Server constantly crashing or hanging

imagineverything

solidus28

May be too early to call, but after removing Auto Box Sets plugin and restarting nearly 8 hours ago, this is the first time in over 2 months that my htpc launched EMC successfully without having to restart the server again. I will leave it off and see if it continues to behave tomorrow.

I continue to run without issue and without restarting Emby server.  I am happy to attempt some testing if you'd like, but I'm digging not having to restart every day :)

I continue to run without issue and without restarting Emby server.  I am happy to attempt some testing if you'd like, but I'm digging not having to restart every day :)

Add some manual collections (with web interface) and see if the problem comes back.  Add as many as you are willing to take time for.

I don't think this is related to Auto Box Sets per se but, rather, the box sets themselves.

Ian-Highlander

Add some manual collections (with web interface) and see if the problem comes back.  Add as many as you are willing to take time for.

I don't think this is related to Auto Box Sets per se but, rather, the box sets themselves.

Mine's still rock solid even after manually adding a couple of collections. No freeze, no processor locking up for days now, it would have done it within hours before. Definitely seems to be if they've been created with the Autoboxsets plugin but possibly if manual ones are added too at that point. Very strange.

Mine's still rock solid even after manually adding a couple of collections. No freeze, no processor locking up for days now, it would have done it within hours before. Definitely seems to be if they've been created with the Autoboxsets plugin but possibly if manual ones are added too at that point. Very strange.

Or it could be related to the number of collections as Auto Box Sets creates a lot more than just a couple.

Or, it could be related to a specific collection that Auto Box Sets is creating and you are not.

Ian-Highlander

Or it could be related to the number of collections as Auto Box Sets creates a lot more than just a couple.

Or, it could be related to a specific collection that Auto Box Sets is creating and you are not.

Both also possible. Sorry, don't fancy manually creating up to 146 collections to test but zip file attached of all 146 xml files (in the folder structure, I've removed all the images) from when the issue happens, this may help you diagnose or may be no use at all. Let me know if I can do anything to help.

collections.zip

Kramerika

I am getting this same issue with spiked CPU usage although for me it only happens randomly when I open the app on the Fire TV or the Nvidia Shield TV.  I have not seen it happen outside of those circumstances yet, but it only started happening a few weeks ago.  The only way to fix it is to restart the Emby server.  If I do that, all is well until the next random occurrence on opening one of those apps.  I do not have any plugins installed other than the backup plugin.  I do have photos, home videos, movies, music, and collections in my library.  I have Windows 7 64-bit on an i7 with 6 GBs of memory using the latest stable version of Emby server.  I will post a log the next time that it happens.

Edited by Kramerika

• 3 weeks later...

If you want to give this another shot I've put up a dev version of AutoBoxSets that removes most of the "auto" that was there before.  It just runs at the end of each library scan now.

Worth knowing if that has an impact on this issue.

Ian-Highlander

If you want to give this another shot I've put up a dev version of AutoBoxSets that removes most of the "auto" that was there before.  It just runs at the end of each library scan now.

Worth knowing if that has an impact on this issue.

I'll give it a try later on and see if it has an impact at all.

Ian-Highlander

Hi @@ebr

Might be a daft question, but where do I get the dev version of Autoboxsets from? I have set the plugin updates level to dev, run the refresh plugin updates task and yet the plugins catalogue is still only showing 1.0.1.1 (Release) as being the last version I can get??

Edit: is it server version specific perhaps? I am a couple of versions or so behind (3.0.5783.0) on my current server install (if it ain't broke don't fix it sort of thing :lol: ).

Edited by Ian-Highlander

Happy2Play

If you go to the catalog then to Auto boxset plugin use Select version drop down just above install buttom.

Ian-Highlander

If you go to the catalog then to Auto boxset plugin use Select version drop down just above install buttom.

Thanks, I knew that though and had already checked.

yes it will be limited by server version as well

Thought that might be the case, thanks.

Will need to spin up my test server and upgrade it first and check it through to make sure none of the new changes have affected things the wife won't like :lol:  and then upgrade my main one assuming there's no issues.

@@ebr I'll test it for you as requested once I've had chance to do all that, probably this weekend.

Edited by Ian-Highlander

Ian-Highlander

Server upgraded to 3.0.5821.0 and dev version of autoboxsets installed. Will keep an eye on it and update accordingly.  :)

Ian-Highlander

No hangs as yet (although it's early days of course), but media library scans are now taking 12+ mins when previously they were taking less than 2. Would you expect that sort of impact from the autoboxsets plugin running at the end of each scan?

From my personal perspective (although I accept that this probably doesn't reflect most peoples views), I'd prefer it if it didn't run automatically on every scan and I could just trigger it as and when I wanted to manually or even on a schedule if need be but whilst keeping the much less automatic functionality (it did used to have a habit of removing manually added items in the past so I'm all for that not happening now).

Edited by Ian-Highlander

Ian-Highlander

Took just under 7 minutes this time round (sat on 72.3% for what seemed like an age).

This is a log of just the scan and nothing else (cleaned the log files before hitting scan media library button). It looks like autoboxsets is having a problem with two or three of the box sets (a couple of which are ones I created manually), other than that, I don't see much, is there a long time out on those waiting for the moviedb to reply or something perhaps?

Slightly curious about this line:

"2016-02-05 14:33:00.0937 Info Auto Box Sets: Executing Automatic BoxSet creation.  Found 180 potential box sets."

when there are actually 149 boxsets after the scan why didn't it create the rest?

server-63590227199.txt

Edited by Ian-Highlander

Ian-Highlander

Thanks Luke, that's even stranger then as nothing has changed on my system at all apart from the upgrade from 3.0.5783.0 to 3.0.5821.0 other than Autoboxsets and previously all my scans were sub two minutes. Admittedly it's not the end of the world, but being the OCD nutter I am, I like to know things are working the best they can be. :)

Could anything in the new version have perhaps had this effect?

Ian-Highlander

So I thought I'd do a quick test.

Uninstalled autoboxsets again and deleted the content of the collections folder. Restarted Emby and media scan back down to 2 mins and 8 seconds almost exactly what it's always been. So I would say that somewhere along the line Autoboxsets (or collections at the very least) IS causing the longer scan times and an up to ten minute increase on a normally 2 minute scan is beyond what I would suggest is reasonable. Can we have this version of autoboxsets but one that we trigger manually when we want it instead of it automatically tagging onto the end of the media scan to test the theory please?

Edited by Ian-Highlander

Happy2Play

when there are actually 149 boxsets after the scan why didn't it create the rest?

Possibly only have one movie of the boxset.

Ian-Highlander

Re-installed autoboxsets and scan times are now back up to 8+ mins again. Is this the effect of having collections or is it the effect of using autoboxsets?

Happy2Play

Has to be system related.  My scans takes 1 minute 19 seconds for me with Auto Boxset, and 1 minute 15 seconds without.

Executing Automatic BoxSet creation.  Found 203 potential box sets.

Re-installed autoboxsets and scan times are now back up to 8+ mins again. Is this the effect of having collections or is it the effect of using autoboxsets?

As Luke pointed out above, the plug-in is costing you 5 extra seconds on your scan so it has to be the processing of the collections themselves.

Slightly curious about this line:

"2016-02-05 14:33:00.0937 Info Auto Box Sets: Executing Automatic BoxSet creation.  Found 180 potential box sets."

If you had debug logging turned on you would see the answer :).

The other 31 didn't meet your minimum item criteria (as Happy conjectured).

• Like 1