Animated gif support

skank

annisman

I would love to see this implemented, especially as a plug-in (ease of use), even a paid plug-in if that's how it has to be. Would absolutely use this, and I like the idea of only one poster being animated at a time (as you scroll over it).

Oracle

@@Luke, will this work on XBOX One?

EDIT: Stupid question. Figured that out quickly.

Edited by SPRINKLES-PC

xiosensei

I have read your previous replies! I would like this to be a main feature on the public release. please add my vote to this also!

Edited by xiosensei

Thomas64

I'm not much interested in using GIF's in the interfaces as art and and such. But, I would love it if they could be displayed in the same manner Pictures are...

I'm not much interested in using GIF's in the interfaces as art and and such. But, I would love it if they could be displayed in the same manner Pictures are...

Can you elaborate on that?

Thomas64

Sure!

I have a collection of Animated Gif's - just funny stuff I gathered over the years.. (I'm old - so have stuff from "back in the day" of the Internet/Web.. LOL)

I've tried to add them into a Pictures Library folder before - but they don't work. Appears to just show the first frame - or whatever they are made up of. (I've not tried in a while, though..)

I get they wouldn't be able to be resized or such (never could do that with them even when displaying from a picture viewer program that supported animated GIF's directly from Windows)...

So some of them could be ridiculously small on a large screen - but wouldn't be the case for all of them...

It would be great to just be able to create a folder for them - and have them display as is, but working, via Emby..

I've not come across a single other file type (that I have) which Emby wasn't able to "play"..

Thanks!

schnappi

Similar reason as to why was also looking for GIF support in earlier post (to view a few old families photos that are in GIF format.)

Edited by schnappi

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Thomas64

Just starting to kick around 4.0.1.0 - looks like the subfolders of Animated Gif's I had now "play"!

At least via the Web Interface - with pretty much all default settings..

Thanks for that!

Thomas

xiosensei

wait there is gif support now?? can we have that for posters and thumbs? I know that will require an update to every os emby is on.. but still, this is one of the most wanted features imo.

Just starting to kick around 4.0.1.0 - looks like the subfolders of Animated Gif's I had now "play"!

At least via the Web Interface - with pretty much all default settings..

Thanks for that!

How do you mean subfolders?

Thomas64

In a "Photos" library (content type = Home Videos & Photos), I have I have a few subdirectories (err, sub-folders) which contain only GIF's.

Previously, Emby would only display the first frame of the GIF.

But, I always left those sub-folders included in the main directory/folder - just in case they ever started working. And, I sometimes access with media directly with programs which did "play" them.

With 4.0.1.0 - every one of the GIF's I've looked at now "play" when displayed in Emby as a photo - at least with the Web Client, haven't tried any other app yet.

I am not attempting to use any GIF on any Menu as a Thumbnail.

In a "Photos" library (content type = Home Videos & Photos), I have I have a few subdirectories (err, sub-folders) which contain only GIF's.

Previously, Emby would only display the first frame of the GIF.

But, I always left those sub-folders included in the main directory/folder - just in case they ever started working. And, I sometimes access with media directly with programs which did "play" them.

With 4.0.1.0 - every one of the GIF's I've looked at now "play" when displayed in Emby as a photo - at least with the Web Client, haven't tried any other app yet.

I am not attempting to use any GIF on any Menu as a Thumbnail.

Perfect, understand completely, thanks

• 2 years later...
2 minutes ago, CBers said:

Seeing as @ebr locked the other thread.

I locked it and pointed it to this one that has all the same discussion in it.

CBers
11 minutes ago, ebr said:

I locked it and pointed it to this one that has all the same discussion in it.

Pointed it to a 6 year old thread that hadn't had any updates since 2019 !!

Just now, CBers said:

Pointed it to a 6 year old thread that hadn't had any updates since 2019 !!

Which would indicate not a lot of people thinking about this feature.  But, it is the same feature request and the same discussion.  There is no reason to duplicate it.  People can respond here.

CBers
11 minutes ago, ebr said:

Which would indicate not a lot of people thinking about this feature.  But, it is the same feature request and the same discussion.  There is no reason to duplicate it.  People can respond here.

The GIF images used to work as @Happy2Play stated here, but it seems support for them has since been removed.

Would be nice to have them supported again with some display options. 

• Thanks 1

outlawman

I did open that thread, but only because @Luke told me to do it, i did not know this existed, i am just saying that support dor gifs would be good for everyone or maybee no one but it's nice to have the option to use them or not, i just want to do something magical like when pictures move in HP, would be nice if posters or user pictures moved, it would make a better experience for some.

Edited by outlawman
  • Agree 1

• 1 year later...

Animated gif posters will be supported in Emby Server 4.8 - on detail screens only.

What that means is, when you're browsing lists, searching, etc, you won't see the animation, but you will see it on detail screens. Also please note that on some form factors such as mobile layouts in portrait orientation, we don't even show the poster anymore. But where it is used and the platform supports it, the animation will be supported.

• Like 3