Emby Service Updater

hatharry

• 3 weeks later...
chjohans

I am using the exe-version since a few months ago. It worked for a couple of updates and it has since then stopped working. I read something about an update but can't find it on githup (which has not been updated in moths), and the linking between the two threads in this forum is quite confusing.

I do see references to others that have this working. So exactly which version should be used and where is it maintained?

chjohans

Thanks hatharry, got it installed.

One question tho, what is the default behavior of the script and can it be changed?

The reason I'm asking is because when using the exe-version I had it scheduled daily with option to restart the server only if it found an update. Then I had a schedule to force a weekly restart to take care of any necessary restarts in the case that some updated plugins needed a restart of the server.

Can the same thing be done with the script version as well?

chjohans

Sorry was a bit quick here, didn't fully read what you wrote and assumed it was command line options to your script. Of course it won't as it's just restarting the emby service through powershell :)

chjohans

By the way, this doesn't work as it will not start the Emby server again. I've noticed earlier that a restart of the Emby server usually ends up with an error message. It appears that it needs some time between stop and start or it will fail. So I'm just reusing a simple shell script that does this:

@echo off
net stop "Emby Server"
timeout 120
net start "Emby Server"

This has been proven to work reliable over time, just a restart of the service will usually leave the service not running.
Edited by chjohans

chjohans

Thanks hatharry, appreciated. I guess your approach is better since it will wait for the service to terminate rather than for a fixed time.

• 1 month later...
jeffshead

UPDATE: I updated PS to v5 and now it's working!

I can't get this to work. I get the following error when I run it with and without the "-installtask" switch:

XxD4MNe.png

I'm on a Win2012 box.

Edited by jeffshead

Spotta

I had this working lovely on my old box (from the .exe originally i think) 

but after building a new box (Win 7) I can only seem to get as far as the below error

58de0fafd8093_embyps.png

Spotta

Thanks for the Quick reply!

I installed this about 30 mins ago as Win 7 comes with PS v2 and I saw the previous poster had issues until they had upgraded to v5.

The version I am on is the latest, details are in the above image.

• 2 months later...
freddyfinn
Windows Service Updater Has started updating to beta level all of a sudden.  I tried what hansolo77 suggested however it's still downloading the beta.

OK, does the server automatically download and install the latest Stable build automatically, and just need restarted?  If so, I think I'll just take off the -download bit.  I seem to recall it does, so I'll try that out.  I'm still not sure what version of the Updater I should get, if it's the one in the 1st post, or the one FrostByte has (since his had some added functions).  But since it all worked before, I'm going to assume it's just a matter of that extra flag.  I'll report back my findings if it updates to the beta again even if though I have it set in the server settings to just get the Stable.

----

- Edit

I just changed the scheduled task to remove the -download flag, and now it's just the -restart flag.  Rather than wait 24 hours, I went ahead and ran the task.  Once it completed, I re-opened the Emby Server Dashboard, and found it was no longer on 3.0.8500 and is now on 3.1.6024.25990.  So I don't know what's going on.  I know it's this Updater utility that's doing it, because I had the task disabled for 2 days and it didn't do it then.  I'm going to try deleting the task and the program and re-download it.

----

- Edit 2 - Fixed it (maybe)!  I erased the existing Updater Folder, extracted the latest .zip from the Releases GitHub to a new Updater Folder.  Installed the latest stable over top of the beta/dev, restarted the server.  I then opened a command prompt and ran Emby.ServerUpdater.exe (no flags).  Waited and watched.  The server went down then came back up.  Reopened the Dashboard and it's the same version (latest stable)!  I then tried it with the -restart flag, and like before it just restarted without updating.  I then did the -restart -download and it still stayed the same (like it should)!  I'm happy now!

Quick question.. do I really need the -download flag if I'm also doing the restart?  It looks like in the OP you have it set so the (Default) without any flags will automatically restart and install any updates already.  If so, I'll just take all the flags off, and it should still work (update and restart) right?

Any suggestions?

freddyfinn

@@freddyfinn, I haven't updated the exe in a very long time I would recommend you move to the updated PowerShell script from the first post

Hi @@hatharry, that was the first thing I did. It's got me stumped why it just started happening. I used the updated installer as well v1.01 from your repository.

It's not a huge drama as installing the beta fixed a streaming issue I was having.

Edited by freddyfinn

wyerd

Thanks @@hatharry !  Working perfectly again. :) :)

Hmm.... I updated my power shell script with hatharry's latest, but it's still downloading the beta version of Emby server.

freddyfinn

Hmm.... I updated my power shell script with hatharry's latest, but it's still downloading the beta version of Emby server.

Make sure you reinstall the current stable release before you run the script otherwise you will stay on the beta Chanel.

• Like 1