Unable to stream over 1mbps

Retell

Hello,

I've been struggling to stream over 1mbps and often unable to even stream that without it constantly pausing every couple of seconds. Even if left paused in attempt to buffer doesn't seem to improve the experience. I travel a lot and stay in personal homes, playback internet is always very strong, always over 50mbit and can stream Netflix HD without an issue but Emby always hiccups. No throttling is enabled and transcoding always outpaces the stream. A quick speed test by downloading the original video through Emby of 1.2gb would take about 25 minutes while the video length is 45 minutes, so I'm sure I've got the bandwidth on both sides. Any suggestions? :)

Server Specs:

E5-Xeon 2687

16gb DDR3

Media: WD Red 3TB

Internet: 300/20mbit

Emby Version 3.0.5781.2

Thanks, Rob

Edited by Retell

HLS streams don't buffer so pausing isn't going to help anything.

If it isn't a transcoding speed problem then it sure sounds like it is an upstream bandwidth issue.

Deathsquirrel

I'm not sure Emby logs are needed.  If it's taking you 20 minutes to download a 1.2 gb file from your server you aren't getting anything like 20Mb\s upload.  You're getting about 800KB\s.  As we're moving between internet speeds offered in Mb and file sizes in MB, that's about 1\3 your rated upload speed.

Edited by Deathsquirrel

I'm not sure Emby logs are needed.  If it's taking you 20 minutes to download a 1.2 gb file from your server you aren't getting anything like 20Mb\s upload.  You're getting about 800KB\s.  As we're moving between internet speeds offered in Mb and file sizes in MB, that's about 1\3 your rated upload speed.

I didn't bother to do the math, but nice job. looks like we might have our answer.

Hey guys,

Yep I get the math. What I guess boggles me though, is even at 800KB\s (usually even faster) I can completely download the video faster, from my Emby server, than the length of the actual video. It doesn't even look like it's trans-coding, if it's just streaming I'm just wondering where the hang up is. 

Attatched 2 logs.

Log.txt

Log1.txt

Server Log.zip

Edited by Retell

You're right, it is direct streaming. since it looks like you're testing with emby theater, id' just wait for the new version, or use the web client which is probably more suited to playing when you're away.

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-249-coming-soon-the-new-emby-theater/

the current version is using components that might not be well built for streaming from a remote location.

I tend to get the best performance by clicking download on the webclient, cancelling it (Being able to copy URL without initiating download would be soooooooo nice), grabbing the url, then throwing it into MPC-HC. Web client generally provides the worst performance. Emby theater some where inbetween, it's hit or miss. Looks like I cannot do external player remotely currently.  Looking forward to the new ET :)

post-28946-0-94450500-1448866162_thumb.png

post-28946-0-12060800-1448866171_thumb.png

Edited by Retell

Olywa123

@@Retell, if you are using MPC-HC in the interim you may want to take a look at the tool that anks made available here

This allows you to use the emby casting functionality from the webclient to send a video file directly to MPC without the need for the extra steps you are currently doing. 

@@Retell, if you are using MPC-HC in the interim you may want to take a look at the tool that anks made available here

This allows you to use the emby casting functionality from the webclient to send a video file directly to MPC without the need for the extra steps you are currently doing. 

Woah thank you so much!