Renaming Files Already Cataloged By Emby

Captainslow

Captainslow

I've recently started using Emby and I've found it to be an amazing tool for media management. I'm also using Sonarr to manage television shows. Sonarr also keeps track of the quality of the media. I believe this is based off of the name of the file. Currently, when I add media to my library in Emby I pass the files through FileBot and use the convention "Series Name - S0XE0X - Episode Name". When Sonarr sees this it just assumes it's a 720P (default for *.mkv) files when they are really of higher quality. I was thinking that I could just send the files back through FileBot and append something along the lines of [1080P][WEBDL] so that Sonarr categorizes things properly. I have a few questions, however.

1. Are square brackets the correct syntax for Emby to ignore characters in a file name? For example, "Series Name - S05E04 - Episode Name[1080P][WEBDL].mkv"?

2. Can I just rename files on the file system without affecting anything on the Emby side? Will the existing metadata still be valid or would those names need to change?

3. If the metadata needs to change would it be easier to just delete the existing metadata and then use the Metadata Manager to refresh everything?

4. Do I need to tell Emby about this new naming convention? Will it get angry and stop loving me if I make changes to the file system files?

5. Will these mutant file names ever show up on client side programs (i.e. Emby web interface, Kodi, etc.)? I'm assuming the names displayed on these programs are from the metadata and not the filename.

6. If I wanted to go to an extreme as to just delete my library in Emby, rename the files, recreate the library and have Emby re-scan the content and download everything would that be an option?

6. Is there anything else I should be aware of before undertaking this task?

It's not a huge deal if Sonarr shows the wrong file quality. This is more of a nice to have but I'd like to take advantage of all the features that all the software pieces provide so if I could make these file changes without affecting Emby adversely that would be great. If not then I'd rather keep Emby happy and chugging along and just live with the inaccurate Sonarr data.

Thanks for any help, comments, feedback, and/or guidance (both positive and negative).

aspdend

I can confirm that with Sonarr, mine is configured to add the [WEBDL-1080p] to the end of the filename automatically before it moves it to my server. Emby then picks up the metadata and ignores the text in [ ] the square brackets. Check your sonarr settings for this. I can also confirm that if Emby has not completed a scan fully before I view the files - then it will display the full filename, although after it has scanned the item, the proper metadata and filename is shown.

I don't know why you are using to filebot to move or rename episodes when Sonarr does all that for you, it will add the quality to the episode if you want

post-5762-0-18377400-1448397352_thumb.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...