels" appeared eventually (I didn't originally configure a specific group on this second server).

I found the "refresh guide" button, thanks.

Still get "video error" if I click in the guide or a recording. Hum, hang on it has started playing a recording several minutes later (unwatchably jerky, but sound is good!)! No I haven't set "Enable direct access to recordings" because of the scary warning attached to this option; should I? What server logs are you after (Mediaportal or Emby)?

Thanks.

Installed on another server and things got a little easier. Seems Emby must be installed logged on as an Administrator, not simply "run-as" an Administrator. It's a bit lame in this day and age, haven't seen these "admin" problems for a long time, and there appears to be problems with this approach, like install as Admin, then logoff, and Emby stops! Still that's not the problem we're dealing with here... 

You can run as a service if you don't want it to run under a user but you lose some functionality and you have to be sure you configure permissions properly.

pünktchen

Still get "video error" if I click in the guide or a recording. Hum, hang on it has started playing a recording several minutes later (unwatchably jerky, but sound is good!)! No I haven't set "Enable direct access to recordings" because of the scary warning attached to this option; should I? What server logs are you after (Mediaportal or Emby)?

Emby logs please! Server and transcoding...

As your goal is an Andoid device, i highly recommend you to enable "direct access to recordings". If you've set one recording folder for all your tuners in TVServer,

i also suggest you to fill in "Local path" and "Remote share" in the plugin settings. This of course means you have to share your recording folder and give it full permissions to the user your Emby server is running under. Or if you wanna run Emby as a Windows service don't use the system account but a user account with proper privileges.

As your video is unwatchable, are you sure your machine is powerfull enough for transcoding? Maybe lower the max. bitrate under your Emby user profile.

Emby logs please! Server and transcoding...

Guessed that as I woke to find the TV server still running. Mediaportal was serving lots of stream requests for MPExtended, so that bit's obviously working! Right, you've given me lots to do (and dig out the logs) so give me a while... 

(The machine is last years top NUC model so I guess it has the power).

Many thanks!

pünktchen

Aah, you have an Intel cpu...

Please check also your transcoding settings - Intel Quick Sync is less cpu hungry but still has some problems in Emby, especially with live tv streams.

565c9eb80bb2a_Untitled.png

Aah, you have an Intel cpu...

Please check also your transcoding settings - Intel Quick Sync is less cpu hungry but still has some problems in Emby, especially with live tv streams.

Done that now! And it does cause a bit of an improvement! Still jerky, still no live TV, still got plenty to mess about with though! Getting somewhere because new bits and pieces keep appearing, and I've tried a Fire TV app with some success. Still to resolve permissions satisfactorily and still to try "Enable direct access to recordings" so please give me a bit more time!

Got Emby working as a service too; seems I might of misinterpreted what was going on there.

Thanks very much!

Logs!

These are off an Intel Atom machine (not the NUC machine). Ensured permissions were correct (remote machine could access files on the "Public TV Recordings" share remotely without being prompted for authentication).

Using the Web client, firstly remotely (a machine on same network) then locally. Made attempts at playing live TV from the "Guide" (Web client crashed?) and from "channels" (client reports "Video Error"), and playing recorded TV from "Recordings" (client reports "Video Error").

Note that the users (remote and local) do not share the same name as the installer (an administrator) in who's profile the executables appear to be, so therefore the users do not have access to the executable folder. Shouldn't be a problem?

Thanks.

server-63585891302.txt

transcode-52adc21a-5f07-48f7-b27c-45f41e031dc7.txt

transcode-64d36a95-3a30-4c12-b1e8-88b493ddcc94.txt

transcode-68c031cf-6d95-4a71-aa31-0b3249481edf.txt

transcode-69577ca0-9078-4b1d-8f01-8cf5293551b5.txt

transcode-bbc25703-5649-4efc-93bc-ca227009055a.txt

pünktchen

Okay, don't use "Quick Sync". As i wrote it is problematic for live tv. But without Quick Sync your Intel Atom for sure isn't powerfull enough.

Why don't you use your NUC?

Okay, don't use "Quick Sync". As i wrote it is problematic for live tv. But without Quick Sync your Intel Atom for sure isn't powerfull enough.

Why don't you use your NUC?

The NUC is attached to my main TV; now I don't want to find myself without that! Didn't like the idea of making "irreversible" changes to it for one. Didn't think the Atom machine would be a show stopper? I can play recordings off its network share no bother.

But I'll knock off "Quick Sync" anyway.

Is there anyway to play the streams as they are and avoid transcoding on the server (if that is looking like the problem)?

pünktchen

The NUC is attached to my main TV; now I don't want to find myself without that! Didn't like the idea of making "irreversible" changes to it for one. Didn't think the Atom machine would be a show stopper? I can play recordings off its network share no bother.

But I'll knock off "Quick Sync" anyway.

Is there anyway to play the streams as they are and avoid transcoding on the server (if that is looking like the problem)?

In browsers the live tv and recording streams will always be transcoded (with some rarely exceptions). Your Atom cannot handle this!

Direct play is definitely possible with Android! Roku and iOS i don't know.

I hope your FireTV is the big one and not the Stick. The Stick isn't able to direct play HD live tv.

In browsers the live tv and recording streams will always be transcoded (with some rarely exceptions). Your Atom cannot handle this!

Direct play is definitely possible with Android! Roku and iOS i don't know.

I hope your FireTV is the big one and not the Stick. The Stick isn't able to direct play HD live tv.

Aye, I've got a "big one" not a "stick".

Okay, gave up with the browser and just jumped straight into Emby on the Fire TV. Also went back to using the NUC Mediaportal machine as the Emby server.

Day 1.

Looking "good". At least the guide is. But still not playing Live TV or Recorded TV (the latter has "other" issues for which I'll open another thread). Give up for the day.

Day 2.

Start by reviewing where I'm up to: The guide looks even better, having filled out a lot more given the additional time. Live TV? Well give it a go... flippin' heck, it actually works! It has issues; takes 20-30 seconds to come on; I guess its still transcoding not playing "direct"? It often just stopped after a couple of seconds, which I thought might be caching so I increased cache to 2 seconds from default 0.6 seconds with apparent good results? Haven't attempted HD channels, sticking to SD for now.

Can I improve on the 20+ second delay "tuning" into a channel?

Thanks

pünktchen

Mmh, 20 seconds means it's probably transcoding. You can see it in the OSD of the Emby app -> Trans/V or Trans/I.

When you don't wanna try it with a browser anymore, here's what i would do: Emby FireTV app -> max. streaming bitrate set to 40 Mbits/sec and caching 0.6 sec (depends on your wifi connection), Emby MediaPortal plugin -> Force directplay and Mediainfo delay set to 1.

pünktchen

Oh, and there's also a problem within the plugin. Even if Emby and MPExtended are on the same machine, don't use localhost in the plugin settings but your real local ip instead!

Mmh, 20 seconds means it's probably transcoding. You can see it in the OSD of the Emby app -> Trans/V or Trans/I.

When you don't wanna try it with a browser anymore, here's what i would do: Emby FireTV app -> max. streaming bitrate set to 40 Mbits/sec and caching 0.6 sec (depends on your wifi connection), Emby MediaPortal plugin -> Force directplay and Mediainfo delay set to 1.

Done them now (plus the tasks in your next post).

No luck yet! Still displays "trans-l". At the moment it's refusing to start playback with a "video playback error", which it wasn't doing this morning.

(Edit: Undid the changes and don't get "video playback error" any more).

Edited by PeeBee

pünktchen

Done them now (plus the tasks in your next post).

No luck yet! Still displays "trans-l". At the moment it's refusing to start playback with a "video playback error", which it wasn't doing this morning.

What the hell is going on there?

New Emby server logs please!

Maybe we should start a teamviewer session?! With one or two posts a day here, we will never see the end [emoji6]

What the hell is going on there?

New Emby server logs please!

Maybe we should start a teamviewer session?! With one or two posts a day here, we will never see the end [emoji6]

Put the settings back along with the suggested "Requires path substitution" option. Nope, still declares "Trans/l". 

New logs attached (I restarted the server to limit the data in them). Played Live TV session about 18:35. The first attempt failed after a few seconds (does that) but the second attempt played (trans/l). I did lastly attempt to access "recorded tv" but I don't get an error anymore, screen just goes grey and I have to use the "home" key to get out of the Emby Fire TV client.

"Teamviewer" session? Okay, what do I have to do?

server-63586206870.txt

transcode-2761b246-162d-4d22-83fa-787b84d59cb0.txt

pünktchen

Your MediaPortal plugin should auto update to version 1.3.2.933

With this version please try these settings:

Emby for FireTV -> VLC playback and Direct stream of Live TV

MediaPortal plugin -> Force direct play of streams on Android

I'm curious about your results!

Hi! Tthe new version playing Live TV is reporting "Direct/V"! Success?

However (gulp) the picture will not settle down for 5-30 seconds (several seconds between frames, meanwhile picture continually swaps between wide-screen and 4:3 aspect ratio). I think you were explaining this to me concerning recent recordings?

Playback can be paused, but on resuming playback may cease (exits back to menu). It is not possible to rewind Live TV or skip forward if the playback had been paused ("unable to seek").

Probably can't get around to testing on an Android app before Christmas (on my aging Samsung Galaxy S2) because no wi-fi (changed Internet provider recently and have never got around to setting wi-fi back up).

Thanks

pünktchen

Hi! Tthe new version playing Live TV is reporting "Direct/V"! Success?

However (gulp) the picture will not settle down for 5-30 seconds (several seconds between frames, meanwhile picture continually swaps between wide-screen and 4:3 aspect ratio). I think you were explaining this to me concerning recent recordings?

Playback can be paused, but on resuming playback may cease (exits back to menu). It is not possible to rewind Live TV or skip forward if the playback had been paused ("unable to seek").

Probably can't get around to testing on an Android app before Christmas (on my aging Samsung Galaxy S2) because no wi-fi (changed Internet provider recently and have never got around to setting wi-fi back up).

Thanks

The picture distortion i saw yesterday even with vlc on your desktop. It's either your Dual-Tuner, your DVB-T reception or a combination fo both. Emby's internal playback engine (Android vlc) cannot handle this right now.

You could try "Android VLC direct" instead of "Direct" as streaming profile in settings of the MediaPortal plugin.

Maybe it helps...

Pause and rewind, you mean timeshifting? This will never work with MPExtended as man in the middle!

If you want a stable video picture and also timeshifting -> two other reasons to go with Kodi.

They also have a skin that looks exactly like a FireTV ui.