AFTV / Recorded TV

emacholden

emacholden

Couldn't decide wether to post this here or in the Fire TV Forum as it relates to both  :wacko:

I have found that when playing back a recorded tv .ts file from the recorded tv folder (using the DVBlink plugin), it is always transcoded no matter what settings I try and use.

However if I take a copy of the same file, and put it into a Media Library folder, the AFTV plays back that file directly without any transcoding.

Have I missed something, or does playback from recorded tv always transcode rather than try direct playback?

That has to do with the information the Emby server has about the file.  Our built-in TV function can direct stream the recorded TV just fine because we have all the necessary information to know that we can.  Likewise, when you add it to your real library, the system probes it for the necessary information and, again, knows it can direct stream it.

Therefore, it comes down to the external Live TV components and the Emby plug-in for that component (DVBLink) providing enough media information for our system to know that it can be direct streamed.  I guess one of those components is not providing that.  I would ask about it in the DVBLink thread.

emacholden

Thanks for the reply, it helps me understand a bit more about how it all links together, I will post in the DVBLink thread as suggested  :)