"My Media" images keep defaulting

LqHnyBear
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

LqHnyBear

For some reason emby keeps using the default images for "My Media" folders. This just started happening with latest Version 3.0.5781.3. I can't seem to figure out how to get my images to show up and for some reason the first folder, boxsets doesn't default to the thumb image ever. Even when I delete the "Thumb" image it comes back on it's own after some time.

565966b1da49d_emby1.png

565966bd92bac_emby2.png

565966cd32ac0_emby3.png

Theodore

I have noticed similar behavior so I'll just tag along on your report - but it isn't just with media folder images, I am also getting the same behavior with movie posters and images.

Basically what I am seeing is if I use the web client to edit an image, it doesn't stay. For example I used the web client to change a movie poster and it appears to stay, but it reverts to the version in the media folder instead of the one I selected. Permissions on these folders has not changed, only the Emby Server version with the last update. The only way around this that has been working has been to go into the media folder and change the folder/poster image directly. The same holds on the media folder images.

I have noticed similar behavior so I'll just tag along on your report - but it isn't just with media folder images, I am also getting the same behavior with movie posters and images.

Basically what I am seeing is if I use the web client to edit an image, it doesn't stay. For example I used the web client to change a movie poster and it appears to stay, but it reverts to the version in the media folder instead of the one I selected. Permissions on these folders has not changed, only the Emby Server version with the last update. The only way around this that has been working has been to go into the media folder and change the folder/poster image directly. The same holds on the media folder images.

If you have a custom image inside a movie folder then this is expected behavior.

For example, let's say you've disabled saving of local metadata. Now you go and use the editor. Since you've disabled saving into media folders, it will be saved in an internal data folder. This will work until the next time the content gets refresh it will then notice your image inside your media folder and it will use that. That is what 99.9% of users want.

On the other hand, if you have local metadata saving enabled, then the issue is probably permissions. When you use the editor we try to save to your media folder, if it fails we then save to our internal folder. This will work for a time, but later the content will get refreshed and the original image inside the media folder will be re-discovered.

Unfortunately ,this is a lose-lose situation for us no matter what we choose. We use to just allow the image saving to fail due to permissions, but then on a daily basis we have to teach people how to configure folder permissions and it overwhelms us. So now, we make sure the image gets saved one way or another. If it fails due to permissions, we then save to the internal folder. If there's no pre-existing image then many users will never notice a problem, so for us this really cuts down on the issue reports.

LqHnyBear

If you have a custom image inside a movie folder then this is expected behavior.

For example, let's say you've disabled saving of local metadata. Now you go and use the editor. Since you've disabled saving into media folders, it will be saved in an internal data folder. This will work until the next time the content gets refresh it will then notice your image inside your media folder and it will use that. That is what 99.9% of users want.

On the other hand, if you have local metadata saving enabled, then the issue is probably permissions. When you use the editor we try to save to your media folder, if it fails we then save to our internal folder. This will work for a time, but later the content will get refreshed and the original image inside the media folder will be re-discovered.

Unfortunately ,this is a lose-lose situation for us no matter what we choose. We use to just allow the image saving to fail due to permissions, but then on a daily basis we have to teach people how to configure folder permissions and it overwhelms us. So now, we make sure the image gets saved one way or another. If it fails due to permissions, we then save to the internal folder. If there's no pre-existing image then many users will never notice a problem, so for us this really cuts down on the issue reports.

Why not make it so that if there is no media file, it doesn't try to save files?

Sorry, I responded to the previous poster even though it has nothing to do with what this topic was originally about. So your question I think is based on your original posting because it doesn't really make sense in the scenario I outlined.

LqHnyBear

Sorry, I responded to the previous poster even though it has nothing to do with what this topic was originally about. So your question I think is based on your original posting because it doesn't really make sense in the scenario I outlined.

Yes, sorry Luke. I'm asking about my original post. I don't understand why if it's just a folder that holds other movie folders it would even be checked for metadata or images. Never had this issue before. Is there a way I can set my images for those root folders and not have them changed. Plus why is the box sets folder not losing it's image like the other folders? It's all very confusing to me. :)

• Solution

I will review it but right now i would set the image into both the primary and thumb image types.

• Like 1