Bulk Meta Data Editor

the-dumb1

Chyron

I use Tiny Media Manager to edit tags in bulk, works okay. Highlight all desired movies, bulk edit, add tag, done.  Has lots of filtering options which makes it easier to find what you're looking for too.

Modifying embedded tags doesn't always affect entries in Emby; and not all metadata fields in Emby have corresponding embedded tag fields, such as Title Sort, in addition to user-permissions-related tags specific to Emby. Further, different file types don't always embed the same tags or in the same fashion, such as mp4s when compared to mkvs.

So using an external tag editor isn't a catch-all solution.

Edited by chyron8472

Traxxus

Modifying embedded tags doesn't always affect entries in Emby; and not all metadata fields in Emby have corresponding embedded tag fields, such as Title Sort, in addition to user-permissions-related tags specific to Emby. Further, different file types don't always embed the same tags or in the same fashion, such as mp4s when compared to mkvs.

So using an external tag editor isn't a catch-all solution.

It's modifying the nfo via <tag> </tag>, not embedded tags. 

• Like 2

funwithmedia

I use Tiny Media Manager to edit tags in bulk, works okay. Highlight all desired movies, bulk edit, add tag, done.  Has lots of filtering options which makes it easier to find what you're looking for too.

It's modifying the nfo via <tag> </tag>, not embedded tags. 

Hmm, that's an interesting option until something is built-in to Emby. @@Traxxus, does it overwrite any other Emby NFO content when you edit/add Tags to the NFO's, or does it just change/add whatever "fields" you're working with?

the-dumb1

Four years later and no word on whether this feature will be implemented.  Users are obviously resorting to work arounds.  Would be nice if this were a feature.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
the-dumb1

Yeah this needs to be added. Seriously manually tagging individually 5000 files sucks

I made the original request over four years ago.  Emby falls down on this, but so does the competitor.  This could be a discriminator especially for people who have large collections and want to be able to sort/find their content.  Emby could also even make it a subscription/premier function since it obviously requires some thought and effort.  Luke says it's something he'd like to do in the future, but again, it's been four years.

Doonz2019

I made the original request over four years ago.  Emby falls down on this, but so does the competitor.  This could be a discriminator especially for people who have large collections and want to be able to sort/find their content.  Emby could also even make it a subscription/premier function since it obviously requires some thought and effort.  Luke says it's something he'd like to do in the future, but again, it's been four years.

Except for plex handles this very well. Allows you to tag 100's of files at once

• 3 months later...
miniliQuid

Well the first post hasn't that many likes at all, did add mine to it, though I currently have little use for it just yet, may be handy in the future :D

Edited by miniliQuid

• 1 month later...

I am considering creating a wrapper on this functionality, more precisely a .net application that will make webrequests to the embyserver in a sequence to update selected files, more or less an alternative metadata editor with this as a sole purpose.

For a first phase i was thinking of batch editing - studio, genre, tags and persons, i will do an analisys and an estimated effort and maybe create a separate thread on this

• Like 1

I am considering creating a wrapper on this functionality, more precisely a .net application that will make webrequests to the embyserver in a sequence to update selected files, more or less an alternative metadata editor with this as a sole purpose.

For a first phase i was thinking of batch editing - studio, genre, tags and persons, i will do an analisys and an estimated effort and maybe create a separate thread on this

@@sadukar it's probably best to have some core support to save things in bulk, otherwise a bulk editor using the current api's could end up hammering the server with update operations. Curious, are you a full-time software developer? Feel free to send me your info as we're always looking for help.

jachin99

Jriver takes some criticism for being outdated but they have a great desktop view for doing things like this. Maybe you could consider something similar for emby

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
the-dumb1

That's a lot of plus ones. Original request made 4.5 years ago. Users should not have to resolve to workarounds. Make it a premium feature if you have to ... Please ... Sometime in my life time.

• 1 month later...
vick1982

i wish i could just choose which genres to allow in parental controls ... being able to bulk tag all stuff of certain genre would help me too.. no way I would go and tag everything 1 by 1 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Painkiller8818

Anything new here? I would really like to add a Share Tag to multiple movies at once. this is a really important feature for me, because i don't wanna share the whole library.

Actually when i select multiple movies i can refresh the metadata but not add a sharing tag.

Please can you give this more importance because this is open for a long time now.

Thanks.

• Like 1