Paginated full search results instead of arbitary 30 result limit

Ian-Highlander

Ian-Highlander

I was extremely surprised to find that there is a statically coded limit set on search results in the web client especially when I found it's set so low as 30.

For anyone with large libraries this makes the search almost useless. I have over 100 albums with the phrase "Now that's what I call music" in them. Trying to search those to give a limited subset of my music collection in order to check through them returned 30 of them and an apparently random 30 at that. I've manually upped the limit on my server to 130 in the javascript for now, but that's not exactly an ideal scenario and will get reset every time I upgrade.

Please guys, let's have full paginated search results for any search term entered as with just about any other search system in the world.

Please :)

Pretty please with bells on?  :lol:

Edited by Ian-Highlander
  • Like 33
  • Agree 1

MikePlanet

+1

it should work the same way as other "internal searches" like e.g. "person movies" - first show a limited result set with a "show all" button" (to speed up initial search) and "show all" should display a paged full result list. This speeds up the initial search (as long as there is no special sorting requested in the search statement)

• 4 weeks later...
Ian-Highlander

I expect that this is something that could be implemented. In another post @@Luke indicated that the 100,200,500 selector was removed due to performance and infinite virtual scrolling is on the horizon.

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/26037-q-more-than-100-items-per-page/?p=253275

That thread is talking about the number of media items displayed on a media page not on a search unfortunately. Having a hard coded limit of 30 items max in a search on any web product is short sighted at best, hopefully something they're already looking into or have other plans for as it's a real shortcoming.

• 4 weeks later...
Ian-Highlander

Quite surprised to see such little support for this one to be honest, does no one else use the search for things they have a lot of?

Deathsquirrel

Quite surprised to see such little support for this one to be honest, does no one else use the search for things they have a lot of?

I search all the time.  I would guess that not many people have this situation.  It's probably pretty unusual to have 100 items with essentially the same name outside of home videos.

On the other hand you've got what, 9 likes on the OP?  That's actually a fairly high number in my experience.

Ian-Highlander

I search all the time.  I would guess that not many people have this situation.  It's probably pretty unusual to have 100 items with essentially the same name outside of home videos.

On the other hand you've got what, 9 likes on the OP?  That's actually a fairly high number in my experience.

Agreed on all counts, I would still expect such a professional piece of software to have a search function that works correctly (paginated full results at the very least), perhaps integrate SOLR into it or something?

11 likes now, but I have no idea how many it takes before the devs even consider the option (presumably also influenced by how much work they have on and how much effort it would take to "fix" this).

Deathsquirrel

There's no one answer for how many votes it takes to get a feature added.  Likes measure the level of interest for the people that post on the forums.  The devs then have to consider the the level of effort, guess at how much it would appeal to users that never post on the forums, how potentially dangerous the change is, and how disruptive it might be to other things they're working on now.

More is better but things that get mentioned once get fixed immediately because they're easy and harmless to add while other things take a long time because of effort or design considerations.

spootdev

Well, I honestly gave up on the search quite awhile ago.   :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Ian-Highlander

Well, I honestly gave up on the search quite awhile ago.   :rolleyes:

See that in itself is quite a telling statement (not a dig at you by the way). If people are "giving up on the search" function then there is obviously inherently a problem with it and you'd have thought the devs would at least acknowledge the issue and have it somewhere on a backlog to look at.

I have to say that the way the current search works in its functionality is actually good if you only have very small results, it works quite well and fast until you hit more than than 30 items when it just doesn't work at all really as 30 items of potentially loads isn't really a valid search result, which is what this request is for. All I want (and I appreciate it's probably not as simple as that) is for actual full results from a search (paginated if necessary) so that it works as a search instead of a pot luck function.

spootdev

Basically I feel that Emby handles libraries with 500 items and not 50,000.  I think anything with a result list should be paginated.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Dizzy49

I'm fine with showing a limited number on screen, and having infinite scrolling, or pagination.  I've been "working around" the search so far

• 1 month later...
MikePlanet

Tagging @@Luke to bring this item up - getting a fix for the current incomplete search is imho a prerequisite to be able to use the search at all.

I'd not even call this a feature request, as current search is often not finding what you're looking for, if it is outside the scope of the limited-by-30 search results.

Edited by MikePlanet

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
RickPaq

Basically I feel that Emby handles libraries with 500 items and not 50,000.  I think anything with a result list should be paginated.

True, I loaded Emby up with a video collection totaling 30,000 which actually stops my Tab S2 when you click "episodes."   It seemingly attempts to load all 30,000 in a long list, with images into it's memory!  When you have 100's of a particular series, a search only provides the 1st 30, and in alphabetical order.  You can't get to the others episodes via search unless your more specific of the title.

Therefore, it's impossible to scroll through several thousands of video's to find those of a particular series.  As a previous poster stated, paginated results would probably work better as it would load a smaller, faster list.

My workaround is to move the series, totaling 141 in one series, into its own directory and then loading it with the rest of the thousands. Emby then categorizes them  and adds useful metadata.  I really like the way Emby handles them, and scrolling through 141 episodes is fast.

The pain, however, is that I need to presort the video's into separate directories to make this work.  But if you do the presort, it's impressive.  But that's a workaround for "search."

Emby has a LOT of impressive strengths, but I'm hooked on smart search engines where you can page through results   I was impressed that it could toss up the results for an obscure word in the middle of a title.  They did a great job with the search engine itself, it's just the 30 result limit, without the option to load another 30, etc. which needs work.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

This should be better now in Emby Server 4.5.3:

Stay tuned to the blog for the release announcement. Thanks.