Windows 8/RT Thumbnail Aspect Ratio Problem

Netbug

I'm just playing with the Windows 8/RT app and so far it's beautiful.

I do have one problem though.

My TV series' are broken up into two collections; one for narrative series, and one for documentary series.

For the icons in the narrative section, I am using Demonseed's TV collection icons, which are (roughly) a 16:9 ratio. For the icons in the documentary series section, I use a poster icon with a different ratio.

This is causing some inconsistency as the tablet application consolidates the collections into a single section.

So, two questions:

1. Is it possible to separate the complete collections into smaller collections (Documentary Series, Narrative series, Animated series, etc.)?

2. If that is not possible, is there any way to maintain the aspect ratio of the folder.jpg icons?

Thanks for a great app.

1. Definetely, Yes

2. Manually resize the poster or replace with other conform.

1. Great. How?

2. If I replace all the art, it's going to mess up the collection display on my other systems.

In other news, streaming is... problematic. I assume the first step in determining the bottle-neck would be to stream over the LAN and see if it's the internet connection that's causing the problem.

WWWestern

Are You about Collections View in 8.1 RT app? If yes then not yet implemented. Dev working on it.

• Like 1

Are You about Collections View in 8.1 RT app? If yes then not yet implemented. Dev working on it.

I don't see a collections view. I would guess not yet implemented.

Thanks for the info though. :)

7illusions

@@Netbug Streaming is set to no compression by default. If you wanna stream HD mkv you might wanna turn on the "Transcode to low quality"-option. (Bring out charms menu, click Settings -> General)

As for collections, not yet implemented. ;)

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser.WindowsRT/issues?state=open

• Like 1

@@Netbug Streaming is set to no compression by default. If you wanna stream HD mkv you might wanna turn on the "Transcode to low quality"-option. (Bring out charms menu, click Settings -> General)

As for collections, not yet implemented. ;)

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser.WindowsRT/issues?state=open

Excellent. That would explain that.

Where is the bottleneck with the transcoding? Is it my hardware or the network throughput that normally causes it (basically I'm asking if it's in my control)?

Is there any way to get some middle-ground on the streaming quality? It goes from super-crisp with constant buffering, to very very low res. Maybe like a low/med/hi/no-compression?

Edited by Netbug

7illusions

@@Netbug, I guess the bottleneck is the throughput on the net. I have no problem running full res when on LAN. On Wan though, it can stutter quite a bit sometimes.

As for control of the transcoding, this was discussed in the early stages of testing but I had to leave at that stage due to lack of time.

I'll add it as a enhancement in Gihub.

• Like 1