No Direct Stream Live TV

theniteow1
Go to solution Solved by theniteow1,

knight09

Is there any way to reduce cpu/gpu load on the amazon fire stick? Perhaps the ability to reduce video quality (frame rate, resolution, multi channel audio,) would allow HD direct stream TV to play 1st gen FTVS? Kind of like the controls on the web client where you can reduce the resolution and bitrate, even if I have to reduce it to 420p it would be better than streaming a SD channel because the SD channels have black bars above below and on either side of the video.

well that's what server transcoding does, and the client can use the server for that if it needs to.

knight09

Gotcha. Transcoding has been working flawlessly with the Fire stick for me so Ill stick with that, I was just looking to reduce 90% CPU load on my server :)

Thanks!

Edited by knightboy09

theniteow1

Glad it works.  You would think it would be straightforward to get the ip address of the machine a program is running on in code, but as you can see it sometimes fails (at least the method I am using does anyway).

I'm sure there is always going to be quirks depending on how a server is setup and what equipment is attached, if there are multiple NICs, etc. IMHO, I think having an option to hardcode the IP address in the GUI, and to have some verbiage that declares it must be the actual IP address of the server would be the best, rather than fiddling with the logic of how the IP address is determined.  Thanks again for heading me into the right direction guys!

• 7 months later...
epayson85

Just an FYI using these exact settings and turning off dlna I don't get the same result.  I'm on the latest beta version of Serverwmc and if I use these settings on both a nexus player and firetv I just get a spinning circle.  Looking at the log serverwmc is using the correct ip for my server when using http.  If I turn directplay off on either client then it plays just fine but of course it transcodes.

Also on a side note the latest version of serverwmc when using this method the streams get stuck.  Regardless of transcoding or not.  If I exit emby on the clients the streams continue to play via serverwmc.  I have to completely restart emby server to make the streams close.  This doesn't happen with DLNA enabled however it does open two streams for each channel I try.  This is only on the status page though.  On the Tuner page it is accurate and when I stop playback it stops the stream on the tuner.  One of the two streams that appear on the status page remains though and if you try to restart serverwmc it says you can't because a stream is active.

You should keep Dlna on. Turning it off is not supported in Emby.

Further, the built-in live tv functions are taking advantage of newer HDHR features to allow more direct play, and I don't think ServerWMC is doing this right now (although I'm happy to share if krustyreturns wants to add it). That is why I suggested using the built-in functions.

epayson85

I completely understand using the built in functions but its just not going to work with all my hardware.  The beauty of serverwmc is I won't get tuner errors on wmc when watching live tv from other clients.  if Krustyreturns can get DLNA working correctly it would be awesome.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
epayson85

I actually have an old 6 tuner Ceton pcie which is whats keeping from completely switching.  Another reason I have been staying away from updates because ceton no longer supports the device.  Just saw that HDhomerun is showing off a 6 tuner prime at CES.  Sounds like it will be released this summer so hopefully I can get my hands on one.  I don't have any channels with DRM issues so its a possibility that I give EMBY complete control over my server at that point and I finally leave windows 7.  

• Like 1