Emby Web Client Stuttering

astronautlevel
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

astronautlevel

When trying to play video back via the web client, the video will play for a few seconds, stop for a few seconds, play for a few seconds, etc.

I do not experience these problems using the mobile application, only the web client. The phone and the computer are connected to the same network.

I have tried with the computer plugged into ethernet and connected to wireless and it did not make a difference

Here are the logs when I'm trying to play back over the web client: http://pastebin.com/RwD9u2T8

Never mind.  You are getting less than 8 frames per second on your transcode.  That is the answer to why it is stuttering.

What kind of hardware is the server on?

astronautlevel

It's running on an older desktop tower, which would probably explain the low frame rate when transcoding.

Why does this effect the web client, but not effect the mobile app? Is there anything I can do to fix it without upgrading my hardware?

• Solution

The apps are capable of playing more formats directly than a browser is.

You could convert the video to a format directly playable by the browser.  You could use folder-sync to accomplish this semi-automatically.

• Like 1

astronautlevel

Thank you so much for your help! Can I bother you with a few more questions?

It's currently an mkv, what format would you recommend for playback in a web browser?

Also, is folder-sync an emby tool, or is it an external application I would need to install?

supermau

No need to upgrade your server or trancode your collection :)

I had a similar issue with my setup, all my files are in MKV container with dual audio and SRT subtitles in english, spanish and french. The server would transcode the files no matter what, I did not want to change container to mp4 since it does not support subtitles or dual audio, only one audio stream... not good!!! And to change the container to webm means to transcode loosing quality and time, lots of time!!!

correction: mp4 does support multiple audio tracks, it is webm that doesn't support them at the time..

Here is the pleasant surprise!!! While making tests with my setup I found out Firefox does not support many formats due to the non open or commercial nature of the codecs, they only support native webm!!!

But Chrome supports those codecs natively (h.264, aac, mp3, srt) which are the codecs I use in my mkv containers. The only problem was that chrome didn't recognize the mkv extension and would not play it by itself and of course playing it through the server meant trancoding once again... 8-(

The painless solution: Believe it or not, the only thing I did was to rename the mkv extension to mp4 and voilà!!! No transcoding, no changing containers, nothing. The web client (only on Chrome, Firefox still asks the server to transcode) plays it directly without transcoding, whit both audios, subtitles, everything... Very Pleasent Surprise!!!

Hope this helps!

Edit: I guess I spoke too soon!!! No way of changing the audiotracks, it only plays the first audiotrack :(  I guess it is due to the lack of native support of multiple tracks in the browser (http://www.w3schools.com/tags/av_prop_audiotracks.asp)

Edited by supermau
  • Like 1