Emby Service Updater

hatharry

Doonga

Hrm, ok. I thought I gave it a few minutes but I was multi-tasking so maybe it wasn't as long as I thought. I'll keep an eye out on the next server update. Thanks!

• 2 months later...
Volfan6415

Perhaps this has already been answered elsewhere, but why is this not part of the server as is?  Or is there anywhere to make it a plugin to the server (i am guessing not).

I can only assume there is some core level problem that prevents emby from implementing this directly in the server.

• Like 1

hatharry

I am currently working on including this feature to server. So far it works 99% of the time but the 1% the server kills its own process a few seconds after start up. My guess is server doesn't wait for other process's to close before restarting causing server to kill itself when the other process's finally close.

Volfan6415

I wonder if that's what happening to me while using the download currently. My server never ends up running again after the task does its upload.

Volfan6415

So i cloned the code off of GIT and built my own solution and added an extra startService() command in the restartservice method and now things are working.

• 4 weeks later...

The GIT repo seems to be an uncompiled program?  Could we get a compiled version up as well?  They don't look like powershell files, why do we have two things for the same thing in this thread?

• 1 month later...
hansolo77

I'm having some new issues with this.  Reported Here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/41134-emby-server-keeps-updating-to-beta/?p=383282

Basically, the updater is downloading the latest "dev" or "beta" build rather than the "Release" build.  This causes all my other addons to drop.  Would the authors be willing to check into this for me/us?  The program has been working great up until a few weeks ago.  I've narrowed down the problem to this updater, as I remain in the latest Release build until I launch the Updater Scheduled Task.

Thanks!

hansolo77

You got me.... I don't even know how to check. I've had this all working for months now with no issues. I don't even remember which version I grabbed, although I do remember asking which one I should use (earlier in this thread).

hansolo77

OK, does the server automatically download and install the latest Stable build automatically, and just need restarted?  If so, I think I'll just take off the -download bit.  I seem to recall it does, so I'll try that out.  I'm still not sure what version of the Updater I should get, if it's the one in the 1st post, or the one FrostByte has (since his had some added functions).  But since it all worked before, I'm going to assume it's just a matter of that extra flag.  I'll report back my findings if it updates to the beta again even if though I have it set in the server settings to just get the Stable.

----

- Edit

I just changed the scheduled task to remove the -download flag, and now it's just the -restart flag.  Rather than wait 24 hours, I went ahead and ran the task.  Once it completed, I re-opened the Emby Server Dashboard, and found it was no longer on 3.0.8500 and is now on 3.1.6024.25990.  So I don't know what's going on.  I know it's this Updater utility that's doing it, because I had the task disabled for 2 days and it didn't do it then.  I'm going to try deleting the task and the program and re-download it.

----

- Edit 2 - Fixed it (maybe)!  I erased the existing Updater Folder, extracted the latest .zip from the Releases GitHub to a new Updater Folder.  Installed the latest stable over top of the beta/dev, restarted the server.  I then opened a command prompt and ran Emby.ServerUpdater.exe (no flags).  Waited and watched.  The server went down then came back up.  Reopened the Dashboard and it's the same version (latest stable)!  I then tried it with the -restart flag, and like before it just restarted without updating.  I then did the -restart -download and it still stayed the same (like it should)!  I'm happy now!

Quick question.. do I really need the -download flag if I'm also doing the restart?  It looks like in the OP you have it set so the (Default) without any flags will automatically restart and install any updates already.  If so, I'll just take all the flags off, and it should still work (update and restart) right?

Edited by hansolo77

Happy2Play

That is rather odd the updater is pulling a specific old dev version.

hatharry

If you what your server to restart every time the task runs you will have to use both flags,

if you want your server to restart only when there is an update then use no flags.

hatharry

@@Happy2Play

----

- Edit 2 - Fixed it (maybe)!  I erased the existing Updater Folder, extracted the latest .zip from the Releases GitHub to a new Updater Folder.  Installed the latest stable over top of the beta/dev, restarted the server.  I then opened a command prompt and ran Emby.ServerUpdater.exe (no flags).  Waited and watched.  The server went down then came back up.  Reopened the Dashboard and it's the same version (latest stable)!  I then tried it with the -restart flag, and like before it just restarted without updating.  I then did the -restart -download and it still stayed the same (like it should)!  I'm happy now!

hansolo77

Ah, I see now. So alone it will only restart if there is an update. Cool. I'll still keep an eye on this and report back if it messes up again.

• 2 months later...
Volfan6415

Hey so i have been using this for awhile, however, recently it stopped working.  The service restarts and the task seems to run but emby doesn't actually update.  I have tried to run the program via command line to follow the console outputs however nothing actually outputs to the console so i can't see where the program is failing.  Any ideas?

Volfan6415

hatharry ... I deleted the folder and I can see where it creates a new folder with updates when the program runs again but the updates aren't actually applied?

Volfan6415

Ok so still not working, I have reset the server, reset the computer. I have also run the task when I can verify in the server that no transcoding is occurring. As I mentioned earlier I can see that the new update downloads, and if I delete the update folder and rerun the task a new update downloads it just does not get applied. What do I need to do to start debugging this?

Ok so still not working, I have reset the server, reset the computer. I have also run the task when I can verify in the server that no transcoding is occurring. As I mentioned earlier I can see that the new update downloads, and if I delete the update folder and rerun the task a new update downloads it just does not get applied. What do I need to do to start debugging this?

I can second this. Using Emby.ServerUpdater.exe file does not actually update the server. As per Volfan6415, it only downloads a ~25Mb zip file but nothing else happens. Tried running as Admin but no difference. Running on a Surface Pro 3 / Win10Pro / Emby Dev Server.

FYI, the .ps script works fine every time. When will the code be included in the server so this is no longer a manual process?

hatharry

@@Volfan6415, @@jordy i haven't put much time on this in a while. I'm current working on a service wrapper in which has been running on my server for quite some time.

Ive sent a pull request to the main code.

• Like 2

Volfan6415

Is there a major difference in the operation of the .ps script and the .exe? Perhaps this difference could lead to why the .ps script still works and the .exe is failing?  I can see in the code for the .exe that there are messages being written to the console, but when i run the .exe at the command line i don't see any messages. If i knew how to make those messages display i would be happy to debug and see if i can locate the problem.

I wonder what is taking so long to include this in the main server.  Anything that specifically needs testing? Happy to help out.  Maybe @@Luke can chime in with some insight.