suggestion: UPNP as source?

singer36

singer36

Hello All,

I have recently started testing/playing with Emby... and needless to say again what a nice work you did.

I know there are integration projects with other solutions like KODI...

My understanding is Emby provides:

- media management

- transcoding & streaming

Why not adding/enabling UPNP source for media management?

I think it could make sense for many people who have KODI (or other tools) as a central solution and do not wish to change that (rescan, update with plugins...) even if it does not provide full features of the plugin you have today.

This is how BubbleUPNP works today.

regards,

PS: shall i put that in 'feature request'? For now it is more an idea and a discussion...

Edited by singer36

Cerothen

Not only does Emby already support DLNA but comes with profiles for BubbleUPNP and Kodi out of the box. You can just start up BubbleUPNP and send content to Kodi to play from Emby without needing to do anything at all in terms of additional configuration.

Deathsquirrel

It's been requested before IIRC.  Might want to search the feature request forum.  If you don't find it, make a thread there describing why this would be beneficial.  I can't think of any benefits myself as any media storage platform I can think of is better accessed through ordinary file sharing options.

singer36

hello shorty1483, hello Cerothen,

thanks for your answers, but let me be more precise:

Emby can act as a UPNP/DLNA server, and even with profiles. That is indeed great for sure!

that "use case" is, as I understand, as follow:

• local media files > emby server > upnp/dlna > intranet upnp receiver (ex: kodi) > TV screen > happy intranet (=home) user :-)
  • local media files > emby server > http streaming > extranet client > happy extranet (out of home) user :-)

But my "use case" is different:

• intranet upnp media source > upnp/dlna > emby server > http streaming > extranet client > happy extranet (out of home) user :-)

Some people who are used to their current media management system (KODI or other...) might be too lazy to modify their existing system, and would just like to add this (amazing) transcoding/streaming emby feature!

@@Deathsquirrel, the 2 posts from IIRC did not match my request (or i misunderstood them :-) )

Edited by singer36

Deathsquirrel

Like I said, post on the feature request forum if you can't find an existing thread on the topic.  If there is community interest and it serves a purpose other than enabling piracy it has every chance of gaining traction.