Emby for Windows 10 Does Not Play Videos

iam4uk

I just purchased Emby for Windows 10. It plays nothing.

It also won't respond to clicks on the categories for content, although it will open "Folders."

How does one get a refund?

7illusions

MS doesnt have a refund solution for the store, but the app has a one day trial to make sure everything works properly prior to buying it.

It also won't respond to clicks on the categories for content, although it will open "Folders."

I have to ask... are you running an emby server?

I have to ask... are you running an emby server?

Of course. I have the server feeding various clents: WMC, Android, Fire TV. Those work. Win10 app doesn't.

what he's saying is that the windows app uses microsoft's media foundation which unfortunately means that it's going to be affected by any other software you might have installed. so i would take the time to look into it as well as his question that he asked you from the other thread.

Brand new Surface Book.

I have a Surface Pro 4. I have been running emby for Kodi on it with no problems. Just checked out the emby app and I have the same issue as you, nothing will play correctly. Tried the codec tweaks for a solution, but they did not work. Am now currently downloading the Surface Pro 4 driver and firmware updates from Microsoft, hopefully that will fix the problem.

Update: None of the tweaks linked above fixed the problem. All firmware and drivers are up to date. I installed K-lite, and VLC. Still no joy.

swhitmore

I have a Surface Pro 4 and have the Emby app running ok (mostly). I do notice a buffering issue when files first start, but if I give them about 30sec, everything plays fine. It's not a wifi issue, as I'm using AC with a good connection, and everything plays fine if I directly play a file in Windows Media Player. 

I can't get sync working however.

Definitely not a network issue on my end. When I run emby for Kodi, everything plays instantaneously. I watch movies and TV on it every single night. When I tried to play the same movie in the emby for Win10 app, I get a green screen, then after 15 seconds, a corrupted MGM logo... then after a minute or so, still nothing. I tried to play a TV show, and it stuttered along horribly at less than a frame per second, with the audio also stuttering but out of sync with the video stutter.

This is similar to my thread: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/27357-custom-libraries-can-not-be-selected/

Through Folders most things play fine. I also noticed some transcoding/playback issues myself where other apps (plex/kodi) seem to play the items fine. 

My install at the time was a brand new Surface 4, but the same issues occurred on my Surface 2 which had a mix of software already installed, both had the same behavior through the Emby store app. For unrelated reasons I've returned the Surface 4 so I can't provide more logs from it, but can from the Surface 2/server if needed.

Just thought those notes between the 2 Surface / Windows 10 devices might help.

Deathsquirrel

Try playback of one of the files through any other video app in the windows store.  That will tell you if it's more likely that this is a bug in the Emby client our your MS media foundations codecs.

Try playback of one of the files through any other video app in the windows store.  That will tell you if it's more likely that this is a bug in the Emby client our your MS media foundations codecs.

iam4uk already stated video is playing back from other sources. As for me, I have played the same video in the Plex app, in VLC, in emby for Kodi, and in the emby web broswer. It plays just fine in everything except for the emby Win10 app. Also, as I noted, I have the latest K-lite codec pack installed.

7illusions

If you click on the app-menu (top left corner of chrome) and select Settings. On the flyout that is presented, click Streaming. What is the settings on that view?

Deathsquirrel

iam4uk already stated video is playing back from other sources. As for me, I have played the same video in the Plex app, in VLC, in emby for Kodi, and in the emby web broswer. It plays just fine in everything except for the emby Win10 app. Also, as I noted, I have the latest K-lite codec pack installed.

None of those that you posted use the same media playback engine as the win10 store client.  My suggestion was not to test in any other player but in another player using the same playback engine as this app.  Try the MS app for movie playback, that should be a valid test.

More info:

The standard media playback app that was preloaded on the Surface Book by Microsoft plays the .MKV files that I am trying to play via Emby.

Also, I changed the streaming options in Emby from "Max" to 15Mbps. That led to success. That is, "trascoding" worked, but "direct playback" fails in the Emby for Win10 app on Surface Book.

If you click on the app-menu (top left corner of chrome) and select Settings. On the flyout that is presented, click Streaming. What is the settings on that view?

Transcoding set to 'Max'. However, the movies I'm trying to play are not transcoding.

*edit: just tried setting it to 1080p 15Mb and it still wouldn't play

None of those that you posted use the same media playback engine as the win10 store client.  My suggestion was not to test in any other player but in another player using the same playback engine as this app.  Try the MS app for movie playback, that should be a valid test.

Yeah, nothing plays back well in the MS movie app. If it does play, it's extremely choppy and I'm not getting any audio.

Edited by z0mbi

So, I just tried to play the same exact file in a number of different apps and programs.

Toy soldiers  8GB 1080p H.264 AAC mkv

Successfully direct played with no problems:

VLC Desktop

VLC store app

MPC Desktop

Plex App

emby for Kodi

Plex web app in chrome

emby web app in chrome

Played fine, but no audio:

MS Movie app

Did not play at all:

emby app

So as was stated at the start of the thread your media foundation setup has been messed up, probably from installing codec packs

I did not install K-lite or any other codec packs until I discovered that nothing would play in the emby app earlier in the thread.

Edited by z0mbi

swhitmore

Can you please check the server logs and see if the videos are being transcoded, even when setup for direct play? You should see a separate log for transcoded files (see the image below). If so, can you please post the log.

566f6d86ce156_Capture.jpg

• Like 1

swhitmore

Ok, so it seems like you're transcoding even when it should be direct playing. I think this is your actual issue. Are you using path substitution? I'm guessing the Surface has file access since you can play via other apps. Not sure why it's transcoding.