Chromecast - ability to use tv remote control

c_death

I could of sworn that this function used to be in the old emby version...

My TV has play, pause, etc. functions on the remote and can send these functions to the hdmi device connected (chromecast), however it seems emby does not yet support this ability.

I know the youtube app works with this, so it should be able to be implemented.

This would be a welcomed addition to the features, since its faster then waiting for the ipad app to wake up and detect where you are and then allow you to pause. (Though this is currently broken on current iOS version, but i see its being worked on)

• 5 months later...
Janoz

+1 for this. I really miss this feature. Just pause and play (doesn't even have to have a different function. both keys could be used to toggle between pause and resume). It's much easier to grab the remote when the phone or the doorbell rings. 

• 2 years later...

My Vizio with built in chromecasting doesn't seem to work well with pausing/playing Emby casting using the remote. 

Sometimes it won't pause/play at all, sometimes it will only pause but not play. 

Emby's the only casting app this has happened with

Which is strange because we're following Google cast guidelines in relation to that.

Doesn't make sense to me that it would pause but not resume. I don't have another chromecast to test with either.

That was with casting from the iOS app. Just tried from the web app and it will not pause/play at all. While iOS just pauses. (using the tv remote)

Edited by Phorn

We test hdmi-cec support with chromecast regularly, and at least on vanilla chromecast devices, it seems to be working ok.

This feature request is actually implemented (on hardware that supports CEC) correct?

With Chromecast yes. We don't actually do anything with CEC ourselves, we just listen for google cast commands and then execute them. So it's all handled by chromecast.

Hm, anything I can do to help figure out why there seems to be a compatibility issue? If Emby is the only app that has the issue I wonder how others have implemented it differently.