Emby for Windows 10 Does Not Play Videos

iam4uk

FrostByte

I believe DTS is the reason you get no audio in the MS movie app and why it's transcoding in the Win10 Emby app.  All DTS gets transcoded in the app.  However, mine is transcoding to AC3 with no problem so not sure what the problem is with yours.  Maybe try a MKV file without DTS and see if it plays

Ok, so it seems like you're transcoding even when it should be direct playing. I think this is your actual issue. Are you using path substitution? I'm guessing the Surface has file access since you can play via other apps. Not sure why it's transcoding.

No on the path substitution, yes on file access.

I believe DTS is the reason you get no audio in the MS movie app and why it's transcoding in the Win10 Emby app.  All DTS gets transcoded in the app.  However, mine is transcoding to AC3 with no problem so not sure what the problem is with yours.  Maybe try a MKV file without DTS and see if it plays

I'll check into this and report back later.

swhitmore

Yeah, that's killer for me. I don't want it to ever get transcoded. Is there any way to change that?

Deathsquirrel

Yeah, that's killer for me. I don't want it to ever get transcoded. Is there any way to change that?

Sure, convince MS to license DTS decoding as a system default...or use an app with user customizable codec support.

• Like 1

swhitmore

Sure, convince MS to license DTS decoding as a system default...or use an app with user customizable codec support.

What does the second option involve? Is this something that can be done to the Windows app?

7illusions

It can be done. The way forward would be to replace the standard player with VLC's player. I tried this a couple of months ago and it was working but way to unstable at that moment.

We will look into this once again in a not to distant future now that VLC has ironed out most of the issues.

• Like 3

7illusions

Nevertheless, the app should not fail on playback.

I don't have a file like this that won't play, but if someone has a file that won't play and would be willing to give me access to this one way or the other (file access or granted access to the server) feel free to send me a PM.

Here's a bit more info. This movie plays just fine:

Media Info
VideoCodec H264
Profile High
Level 41
Resolution 1920x1080
Aspect ratio 16:9
Anamorphic No
Interlaced No
Framerate 23.97602
Bitrate 10993 kbps
Bit depth 8 bit
Pixel format yuv420p
Ref frames 4
CABAC Yes

Audio
Language eng
Codec DCA
Profile DTS
Layout stereo
Channels 2 ch
Bitrate 1500 kbps
Sample rate 48000 khz
Default Yes

Container mkv
Path\\NASGUL\MEDIA\MOVIES\Silk (1986) 1080pBlu-ray\Silk 1986 1080p Blu-ray.mkv

And this is an example of one that will not play:

Video
Codec H264
Profile High
Level 41
Resolution 1920x1040
Aspect ratio 1.85:1
Anamorphic No
Interlaced No
Framerate 23.97602
Bitrate 9905 kbps
Bit depth 8 bit
Pixel format yuv420p
Ref frames 4
CABAC Yes

Audio
Language eng
Codec DCA
Profile DTS
Layout 5.1
Channels 6 ch
Bitrate 750 kbps
Sample rate 48000 khz
Default Yes

Container mkv
Path\\NASGUL\MEDIA\MOVIES\Toy Soldiers (1991) 1080pBlu-ray\Toy Soldiers 1991 1080p Blu-ray.mkv

So, it looks to me like it's the multi-channel audio that is the culprit. Nothing that is 5.1 will play, but all my older bluray movies that are in 2ch play just fine, I've confirmed this behavior with half a dozen files.

I don't have a file like this that won't play, but if someone has a file that won't play and would be willing to give me access to this one way or the other (file access or granted access to the server) feel free to send me a PM.

I'm going to go ahead and assume that unless you're trying to play these files on a SurfaceBook or a SurfacePro4, you're not going to encounter the same problem. I have your emby app for Win10 running on two desktop machines and they will play everything. It's only the SurfacePro4 (and likely the SurfaceBook) that's having the issue. It would be nice if anyone reading this who has one of these devices could try them out with similar media, if possible.

Also, for a bit of additional head scratching, that movie I listed above, 'Silk' plays with no audio in the Win10 Movie app. Plays fine, with audio, in emby.

Edited by z0mbi
  • Like 1

swhitmore

I have an SP4 and can play 5.1ch content ok. I'll do some testing tonight. I do get buffering issues when first playing though.

Edit: Ok, I was wrong. I just tried DTS and it doesn't work.

Edited by swhitmore
  • Like 1

swhitmore

Hey guys, can you try disabling hardware acceleration for the Realtek speaker driver? I seem to be able to play more videos now, however everything seems to be transcoding, which is not ideal for me.

5678f16e5595b_Capture.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, can you try disabling hardware acceleration for the Realtek speaker driver? I seem to be able to play more videos now, however everything seems to be transcoding, which is not ideal for me.

I'll give this a shot tonight.

jds828

This worked on my Surface Pro. Don't know why yet but subtitles stopped working at the same time.

Either way, thanks for the fix on the video.

• Like 1

Yeah, this worked for me, as well. Everything plays, now. However, stuff is quite choppy in the emby app for a bit when you start it, but then it smooths out for the most part after 30 seconds or so. Must be unrelated though because everything plays through the web browser just fine, no chop.

And also, same, subtitles no longer work for me.

Oh, and also, everything transcodes now, which is unfortunate, but better than not playing at all, I guess.

Edited by z0mbi

7illusions

Is everything transcoding? If so, is everything you try to play with DTS audio? Or what's the video and audio codecs and the container type for the types you try to play?

swhitmore

I need to do some further testing on the transcoding. I just found a bug yesterday with my library that caused a lot of items to have missing media info. The was causing a lot of clients to transcode.

jds828

Is everything transcoding? If so, is everything you try to play with DTS audio? Or what's the video and audio codecs and the container type for the types you try to play?

I'd not picked up on this at first. Yes it is, transcodes all files and audio formats. 

As mentioned earlier...

Very choppy at the start of video

No subtitles now

swhitmore

The new update has caused the app to use a crap load of cpu and memory. I think there is a huge leak.

25|2016-01-06T10:57:54.1642106+00:00|INFO|20|RtLogger|Created new web socket of type WebSocketClient
27|2016-01-06T10:57:54.1642106+00:00|INFO|6|RtLogger|Connecting to ws://192.168.1.10:8096/emby?api_key=d8e44ed74024424caa9f0f7005db9107&deviceId=AwDQnQgAUhoFAIquBgABAAQA6I0EAPT0BAAg+QEArsUCABSlCQA+4A==
28|2016-01-06T10:57:54.1798352+00:00|INFO|12|RtLogger|Connected to ws://192.168.1.10:8096/emby?api_key=d8e44ed74024424caa9f0f7005db9107&deviceId=AwDQnQgAUhoFAIquBgABAAQA6I0EAPT0BAAg+QEArsUCABSlCQA+4A==
32|2016-01-06T10:57:54.3171047+00:00|INFO|3|MainHubView|Clearing backstack
67|2016-01-06T10:58:03.8762065+00:00|INFO|11|RtLogger|Received web socket message: LibraryChanged
71|2016-01-06T10:58:11.4963438+00:00|INFO|11|RtLogger|Received web socket message: LibraryChanged
77|2016-01-06T10:59:10.2111356+00:00|INFO|3|MainHubView|Clearing backstack
102|2016-01-06T10:59:39.2073092+00:00|INFO|3|PlaybackService|Playing BackgroundItem: theme
105|2016-01-06T10:59:39.3388462+00:00|INFO|6|PlaybackService|Profile: Windows 8/RT, Path: \\SERVER\Videos\TV Shows\The Americans (2013)\backdrops\theme.mp4, isEligibleForDirectPlay: True, isEligibleForDirectStream: True
108|2016-01-06T10:59:59.4115296+00:00|INFO|3|PlaybackService|Playing item: Mutually Assured Destruction, Position: 4153786458
113|2016-01-06T10:59:59.4740365+00:00|INFO|12|PlaybackService|Profile: Windows 8/RT, Path: \\SERVER\Videos\TV Shows\The Americans (2013)\Season 1\The Americans (2013) - S01E08 - Mutually Assured Destruction - 1080p WEB-DL.mkv, isEligibleForDirectPlay: True, isEligibleForDirectStream: True
115|2016-01-06T11:00:00.0281493+00:00|INFO|3|PlaybackService|Mutually Assured Destruction : Media Opened
120|2016-01-06T11:00:00.4132777+00:00|INFO|6|RtLogger|Received web socket message: PlaybackStart
122|2016-01-06T11:00:00.8975284+00:00|INFO|11|RtLogger|Received web socket message: UserDataChanged
123|2016-01-06T11:00:19.6160572+00:00|INFO|15|RtLogger|Received web socket message: SessionEnded
125|2016-01-06T11:00:20.8480527+00:00|ERROR|12|SyncService|Error uploading file --> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: The system cannot find the file specified.

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at MediaBrowser.Implementations.Device.<UploadFile>d__11.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd(Task task)
   at MediaBrowser.ApiInteraction.Sync.ContentUploader.<UploadImages>d__6.MoveNext()
127|2016-01-06T11:00:20.9064547+00:00|ERROR|6|SyncService|Error uploading file --> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: The system cannot find the file specified.

swhitmore

Ok, reinstalling fixed the issue.

I fixed my transcoding issue on the server, however all videos with DTS are transcoding in the app, and I still get choppy playback in the first 20sec or so of direct playback.

Also, the app always seems to say "Syncing" in the top right corner.

Edited by swhitmore

if you're getting choppy playback when direct streaming then you shouldn't be direct streaming, so I would lower the bitrate setting in the app.

jds828

if you're getting choppy playback when direct streaming then you shouldn't be direct streaming, so I would lower the bitrate setting in the app.

I tried that but still the same. I also tested it on a low bit 720 with stereo audio and that stuttered too. On a positive note, my subtitles started to intermittently work. Not had chance to properly test yet.

I did an emby app reinstall yesterday too just to eliminate that. Do the apps only use a single core? I noticed that it only uses the one.... just curious.

Its not a network bandwidth problem. I get choppy playback in the app when there is a significant buffer. I think it's once again a problem with the Surface Pro 4. Doesnt do it on my desktop computers, just the SP4.

Deathsquirrel

Its not a network bandwidth problem. I get choppy playback in the app when there is a significant buffer. I think it's once again a problem with the Surface Pro 4. Doesnt do it on my desktop computers, just the SP4.

It wouldn't surprise me as I had some similar issues with Emby clients on the pro 3 when it was new.  A couple rounds of video driver updates eventually eliminated it all for me.  Fingers crossed for you!

swhitmore

It's only choppy at the start (for 20sec or so), and after that it plays fine. I don't get that issue when directly playing it with WMP.

bennymac

Yeh I'm finding the SP4 has wifi related issues that only effects use on some AP's under certain conditions. There is a registry fix to help resolve it until a fix it is pushed.

I get this issue using the web client or pretty much anything stream. It shit's me to the max.

Just one of the many little problems the SP4 has at the moment :angry:

Edited by bennymac