Show ffmpeg processes and allow them to be terminated from the WebUI

AdrianW

AdrianW

This morning when I woke up and I could hear my NUC's fan working overtime. I knew straight away that there must be a rogue ffmpeg process chewing up CPU, and there was - I've no idea why it needs to run for over six hours without terminating though.

I often get these processes left over when I've tested the iOS app or viewed content in a browser.

Please add some indication of running ffmpeg processes to the WebUI and if possible also add the ability to kill them.

• Like 8

I think when this happens it is because we don't know about the process in the first place.  So this particular request wouldn't really help.

I believe the most likely scenario for encountering this is when you attempt to start a transcode stream and exit the app/page before that stream actually starts.

AdrianW

Would it be possible to just show *any* ffmpeg processes on the machine? Regardless of how they were initiated. I only use my NUC for Emby server and EMC (and eventually ET) - so there won't be any ffmpeg processes started from other apps.

Deihmos

I wish you guys could solve this issue. Depending on how I close the ios app the ffmepeg process will continue running and when it comes to live tv it will run forever. Sometimes the video does not play but the ffmpeg process will continue. 

I do agree on the requested feature. I'm having the same problem using an iOS device. Every time this happen I'm forced to remote connect to my server, list all ffmpeg process and kill them. The problem is that on low powered hardware 2 or more ffmpeg process can set the cpu usage to 100% and any additional transcoding process will run at very low speed.

AdrianW

Best way to get the dev's attention is by "liking" the first post. That increases the green number shown in the forum letting them know how many users think it's an important issue.

Would it be possible to just show *any* ffmpeg processes on the machine? Regardless of how they were initiated. I only use my NUC for Emby server and EMC (and eventually ET) - so there won't be any ffmpeg processes started from other apps.

I don't really see that within the scope of what we should be doing.  There are plenty of process managers that can be used for that by people who know what they are doing.

The real issue is that we need to get complete knowledge and control of the processes we start and not strand them.  This would be an ugly band-aid on that real problem.

• Like 1

Ok, but I think that is within the scope of application server to show the currently transcoding process (like the movies in progress) given the possibility to terminate them.

Regarding the problem I have noted that 80% of times this happen when I use the Live TV.

nickglott

I was beginning to wonder if I am the only person have ffmpeg problems. I notice when using LiveTV I always seem to have extra ffmeg process running and I can not create a new stream until I kill the ffmegs process that dont seem to end properly. I currently have 2 servers one in DC(local) and one in PA(remote for local sport) I constantly have to use remote desktop to end them so I can get LiveTV to work. The remote server is just used for livetv only. I agree the real solution would be to get them to start/end properly or if it can check to see if the stream is still currently transmitting and if not end it. Hope you can figure out what the problem is.

edit...I will add they are windows 7 servers and watching using chrome or android app or embytheater 

Edited by nickglott

I was beginning to wonder if I am the only person have ffmpeg problems. I notice when using LiveTV I always seem to have extra ffmeg process running and I can not create a new stream until I kill the ffmegs process that dont seem to end properly. I currently have 2 servers one in DC(local) and one in PA(remote for local sport) I constantly have to use remote desktop to end them so I can get LiveTV to work. The remote server is just used for livetv only. I agree the real solution would be to get them to start/end properly or if it can check to see if the stream is still currently transmitting and if not end it. Hope you can figure out what the problem is.

edit...I will add they are windows 7 servers and watching using chrome or android app or embytheater 

The easiest way to strand an instance of ffmpeg right now is to try to start a live tv channel and then back out of the now playing screen before the stream actually starts.  So, until we get this perfected, if you can avoid that as much as possible it may help you out.

• 2 weeks later...
MSattler

The easiest way to strand an instance of ffmpeg right now is to try to start a live tv channel and then back out of the now playing screen before the stream actually starts.  So, until we get this perfected, if you can avoid that as much as possible it may help you out.

Here is the issue I have with this..... I get that some of these ffmpeg process go rogue because Emby doesn't know about them.  But how in the world can I tell which one of the 5-6 ffmpeg processes that are running are being used, and which are rogue?  And yes my server is that busy at times.

What I'd like to see is the ability in the first screen where we show active users, what they are watching, and the transcode speed, to add the ffmpeg pid there.   Even in a case where we have a ffmpeg process that isn't known to Emby, I can at least know which processes that are listed are actually being used, so I can kill off the rogue processes.

• Like 3

MrWebsmith

+1 to this.. also if theres a sched task (like chapter extract) that is the source of the ffmpeg process... show those as well..

• 2 months later...