No Direct Stream Live TV

theniteow1
Go to solution Solved by theniteow1,

theniteow1

Here is my setup:

HTPC Server

-----------------

Windows Media Center 7/Server WMC v1.0.0.58 Build 1199 installed on one computer

2 Hauppauge Digital DCR-2650 (CableCARD)

2 ATI Theater 650 (OTA)

Emby Server is installed on a separate box and I have the new FireTV 2015, as well as 2014 version.  I am able to Direct Play all my media, TV Shows movies, etc which is on another NAS Box.  However, I am unable to get the Direct Stream of Live TV working.  The only way I am able to get it to work is to turn off Direct Stream Live TV on my Fire TV, then it will transcode the TV just fine.  However, this is horribly inefficient, as this server will be hosting the whole house, with multiple people watching TV at once.  Transcoding just isn't realistic.  I would really like to get Direct Stream to work.  Has any body got this successfully working?  I've attached my ServerWMC logs and Emby logs.  I appreciate any help you guys can offer.

• Like 1

mellomade

Unfortunately you won't get Live TV to direct play with the FireTV because it does not support AC-3 audio in the .TS container.

Unfortunately you won't get Live TV to direct play with the FireTV because it does not support AC-3 audio in the .TS container.

This isn't true anymore with our app.

• Like 1

theniteow1

Interesting thing I noted today, when I watch the Emby Server "Server" dashboard, it will just say "Transcoding" but will not give any details as of the bitrate, etc. on the Fire TV device when I try to Stream Live TV.  It's like it just get's stuck in a weird state.

ServerWmc is writing the stream to a temporary file. It has a setting somewhere to switch to http mode, try toggling that.

theniteow1

I tried using HTTP mode, and it seems to make it worse, or doesn't even work at all.  How does Emby know to switch between that and HTTP mode?

krustyreturns

I don't understand.  Serverwmc prepares the live stream the same way for every emby client, it doesn't know whether the emby client is firetv or anything else.   I looked at the serverwmc log and it is starting the streams and sending the stream media info to emby, if it has to something additionally to enable direct streaming I will need to be enlightened.  @@theniteow1 if you want to post your live stream logs after turning on http streaming ( as described here:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/22609-fix-for-problem-of-live-streams-stopping-early/), I will look a look at it.

I don't understand.  Serverwmc prepares the live stream the same way for every emby client, it doesn't know whether the emby client is firetv or anything else.   I looked at the serverwmc log and it is starting the streams and sending the stream media info to emby, if it has to something additionally to enable direct streaming I will need to be enlightened.  @@theniteow1 if you want to post your live stream logs after turning on http streaming ( as described here:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/22609-fix-for-problem-of-live-streams-stopping-early/), I will look a look at it.

you don't really have to do anything other than making http mode the default and supplying as much media info as possible.

theniteow1

Ok, I enabled the HTTP service, and turned on direct stream live TV on the Fire TV.  Tried to watch a couple of stations and all it does is give the spinning icon, and nothing tunes in.  Here is the latest logs as well as some screen shots from Emby Server.

ffmpeg encountered an error when trying to access that url:

http://192.168.235.186:9180/serverwmc.stream/StreamRemuxFile?clientName=Emby%5eTCSERVER%5e27: Unknown error

theniteow1

Ok, so I noticed that too.  When I turn on the HTTP service, it breaks Live TV all together.  That IP address is for one of my Hauppauge 2650 Tuners.  The actual IP address of the server is 192.168.1.12.  Shouldn't it be using that IP Address instead?  Why is ServerWMC choosing that IP Address?

krustyreturns

The address 192.168.235.186 should be the IP of the computer that is running serverwmc, is that not the correct address for that machine?

theniteow1

The address 192.168.235.186 should be the IP of the computer that is running serverwmc, is that not the correct address for that machine?

No, that's the IP Address of one of my Hauppauge 2650 Digital CableCARD Tuner.  If you go into Network Control panel it shows it as though it were a network card, but the real network adapter is 192.168.1.12.  It's for some reason automatically picking that address when I enable HTTP.

theniteow1

BTW, I figured out how to make ServerWMC use 192.168.1.12 by editing the Config.xml file and putting in the following entry:

<ForceLocalServerIPAddress>192.168.1.12</ForceLocalServerIPAddress>

I have yet to test the streaming though as I am not at home, so that may have done the trick.  I will keep you guys posted.

• Solution
theniteow1

Guys, I am happy to report that did the trick!! ServerWMC was picking up one of my tuners and reporting it as my main server IP address for some reason. I assumed not knowing any better that it was suppose to do that.  Is there anyway to change this behavior for other people that might encounter this issue?  Could the option be added to enforce the IP address in the GUI like I did with editing the Config.xml file?  Also,it would be great if it could be better documented that enabling HTTP is the key to making Direct Streaming work with the Fire TV.  Thanks for all your hard work gentlemen!  Fantastic products!

Edited by theniteow1
  • Like 1

knight09

Win8.1 running Emby 3.0.5781.4

SWMC 1.0.0.58   1199

Ceton InfiniTV6 ETH + CableCard

I was able to get direct stream to work on my 1st gen amazon fireTV stick after enabling HTTP settings on SWMC with no other intervention. Although I was only able to play standard definition channels smoothly, the video on HD channels stutter alot, pausing for up to 2 seconds  (audio was smooth). It appears that maybe the 1st gen amazon fire tv stick hw can not handle HD direct TV?  I replicated these settings on a 1st gen amazon fire TV box and HD direct TV played with no issue.

Win8.1 running Emby 3.0.5781.4

SWMC 1.0.0.58   1199

Ceton InfiniTV6 ETH + CableCard

I was able to get direct stream to work on my 1st gen amazon fireTV stick after enabling HTTP settings on SWMC with no other intervention. Although I was only able to play standard definition channels smoothly, the video on HD channels stutter alot, pausing for up to 2 seconds  (audio was smooth). It appears that maybe the 1st gen amazon fire tv stick hw can not handle HD direct TV?  I replicated these settings on a 1st gen amazon fire TV box and HD direct TV played with no issue.

I think that's probably the answer, yes.

krustyreturns

Glad it works.  You would think it would be straightforward to get the ip address of the machine a program is running on in code, but as you can see it sometimes fails (at least the method I am using does anyway).

• Like 1