Emby Server for Qnap - how to update?

bennymac

bennymac

G'day.

I installed Emby on my QNAP using via the APP catalog. So excited...

The install went ok and the version installed is 3.0.5724.6 and i'd like to update it.

Does anyone know the process for doing this?

Edited by bennymac

bennymac

I won't go hounding people for a new version update as yet, I'm sure they'll get to it in due time.

Just as an FYI, I just installed Emby to try it out and the QNAP repository still had the earlier release.  I know it has only been out a couple days, so not in a big rush.

breezytm

I spoke with the qpkg owner last night and asked him to update the package to the latest version. Last night he packaged it. I reached out to him again this morning and he informed me that the appcenter doesn't have the latest version because his colleague probably did not upload it there yet. So give them a minute or two to do so. In the meanwhile, feel free to go download the file here and manually update your qnap package. That's if you can't wait of course. 

Edited by breezytm

bennymac

I spoke with the qpkg owner last night and asked him to update the package to the latest version. Last night he packaged it. I reached out to him again this morning and he informed me that the appcenter doesn't have the latest version because his colleague probably did not upload it there yet. So give them a minute or two to do so. In the meanwhile, feel free to go download the file here and manually update your qnap package. That's if you can't wait of course. 

Wicked. Thanks heaps. I'll get on the forum later on and thank him.

I really want to get a new NAS now and consolidate Emby to a single appliance.

Do you reckon there's the possibly that QNAP could get a client one day also, something like ET maybe?

The server and client being on the same NAS would rock.

bennymac

You can do so now by installing Kodi and the Emby Kodi plugin on the nas box if it has an HDMI port  :D

Interesting...I wonder what the QNAP media remote it like. I'm not sure if I should try an all QNAP solution or have the NAS deliver content to a Intel NUC.

I'll have to play.

Edited by bennymac

breezytm

I would rather go with the NUC. That way you don't have to buy a speedy QNAP for big bucks. But if your QNAP can run the Emby server, I would suggest you just get an Nvidia Shield or another client that is low powered. Save some money in energy bill. If the QNAP and Emby works out for me, I will be getting rid of my NUC. It doesn't use too much power but it uses more than the shield. 

Cost saving at all cost  :D

AdrianW

... I would suggest you just get an Nvidia Shield or another client that is low powered. Save some money in energy bill. If the QNAP and Emby works out for me, I will be getting rid of my NUC. It doesn't use too much power but it uses more than the shield. 

I'd considered a Shield - but I wonder how it compares to a full PC like the NUC. With the NUC I can use MPC-HC as an external player with MadVR and refresh rate switching. Can a shield do that?

breezytm

I'd considered a Shield - but I wonder how it compares to a full PC like the NUC. With the NUC I can use MPC-HC as an external player with MadVR and refresh rate switching. Can a shield do that?

Refresh rate switching may be available in the next update release. 

Hammerhead

I might be able to help.

I'm a new owner of a QNAP TS451 running Emby on the NAS to a Shield running Kodi, so more or less I've got all the bases covered.  My goal was similar to bennymac's where I wanted a single repository of files (BluRay ISOs) and metadata for ease of maintenance (because librarys don't always get scraped correctly) and to keep the thumbnails where I have the most space.

Kodi was the right solution for me on the 'head end' (client) because I liked the customizability and broad variety of extensions and clients.  The question came down to how best to manage the library.  As to the Shield, it's terrific.  It has far more graphical processing power for streaming ISOs from my NAS, but because it's an Android OS, also supports the little bit of gaming I do and other apps that I find of use.

For weeks, I agonized over the various methods.

MySQL and custom 'advancedsettings.xml' files for each Kodi device

UPnP library sharing

Twonky

Emby... and so on.

I've settled on Emby, per this post I made on the Nvidia Shield forum where I asked for help troubleshooting how to get MySQL configured.  Perhaps you might find it helpful:

I decided to give up on MySQL for a couple reasons. First, the challenge in overcoming issues like this [MySQL & Sheild not connecting to create/configure DB] for every device I might want to add, but also because if each device keeps thumbnails locally, and the library isn't scraped properly, it means I'd have to update every local copy to correct the images. Based on even my modest library, I had to correct five out of 27 movies and I'm nowhere near done.

Be that as it may, I also gave up on UPnP because of how Kodi runs on my NAS. On the QNAP TS451, running Kodi requires their 'HD Station' that manages the HDMI output and (I'm guessing here) probably creates a VM because certain apps do not incorporate a true server platform, Kodi included. So I'm running Kodi in a VM and the only way to access it is by physically attaching a monitor or TV to the NAS (not easily done in my home), requiring also that I have a mouse/keyboard available for navigation meaning that I can't manage the platform remotely.

Emby server has turned out to work well enough that I think I'll stick with it for now. It runs as a server and can be accessed directly by web from any machine to update the library and make changes. Perhaps some day I'll also play around with Twonky (also an option on my NAS and runs as a service in the background) but since Emby has plugins for Kodi, I'm good to go for now.