Intel Quick Sync

Sammy

A quick question about the new transcoding option..

I have a Radeon HD 7850  video card and don't use the internal intel video card on my Haswell system.

Will this still work? Is it processing outside of the video card? 

grouik1er

Version 3.0.5781.4

Core i7-377K

quicksync activate

Hello,

i test the last version just release today for this ULTRA BIG NEWS of Quicksync encoding, so i'm happy to feedback.

I have Freeze on my configuration.

Same movie, launch twice, 1st Freeze at 2min25, i stop relaunch movie Freeze at 2min46.

FFMEG Process at 15% during movie, 15-20% after Freeze

Transcoding Temp folder have disk space

Thanks

server-63584591794.txt

transcode-5e12229d-0087-411a-a05e-9000d823211a.txt

post-35651-0-63970300-1448992449_thumb.png

• Like 1

grouik1er

I desactivate the option "Activate the Throttling" it seem to be ok.

If it help

Edited by grouik1er

Chillout

If you use an AMD or NVIDIA  graphics card, you may have to enable the intel GPU to allow programs to use Quicksync even if its not connected to a monitor.

I found the Action! tutorial helpful although I still cannot get Quicksync to work without it crashing FFMPEG during a transcode.

So maybe this trick doesnt work, my sandy bridge CPU isnt compatible or a million other reasons why it doesnt work. 

https://mirillis.com/en/products/tutorials/action-tutorial-intel-quick-sync-setup_for_desktops.html

Edited by Chillout

legallink

If you use an AMD or NVIDIA  graphics card, you may have to enable the intel GPU to allow programs to use Quicksync even if its not connected to a monitor.

I found the Action! tutorial helpful although I still cannot get Quicksync to work without it crashing FFMPEG during a transcode.

So maybe this trick doesnt work, my sandy bridge CPU isnt compatible or a million other reasons why it doesnt work. 

https://mirillis.com/en/products/tutorials/action-tutorial-intel-quick-sync-setup_for_desktops.html

I've got a sandybridge CPU as well.  There are a variety of issues of why this will/will not work with FFMPEG.  Short story, FFMPEG will most likely need to be slightly modified (there are rumors that one of the dedicated members of this forum is going to work on that) and you have to run Emby in the tray on the user level.  Regardless of whether Quicksync is functioning for you outside of Emby (which it is for me), there will be other issues at play before it works with Emby.

Long story - I'll let someone more intelligent than me explain that.

Chillout

Legalink: thanks for confirming my suspicions about Emby (FFMPEG) quicksync not working with my generation of intel CPU.  I got it to work outside of Emby using Action! and a quicksync encoding program so I know its enabled.   Honestly, I dont see much effort in FFMPEG supporting a CPU technology long passed... 

Transcoding via Quicksync is a great idea when it works, but its such a quirky technology that it may be more trouble for the developers than its worth because it brings a laundry list of problems. 

Edited by Chillout

legallink

I am using Windows 7

Than you are in the same boat as I am.  My previous statements are correct (as far as I know).  If you have access to a WIndows 8 or 10 machine and you updated to the most recent Direct X, you could see if that would/does work.

• 2 weeks later...
grouik1er

Legalink: thanks for confirming my suspicions about Emby (FFMPEG) quicksync not working with my generation of intel CPU.  I got it to work outside of Emby using Action! and a quicksync encoding program so I know its enabled.   Honestly, I dont see much effort in FFMPEG supporting a CPU technology long passed... 

Transcoding via Quicksync is a great idea when it works, but its such a quirky technology that it may be more trouble for the developers than its worth because it brings a laundry list of problems.

I would be nice to report which CPU revision is working without problem.

Edited by grouik1er

Koleckai Silvestri

I would be nice to report which CPU revision is working without problem.

Probably not much of a help to people in this thread but I have Quick Sync working on my Skylake (6th generation) i5. I had to install the drivers from Intel's website before it would turn on, though.

This is what I installed: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25150/Intel-Iris-Iris-Pro-and-HD-Graphics-Production-Driver-for-Windows-10-64-bit 

Unfortunately, that driver only supports 4th generation (Haswell) and higher. For older CPUs you would probably have to search Intel's website.

Koleckai Silvestri

Will quicksync work on Windows Server 2012 r2?

I don't see why not. That is built with a kernal similar to Windows 8.1. I am using it with Windows Server Essentials 2016 Technical Preview right now. Quick Sync isn't new to it.

• 3 weeks later...

everytime you update your video drivers that qualifies as an update. there have been no emby changes to it, but anytime we update ffmpeg that also will affect the feature. we'll probably update again soon.