Able to change the Aspect Ratio.

JourneyOver

JourneyOver

Would love to see this happen. last time I seen anything posted about this through searching was way over a year ago, back in September in 2014. So was just wondering how this is coming along or whatever since I see it's not in emby yet :/

Emby web player - Letting us force change the aspect ratio. (example: forcing a video with an aspect ratio of 4:3 into 16:9)

Edited by JourneyOver
  • Like 2

You'll have to be more specific because I have no idea what you are asking for.

If there is already a feature request out here for what you are asking for, then simply like that post instead of creating a new one.  Thanks.

JourneyOver

You'll have to be more specific because I have no idea what you are asking for.

If there is already a feature request out here for what you are asking for, then simply like that post instead of creating a new one.  Thanks.

Say a video is in 4:3 or something for the aspect ratio I want to force it to 16:9 in emby web player to get rid of the black bars...

and the other posts are about media browser theatre, which I don't think is part of emby web player at all and one isn't even in the request section at all..

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/2218-feature-request-mbt-force-aspect-ratio/

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/5846-aspect-ratio-in-mbt-a-request/

Sorry I should of posted my request a little more better, it was like 5 in the morning when I posted it.

• Like 1

Zoom settings are something that will probably make their way into most of the players at some point but they just aren't needed that much anymore.  Doing what you are requesting will either distort the image or cut some of it off.  I know some people want to do this but most don't.

The one good argument for this type of distortion is a 2.35 CIH screen setup with an anamorphic lens but there aren't many of those either.

• 1 year later...
Buckaroo

Zoom settings are something that will probably make their way into most of the players at some point but they just aren't needed that much anymore.  Doing what you are requesting will either distort the image or cut some of it off.  I know some people want to do this but most don't.

The one good argument for this type of distortion is a 2.35 CIH screen setup with an anamorphic lens but there aren't many of those either.

I would have agreed with this sentiment until a few months ago when I got my first 21:9 monitor and discovered many of my rips (therefore many Blu rays) have hard coded 16x9 letterboxing. I think as 21:9 gains steam (which it *is* doing) this will become a larger issue for the first time in a decade.

• Like 2

@@Buckaroo this topic is old and several (not all) Emby apps now have zoom settings. In time I'm sure they all will, the ones that can at least.

• Like 1

I would have agreed with this sentiment until a few months ago when I got my first 21:9 monitor and discovered many of my rips (therefore many Blu rays) have hard coded 16x9 letterboxing. I think as 21:9 gains steam (which it *is* doing) this will become a larger issue for the first time in a decade.

I don't follow why that makes this a larger problem.  A 16:9 image will simply display in the middle of a 21:9 monitor without any need for zoom and a 2.35 one should just about fill it (and the image height is maintained properly).

Can you take a screenshot of the problem you are having?

Buckaroo

As mentioned, Blu rays are hard coded 16x9, with the (for instance) 2.35 image between letterboxing. See the Alien Anthology and Lawrence of Arabia Blu rays as examples. These movies appear on a 21:9 monitor as "window boxed" with bars on all four sides. I'll post screenshots soon, but it should be fairly easy to visualize.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Edited by Buckaroo
  • Like 1

Ah, I see.  Then you actually need a full zoom (even expansion around) to compensate for that.  Same as if you had a 2.35 projector screen without an anamorphic lens.

Buckaroo

Ah, I see.  Then you actually need a full zoom (even expansion around) to compensate for that.  Same as if you had a 2.35 projector screen without an anamorphic lens.

You're correct - I suppose a zoom is more accurate than an AR change.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
Ansgar

Sorry for necro but I was linked here by an admin when I posted my own similar topic.  Yeah, I am seriously in need of a zoom mode.  I dropped 5 bucks to try out the windows emby player since my recent windows update killed WMC for Windows 10.  However it lacks a zoom feature making any letter box movie run in a little box with black space on all 4 sides.  I would gladly buy this product if it had a zoom feature.

I tried out but it runs terribly and I couldnt get the emby app to work inside it but it DOES indeed have a zoom feature.  It even remembers your zoom setting on a movie by movie basis

Edited by Ansgar

Ansgar

@@Buckaroo this topic is old and several (not all) Emby apps now have zoom settings. In time I'm sure they all will, the ones that can at least.

As old as this topic is it seems unlikely the windows version is going to be getting this feature.  I really hope it does, its a deal breaker for me

sebasmiles

Is there any thought of setting up a non-linear stretching? I haven't checked the options available as I mostly use the webapp, but I assume right now its a straight zoom or stretch.

It depends on each platform, and what the video player for each will support. The web app will generally be more limited than native apps.

The next update of emby theater for windows will have aspect ratio control.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, I just started messing around with Emby today. Decided to test it against Plex in anticipation of picking one to ultimately run with the NAS server I'm building. I definitely agree that a zoom to fill (rather than the weird distorted image we get when trying to change the aspect ratio) would be hugely welcomed. There are a lot of things I really like about Emby so far, but that issue is a deal breaker on choosing a lifetime plan of it over one of plex (which does offer it).

• 1 year later...

The Emby web app will have aspect ratio adjustment in the video player in the upcoming Emby Server 4.3 release. Thanks.