Please suggest an inexpensive receiver. Not audiophile, just picky

Marc_G

Hi folks, please take me to school.

As the title suggests, I'm in the market for a new A/V receiver. My current one is an Onkyo TX-SR603X. It's a beast of a thing, been using it since 2005, but it doesn't support HDMI inputs, and I may be redoing my home theater setup in a way that requires HDMI input. Currently, I'm going direct from HTPC (a circa 2009 PC) via HDMI to the TV (bypassing the AVR), and optical SPDIF to the receiver. The TV's optical out is also an input to the AVR, so the built in TV Apps like Netflix can stream 5.1 to the receiver.

To be clear, I'm not an audiophile. Because my AVR can't decode HD Audio, I haven't even bothered ripping HD tracks so far.

I've got one big beef with the Onkyo, that I want to fix with its replacement: My wife and I are sensitive to audio lip sync issues. It seems every source of media has a different offset when played through my system. Netflix from the TV to the AVR  has one delay. Hulu from the same TV output to the AVR is off my maybe 100 msec compared to that. Even from one Bluray rip (MKV) to another, played by my HTPC, may be off. Drives us nuts.

WHAT I WANT: The remote for the AVR should have an audio delay adjust button on the remote, so I can change the delay on the fly, increasing or decreasing the delay, to match that particular device/show/phase of moon to get it right, as needed. I don't want to have to go into some funky configuration mode and futz around with it, I just want to move change it with the same ease I would change volume or the channel on a TV.

Another thing I like about the AVR that I want the new one to do is to convert DTS 5:1 into a quasi 7.1... on my Onkyo it's called DTS Neo:6 or something like it. It simulates rear surround.  I have 7.1 speakers; the AVR has discrete outs for them despite really only being a 5.1 AVR.

Other than that, my needs are probably run of the mill. Several inputs of each type (HDMI, Optical, old-school analog connections). Might as well get 4K capable but I'm not a real believer that 4K offers anything better at my seating distance, and my Panny plasma (60ST60) is just 1080p. I'll give it up when they pry it from my cold dead fingers. Or when the panel dies.

I'd like to keep the AVR under $300... definitely under $350. I've been looking at THIS ONE ON AMAZON but haven't investigated the audio delay thing yet.

I'd greatly appreciate any thoughts on best hardware based on my needs above.

Thanks

Marc

swhitmore

I've been really happy with my Denon. The features you need are pretty standard for any AVR. The best thing to do would be to get yourself to a showroom, or somewhere that sells hi-fi gear and can demo a unit for you.

Edited by swhitmore
  • Like 1

Vidman

I used to be a fan of onkyo but the build quality has definitely suffered noticeably in recent years, I have found Yamaha to pack a decent punch for the $$

• Like 1

I would suggest that you be patient and troll fatwallet.com like a crazy person just like I do. These go on sale every now and again and the sale prices can be crazy good. My denon was good but crapped out pretty early relative to the amount it was used. Replaced with a Yamaha I've been pleased with so far. I would check out the smartphone apps of any brand in consideration.... You probably will use it more than you think.

• 2 weeks later...
Hammerhead

I have an older model HK AVR254 that supports delay (lip synch) for each of the inputs, and I've been very happy with it.  I think it has less to do with the medium as the hardware - I have an Nvidia Shield, Samsung BluRay and Roku all plugged into the HDMI inputs at the back of the receiver each has slightly different delay settings.  What might be helpful is to pick a unit that has a calibration microphone/sensor and internal program to start out with a baseline of settings for your room, and then tweak to your liking.

I replaced my Onkyo/Integra systems a few years ago with Denon 7.1 AVR-1913's, which have the audio delay adjust. I think they were around $350 each at the time. One unit runs daily and we've had no issues in two and a half years.

Edited by 888Jay

Tranquil

I recently bought a denon avr x 3200. It is able to handle 4k60p content as well but with no hdcp encryption. but should be not a big deal.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G925F mit Tapatalk

virtualtinker

Just want to bring up so you are aware, if you are wanting to future proof for 4k content as it becomes more widely available, you may want to get a receiver that is HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 compliant.  With the new changes in security made, if your hardware isn't compliant end to end, you won't get a 4k video signal.  So we're talking from your Roku/Fire TV/Shield to your receiver to your TV.  It all has to be HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 compliant end to end for the new 4K media to come.

In the case of your receiver, if you are just passing audio I think you will be okay.  It's only going to become a sticking point if you try and pass video through it.  This would be the same scenario as well if you were in the market for a soundbar as opposed to a receiver.

• Like 1

xnappo

I have bought several reburbs from here with great success:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/receivers-amps/home-theater-receivers/1.html

For low end, I really like the Marantz receivers.  The big huge box thing really doesn't do it for me.

This is a great deal:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marnr1605/marantz-nr1605-7.1-slim-a/v-receiver-wi-fi/bluetooth/airplay-sale-reduced-70/1.html

I don't know about having lip sync delay on the FACTORY remote, but both Denon and Marantz are awesome about DOCUMENTING additional IR codes which you can use with a Harmony or JP1 remote:

http://us.marantz.com/DocumentMaster/US/Marantz_AV_SR_NR_IR_CODE_V03.xls

Edited by xnappo