Best way to rip and playback Full HD Frame-Packed 3D Blu-ray for Emby?

Sammy

Well the title sort of says it all.. Are iso rips with iso mounting and external player loading in Emby Configurator for WMC still the best way to do it? In the past I was using MB2.6.X with this set up to play back via TMT5 for WMC. Then my HTPC failed on me and I am just now finally getting everything put back together.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Edited by Sammy

I am investigating. That's why I asked. I figured there's no need to reinvent the wheel. That said, I'm working on it. 

Stereotropic Player looks to be plausible and maybe the latest version of MakeMKV will rip the MVC to MKV, IDK. mkvtoolnix is another option to mux the two streams. 

Is there a way to flag mkv's so that 3D ones open with Stereotropic Player and all others open with MPC-HC?

Is there a way to flag mkv's so that 3D ones open with Stereotropic Player and all others open with MPC-HC?

There is with EMC.  Not sure about Kodi (probably?) or MBT.

I'm using EMC still. I do have the configurator set to play mkv's with MPC-HC and currently ISO's to load TMT5. I have not had time to test ISO automatic mounting and playback yet, though. How to flag regular and 3D mkv?

Sparrowlogins

Hey Sammy,  

I Use MakeMKV and Stereoscopic player very successfully to do exactly what you are asking.  I renamed the .mkv 3d files to .mk3d files.  I then added a new external player and set it to play all external .mk3d with Stereoscopic player ( I also have some half side by side files from a while back and renamed these to .mk3d too and used the settings in Stereoscopic player to handle the differing styles of viewing.  The player remembers each style whether it be frame-packed .mkv or hsbs or htab etc. so each type only has to be set up once)

I am unsure if you need this but there is a script to allow windows to recognise mk3d files too that I will attach separately if I can.  Run the script if mk3d is not recognised as a file type.

If you are using just MakeMKV ripped frame-packed files for all of your 3d use - then Just rename to .mk3d and use Stereoscopic player.  When setting up the player, search the forums here for Stereoscopic setup as there are path commands such as -termend and -termkey to help stop and close Stereoscopic player on key press or end of file and also remember to name the file  - moviename.3d.fsbs.mk3d to get the correct Coverart 3d logo should you choose

Sparrowlogins

Script for MK3D recognition in windows.  Save the file if possible and then change the .txt to .reg and just double click and say yes to add to the registry.

mk3D.txt

You only need to rename the files if you have different flavors of 3D in the same container that need different players.

Okay. So what if I have 2D and 3D? Don't I need to tell Emby the difference in the file extension so that it will select the correct player in the Configuration App? I want 2D to play in MPC-HC and (maybe) 3D to play using stereoscopic player.

BTW, thanks @@Sparrowlogins for the great information.

• Like 1

Okay. So what if I have 2D and 3D? Don't I need to tell Emby the difference in the file extension so that it will select the correct player in the Configuration App? I want 2D to play in MPC-HC and (maybe) 3D to play using stereoscopic player.

BTW, thanks @@Sparrowlogins for the great information.

Have you looked at that screen yet?

The only trick is going to be exactly how the server is reporting the 3D format in those instances.  You might need to fib and mark them as one of the two 3D types understood by EMC.

I'm sorry I can't right now, I'm at work where installation of software requires an act of God. I'm gathering information for tonight's go at further tweaking my system.. Is there a screen shot somewhere I can look at right now? Thanks.

Okay, so that will ID the files with 3D but how to tell EMC to choose the correct player? I thought it was only by file extension? Am I wrong?

Well the title sort of says it all.. Are iso rips with iso mounting and external player loading in Emby Configurator for WMC still the best way to do it? In the past I was using MB2.6.X with this set up to play back via TMT5 for WMC. Then my HTPC failed on me and I am just now finally getting everything put back together.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

After upgrading to Windows 8.1, I decided not to pay for WMC which was not included in the version I installed.   So now I use Emby Theater with an external player configuration that loads Virtual Clone Drive to mount the ISO to a virtual drive.   Autoplay then starts TMT6 to play the ISO.   I switched to TMT6 at the same time since I couldn't get TMT5 to run in Windows 8.1.

Edited by claw

mguebert

I took a different approach, I am using the Kodi emby addon, with 3D MVC files ripped lossless with MakeMKV. They are played back with a RPI2 running Open Elec Jarvis Beta 1, it natively plays back the FP 3D files great. The only thing I loose going this route is Bitstreaming HD audio. For most that isn't a problem. Unless you have ATMOS capabilities in your audio system. When I go that direction I will need to rethink what I am doing. For now though it is a great inexpensive playback device that does 99 percent of what I need.

After upgrading to Windows 8.1, I decided not to pay for WMC which was not included in the version I installed.   So now I use Emby Theater with an external player configuration that loads Virtual Clone Drive to mount the ISO to a virtual drive.   Autoplay then starts TMT6 to play the ISO.   I switched to TMT6 at the same time since I couldn't get TMT5 to run in Windows 8.1.

How's TMT6 working with Cinavia?

Also, I have it set in the EMC configuration app to us TMT5 and Virtual Clone Drive and play automatically but for whatever reason it isn't mounting the iso. I had this working on my previous (RIP) build.. The only difference here is I'm using EMC and you're useing Emby Theater so maybe that is it.

I took a different approach, I am using the Kodi emby addon, with 3D MVC files ripped lossless with MakeMKV. They are played back with a RPI2 running Open Elec Jarvis Beta 1, it natively plays back the FP 3D files great. The only thing I loose going this route is Bitstreaming HD audio. For most that isn't a problem. Unless you have ATMOS capabilities in your audio system. When I go that direction I will need to rethink what I am doing. For now though it is a great inexpensive playback device that does 99 percent of what I need.

So you re-muxed the audio to FLAC?

I don't even know what ATMOS is so I suppose I don't have it. I have a Denon AVR 2312 for audio. I'm using an i5 Haswell with an AMD 7850 video card for HTPC / Emby Server and am building a NUC i3 with Intel HD5500 graphics right now for the Master Bedroom so adequate processor and video/audio playback is not an issue

The player you're using is Javis Beta 1 I take it?

mguebert

No need to reumux the audio. The RPI2 will decode the HD audio in the MKV and pass it through to the AVR as LPCM. ATMOS is a object based surround format based on True-HD with embedded  meta data encoded for height channels, up to 4 of them.

Yes I am on Beta 1

my point behind the post is that you don't need a ton of power the system I setup with the decoding licenses cost about $60

• Like 1

No need to reumux the audio. The RPI2 will decode the HD audio in the MKV and pass it through to the AVR as LPCM. ATMOS is a object based surround format based on True-HD with embedded  meta data encoded for height channels, up to 4 of them.

Yes I am on Beta 1

my point behind the post is that you don't need a ton of power the system I setup with the decoding licenses cost about $60

A few things to point out.

I am using my HTPC as my Emby server and for playback through EMC. I'm looking for a solution to either mount iso and switch to TMT5 for FP 3D playback or a way to rip these iso's to mkv and use another player for playback. I still want to use MadVR in MPC-HC for as much content as I can though.

Being a CableCARD user I am married to Win7x64 for the time being. The Master Bedroom NUC is just because I wanted to do that.. It'll have WMC on it too.

For the outside TV under the covered patio, I may investigate the rPi2 route though but Chromecast seems to get the job done for the most part.

Do you have a dts decoder on the rPi2?

Edited by Sammy