Adding library folders to Qnap server

AdrianW

AdrianW

I decided to try the Qnap package on my NAS. I got it installed (after a big download of qmono) and it seems to run well, although the version is quite old.

When adding libraries it allows me to browse the local linux file system for content - but clicking "Network" displays nothing. I tried manually entering UNC paths and it refused to accept them. Is it possible to add content using UNC paths?

I wonder if I have disabled some required feature on my qnap which is preventing UNC paths from being used.

mono does not currently supports Cifs which is what would be needed to browse the unc paths directly. so what you need to do is first mount it to a local share so that emby server can see it.

breezytm

I never used that option so i can't tell you. I only use the local storage on my qnap. 

It seems as if the new package is running quick nicely on the QNap. 10 minutes now since i've been configuring and it has crash yet. Before, if I thought too hard about it it would crash lol :D

AdrianW

So, if I just use the local file system paths, do I need to use path substitution to allow direct access for EMC running elsewhere on my network?

I tried that and I ended up with "Direct Streaming" instead of "Direct Playback".

iironman

Hi,

I am having the exact same problem as Adrian!

these are the only options I have in the add library list:

/proc

/mnt/HDA_ROOT

/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA

/mnt/ext

Network

I have these dir but no luck. do I need to mount the share? how do I do this?

Thanks

AdrianW

If your content is on the Qnap then you should be able to locate it by drilling down into one of those paths (/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA I think).

iironman

yes I had tried this with a single show and had strange metadata, but have tried again with another show and it seems fine.

When I start streaming an episode the NAS hits 98% CPU- why would this be?

Thanks

AdrianW

You shouldn't be adding media folders at the "show" level - you should really be adding a level above that (e.g. "TV" which would contain all your TV content).

The CPU is maxing out because it's transcoding and unless you have a higher-end Qnap, the CPU isn't likely to be that powerful.

Hopefully there's a way to get direct access to the content from the network - but I'm not sure how to do that.

iironman

thanks Adrian.

I was only adding "show" level for testing purposes:)

As for the NAS its a Qnap TS-853 Pro 8GB, 2G Celeron Quad core. not the most powerful but I would have thought it would have enough grunt. Shame Emby was looking good there for a while.

thanks again

AdrianW

I also have the TS-853 Pro but only the 2GB version. I'm only just starting playing around with Emby on it - I have my real Emby server on my NUC.

There has to be a way to get it to direct play at least in EMC and ET (Emby Theatre) from an Emby server running on the Qnap.

breezytm

thanks Adrian.

I was only adding "show" level for testing purposes:)

As for the NAS its a Qnap TS-853 Pro 8GB, 2G Celeron Quad core. not the most powerful but I would have thought it would have enough grunt. Shame Emby was looking good there for a while.

thanks again

Damn, make my TS-559 looks like a joke. 

I also have the TS-853 Pro but only the 2GB version. I'm only just starting playing around with Emby on it - I have my real Emby server on my NUC.

There has to be a way to get it to direct play at least in EMC and ET (Emby Theatre) from an Emby server running on the Qnap.

I am also running my primary Emby server on a NUC . Works pretty well. 

I just finished configuring my settings. Just added my movies library. Currently scanning. Since my movies are in a direct play format and codecs (mp4, h264, aac and ac3 tracks) I want to see if it won't direct play the movies. 

iironman

snap!

My main goal was to integrate with Kodi. I am running openelec 5.08 (raspberry Pi2) Kodi 14.2 and obviously the NAS has all the media and mysql to sync all the players. I read that people were integrating the Kodi and Emby databases which is what I hoping for so I could view all my library from either Kodi or Emby (local network or remotely).

There are other options I may pursue.

How are you finding the transcoding on the NAS?

AdrianW

My CPU and RAM is at 90% range just doing the scanning. That's scary. 

That will probably be chapter image extracts - they're quite intensive. Once the first library scan has completed you shouldn't really see that issue again unless you add a heap of content all at once.

breezytm

Yeah. I know. My only worry right now is the amount of applications I have running on the server that run multiple tasks at the same time. I have sonarr, couchpotato, nzbget, plex, and now emby. I fear Emby may slow down my download speed in nzbget since it is so resources intensive. Additionally, what would happen when both plex and emby adding the same content to their library after a download is complete. I have both set to real time monitoring. Wait...I also have nzbget convert my download to mp4s. Can you imagine the server converting, plex extracting chapters and emby extracting chapters all at the same time. 

Edited by breezytm

bennymac

My CPU and RAM is at 90% range just doing the scanning. That's scary. 

Mine is also. At the moment I can't play anything due to the CPU getting a pounding. I'm going to need a faster QNAP.

Edited by bennymac

breezytm

Mine is also. At the moment I can't play anything due to the CPU getting a pounding. I'm going to need a faster QNAP.

My server is taking a serious beating. I feel sorry for it :D  :D  :D  :D . 

Hammerhead

Same problem here.

QNAP TS451

Emby Server

Nvidia Shield

Kodi client

Folders shared on network with password protection

I want to use Emby as the library server, but have Kodi access the ISOs directly.  The file path appears as /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/Multimedia/Movies but the 'network' button doesn't find the NAS.  I can't seem to figure out how to use the 'Path Substitution' dialog, so I don't know how to make the entries, and there doesn't seem to be much documentation on how to go about this.

Thanks in advance for any help!

mono does not currently supports Cifs so what you need to do is first mount it to a local share so that emby server can see it.

Hammerhead

mono does not currently supports Cifs so what you need to do is first mount it to a local share so that emby server can see it.

Ok, so in layman's terms, how would one go about doing that?

ETA: Presuming the share is to be done via Windows, I mapped the folder as Z:\Multimedia and then did this in the Path Substitution tab:

To:  /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/Multimedia/movies

Do I have it right?

Edited by Hammerhead

breezytm

if i understand correctly; you want to use path substitution on the qnap. 

if so, it will be 

library: /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/Multimedia/movies

path substitution: //server/Multimedia/movies

the emby kodi addon has the option to add your share credentials. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
One2Go

if i understand correctly; you want to use path substitution on the qnap. 

if so, it will be 

library: /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/Multimedia/movies

path substitution: //server/Multimedia/movies

the emby kodi addon has the option to add your share credentials. 

Sorry for digging up this old thread but I am having this problem of having a shared folder on the QNAP pointing to a server share on s different machine. Does this path substitution work with QNAP Firm Ware 20161214-4.2.2?

I can specify the library path to a local shared folder but in the next entry below "Path" it only will allow me to select a path that is local on the machine any other path entry will not allow me to create this shared folder.

One2Go

I am sorry for bothering with this old thread but found my answer it is far more complicated then a simple path substitution statement.