Animated gif support

skank

gif support is in the beta but it's only for the server to recognize gifs. as we predicted earlier, the next thing that's probably going to happen is you're going to turn around and ask for UI changes in the apps specific to gifs

• 1 month later...
rschiks

There's an online database available. If you are considering support....check it out.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=215727&pid=2262254#pid2262254

Quote:

New animated posters and backgrounds have been added to the database: 43 new posters and 10 new backgrounds.

The database now contains 242 animated posters and 509 animated backgrounds of 421 different movies.

We do support gif as a recognized file extension, however no work has been done to ensure they stay animated when displayed within emby apps

rschiks

We do support gif as a recognized file extension, however no work has been done to ensure they stay animated when displayed within emby apps

Ah, I see. Well from my own experience I can tell people are going to appreciate it :-)

But like already said: people want to enable it or disable it in different parts of the interface.

Edited by rschiks

laie_techie

The issue is that most image resizing libraries only grab the first frame from the GIF.

• 6 months later...
maximilianh75

I Try To Upload an animated Gif but not allow me The File Show and can be selected but I can't Upload

Any possibility to add 2 new categories like animated poster and animated fanart like kodi has???

• 4 months later...
cw-kid

I am just testing Kodi V17 final with the Estuary V1 Mod skin. I am using the Emby add-on for Kodi also.

There is an option in their skin settings to show animated posters. 

Initially I couldn't see any animated posters, but now in the movie library some have just started to appear. 

I have no idea where they are coming from though or where they are being stored. They are not being stored in the movies folder on the file server with the other metadata and artwork images. So must be local on the Kodi PC somewhere. 

I have the Kodi Artwork Downloader add-on installed but I don't use it as Emby server obviously does all the metadata and artwork image grabbing. 

Looking in the Artwork Downloader add-on for Kodi I cannot even see an option for animated posters, so unsure where they come from? 

They look pretty cool though ! 

I am just testing Kodi V17 final with the Estuary V1 Mod skin. I am using the Emby add-on for Kodi also.

There is an option in their skin settings to show animated posters.

Initially I couldn't see any animated posters, but now in the movie library some have just started to appear.

I have no idea where they are coming from though or where they are being stored. They are not being stored in the movies folder on the file server with the other metadata and artwork images. So must be local on the Kodi PC somewhere.

I have the Kodi Artwork Downloader add-on installed but I don't use it as Emby server obviously does all the metadata and artwork image grabbing.

Looking in the Artwork Downloader add-on for Kodi I cannot even see an option for animated posters, so unsure where they come from?

They look pretty cool though !

The skin uses the skin helper service which reads the animated posters from an online database.

Edited by rschiks

• 4 months later...
legallink

Just bumping this up.  Like it if you want this feature!  We love it....though agreed that if it was every wall paper, it's just too much, but every 4 -5 is pretty good.

And on the 10ft views, it being every one in a "suggestions" row doesn't seem off putting either.

Just so everyone is clear, we have never supported this, so it would be all new development. There is nothing to bring back because nothing was taken away.

• Like 1

Smitty018210

I got them to work in theater, Ember, Android, web apps both chrome and Firefox. Only one I tired that didn't work was WMC and I knew going in that it wouldn't. All work until a server update like a month or so ago. I realize that it was only by luck that it worked at all but I thought I would let you know. I would love to see this implemented. Thanks!

• 5 months later...
maximilianh75

Yes I tested time ago in web browser and work and now not working anymore

If you can add it in future will be great

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Yes I tested time ago in web browser and work and now not working anymore

If you can add it in future will be great

Thanks

It still works , but only in mono version.

.NET core version doesn't support GIF anymore, this is why I still use the mono version.

Smitty018210

Wish this was on the to do list. I made a number of gifs and love the look of them. But I get it. Not first thing or important thing to do.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
SikSlayer

Please??  :unsure:

Best thing to do is show your support for this here, thanks.

Please don't mis-interpret this as a commitment, but if you run the beta server, then the web app detail screen should preserve the gif animation if the source image height is less than 360.

If it's larger than 360 height then we have to convert the image and that's when the animation is lost.

@@skank

@@SikSlayer

@@kesm

@@Smitty018210

@@CatSama

@@legallink

@@maximilianh75

@@cw-kid