Moving all media to New Hard Drives

Fratopolis

Fratopolis

I have looked all over and seem to only find info on moving cache folders and things of that nature.

My question is there anyway to move all my media from one drive and path for example

from E:\Google Drive\Movies -  to say - F:\Movies or \\SERVER\Movies

without losing all watched content and rescanning and rescraping for meta. Will just moving the content and removing old path in emby under movies and adding the new path do it?

If it is not supported not a huge deal but just wondering. My fault really....should have used network paths in the first place instead. Could have moved anything anywhere then.

PS.

Downloaded emby for the first time not to long ago..two days later bought a lifetime subscription. Hands down 4x better than plex. And I only ever tried plex for a few days back in the day. Friends all making the switch as well.

Koleckai Silvestri

If you store your metadata within the media folder, you just have to move the content. If you don't, it may need to retrieve some parts again but since the media should have the same GUID after the move, this would be minimal.

Watched data is stored in the database so shouldn't be affected.

If all you want to do is switch to network paths, just use Path Substitution and you can leave your media where it is.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri

Fratopolis

Moving all data to a bigger drive. I may just have to start all over.

Thanks though. Ill give this a try first. Fingers xd

Edited by Fratopolis

If you do start over, be sure to check the "Store metadata and images with the media" option this time :).

Watched status (and favorites and likes, etc. for that matter) will carry over for anything that has a global ID from someplace like tmdb or the tvdb.

• 1 month later...
Fratopolis

If you do start over, be sure to check the "Store metadata and images with the media" option this time :).

Watched status (and favorites and likes, etc. for that matter) will carry over for anything that has a global ID from someplace like tmdb or the tvdb.

Didn't move anything. Actually mounted drive under another folder like I do for mediacenter at work to record to a iscsi nas drive. 

Though thanks for the input on the storing of meta and img. Trying to figure a way for this application to be viable at work. I'm sure I'll figure something out.