Problem setting up libraries

HPBirkeland
Go to solution Solved by geaves,

HPBirkeland

Hi,

I am in the process of setting up my first Emby server, on Linux Mint 17.2. I don't know if my problem is Linux related or what. The thing is, I have some serious trouble setting up my media libraries.

I have my media stored locally on the system's main user, called "hpb". 3 main folders; "Musikk", "Bilder" and "Videoklipp". These are the normal Music, Pictures and Videos folders made by Mint. Within the Videos folder I have subfolders for movies, music videos, home videos and TV series. The TV series folder is so far empty. All folders and subfolders have 777 permissions.

I have managed to make libraries for music, pictures and music videos, but I am not able to make any more. When I try to make the movie library f ex, I choose the content type and name, navigate to the Movies folder and click OK, the popup disappears, but no new library is made. This is making me kind of crazy. Also, it took several attempts to make the other libraries. Neither of them worked on first try. Any ideas?

Edit: Out of desperation I tried to delete the empty TV series folder. And by some strange reason that seemed to help! I don't know why an empty folder should be a problem...

Edited by HPBirkeland

Hi,

What browser are you using? Can you elaborate more on how adding libraries didn't work on the first try? thanks.

HPBirkeland

Hi,

I am using Chrome.

First time I tried to add libraries I clicked the Add Media Library on the Library page. Went through the steps of choosing content type, display name and adding the folder. Then OK and OK again. The popup disappears and the new library is supposed to show up beside the Add Media Library button, but it just did not. This happened several times for all my folders. Suddenly on one attempt it worked for the Music Videos folder. After a few more attempts it also worked for Music and Pictures. Movies and Home Videos did not work until I deleted the empty TV Series folder. It could seem like this empty folder blocked something, it's just that the Music Videos folder is also in the same parent folder, so if this was logical that one would have been blocked too.

augiedogie

I installed Emby Server on my laptop running Kubuntu 15.10 and I'm trying to add a media library without success. I have my media on an external hard drive that's connected to my wireless router. I can access the media in Dolphin via smb://10.203.225.108/Seagate Backup Plus Drive/, but how do I add this as a media library? The GitHub Wiki page says:

"Important: If you are going to use one of the HTPC apps (Classic, Theater, or Kodi) it is very important to use the Path Substitution feature to translate the server's local paths to network ones or define your media locations with network UNC paths that those machines can see."

I plan on using Kodi, so how do I do this?

Vidman

I installed Emby Server on my laptop running Kubuntu 15.10 and I'm trying to add a media library without success. I have my media on an external hard drive that's connected to my wireless router. I can access the media in Dolphin via smb://10.203.225.108/Seagate Backup Plus Drive/, but how do I add this as a media so... almost.. -ish.. you want the ability to take a "tagged set of items" and promote it to library view status based on that tag/tags... only saying tags cause its a function already built in to "collate" items together based on some arbitrary logic that you are providing...

yea.. id have uses for this as well... good idea? The GitHub Wiki page says:

"Important: If you are going to use one of the HTPC apps (Classic, Theater, or Kodi) it is very important to use the Path Substitution feature to translate the server's local paths to network ones or define your media locations with network UNC paths that those machines can see."

I plan on using Kodi, so how do I do this?

Use the 10.203.225.108/Seagate Backup Plus Drive/ as the path in your library setup, don't worry about path substitution

augiedogie

Use the 10.203.225.108/Seagate Backup Plus Drive/ as the path in your library setup, don't worry about path substitution

Thanks, I'll try that.

augiedogie

Now I'm receiving the following error message:  "There was an error adding the media path. Please ensure the path is valid and the Emby Server process has access to that location." I'm guessing I need to to give Emby access to that location - how do I do this? I'm the only user on this laptop and the external drive folder that I want to add has the following permissions:

566321cc3f170_folderpermissions.png

You need to share the entire drive to make this easier. Not the individual sub-folders. Go to the same window you show in your post above, but for the entire seagate drive, the root of it. Then click on the advanced permissions box. Then allow everyone read, write, modify, execute privileges.

Edited by speechles

HPBirkeland

@@augiedogie why are you hijacking my thread? Can't you start your own??? This has got nothing whatsoever to do with my problem.

Btw, anybody knows how to mark a thread as Solved?

Edited by HPBirkeland

augiedogie

You need to share the entire drive to make this easier. Not the individual sub-folders. Go to the same window you show in your post above, but for the entire seagate drive, the root of it. Then click on the advanced permissions box. Then allow everyone read, write, modify, execute privileges.

OK, I decided to change up a bit (since when I right-click the drive there weren't any options to do what you mentioned)...so I mounted the drive and created a share in Samba Server Configuration tool and made it Writable and Visible and gave everyone access to the drive. I still cannot add any media libraries from that drive - I still receive the same error.  Any other ideas?

@@augiedogie why are you hijacking my thread? Can't you start your own??? This has got nothing whatsoever to do with my problem.

Btw, anybody knows how to mark a thread as Solved?

What was your solution?

Now I'm receiving the following error message:  "There was an error adding the media path. Please ensure the path is valid and the Emby Server process has access to that location." I'm guessing I need to to give Emby access to that location - how do I do this? I'm the only user on this laptop and the external drive folder that I want to add has the following permissions:

566321cc3f170_folderpermissions.png

For those running from source, I've checked in a fix for the above issue with adding folders. The issue is not actually part of the tagged 3.0.5781.4 release, it's just something that was checked in after the fact, and now it's fixed. Thanks.

augiedogie

For those running from source, I've checked in a fix for the above issue with adding folders. The issue is not actually part of the tagged 3.0.5781.4 release, it's just something that was checked in after the fact, and now it's fixed. Thanks.

Does that mean I should re-install Emby Server?

• Like 1

augiedogie

No just do your normal update procedure.

Awesome, that fixed it! Thanks a bunch guys for your help in resolving this - you're doing a great job.

mediacowboy

Luke I am seeing this issue on the dev server on windows. Where Emby can not access the folders even though I have full windows permissions to the server.

HPBirkeland

What was your solution?

Solution was to delete the empty TV shows-folder. I re-added it later with content in it and there were no problems then. So obviously Emby doesn't like empty folders. Now how about marking the thread as solved and closing it so others can make their own threads?

• Solution

Solution was to delete the empty TV shows-folder. I re-added it later with content in it and there were no problems then. So obviously Emby doesn't like empty folders. Now how about marking the thread as solved and closing it so others can make their own threads?

Only you can mark the thread as solved as you created it and you should see an option 'Best Answer' next to Multiquote/Quote.

• Like 1

After the recent updates, I can not access the Emby server setup  - So... I cannot access the media libraries location (CentOS 6.7 using a media USB 2TB hard drive). Previously, the USB drive couldn't be accessed - And there's no IP address on a USB drive - Just a problem with Emby not recognizing drive owners, who are a member of the emby group (i.e. the actual file owner of the USB drive files).

But what happened to setup?????