Bulk Meta Data Editor

the-dumb1

This type of thing is planned for the future but, in your specific studio example, we have the Studio Cleaner plug-in that can do that.

the-dumb1

Thanks ebr.  Maybe I'm missing the point of the Studio Cleaner plugin, but let's suppose I have the following scenario:

X:\Movies

X:\Movies\Studio1

X:\Movies\Studio1\Movie1\Movie1.mp4

X:\Movies\Studio1\Movie2\Movie2.mp4

X:\Movies\Studio2

X:\Movies\Studio2\Movie1\Movie1.mp4

Not all of the movies are tagged with studios.  I just need to be able to apply the producing studio to a specific set of videos.  It looks like your plugin requires that the videos already be tagged with a studio?

None of my videos can be automatically scrapped from an online database--all the information is entered in manually.  I just haven't cared about studios and tags until recently.  Would love to be able to manipulate this data in one swoop.

P.S.--Thanks for the hard work on your plugins.  I'm a software engineer myself--just prefer not to do this beyond the 60+ hours I already have to do it.  ;-)

Sorry, no that isn't what the plug-in (or system) does.  We acquire metadata from online sources or through manual entry or external programs via files.

We do not derive it from a file structure like that - at least not for movies/videos.

I would suggest not organizing your media that way if possible.

the-dumb1

Understood, but respectfully, the crux of the problem is that if a video cannot acquire its metadata from an online source then it must be manually entered.  For one video, that's fine... but for hundreds of videos, I'm sure you'll agree that it's a challenge.

I've seen it said that bulk metadata editing is in the cards for a future release, but I understand and appreciate that Emby isn't anyone's full time job--can you recommend any ways to tool this up myself?  It's a one time shot for hundreds of videos.

I'm reasonably adept in PHP and ASP, and know my way around SQL--I am just not familiar with the innards of Emby itself.

Happy Thanksgiving, BTW!

Deathsquirrel

Your movies would identify correctly with the proper structure and naming conventions.  The solution to your issue probably isn't bulk editing, it's fixing that folder structure.  That's not to say bulk editing for some things might not be useful, but even with it available if your movies don't identify you're still in a big mess.

the-dumb1

Your movies would identify correctly with the proper structure and naming conventions.  The solution to your issue probably isn't bulk editing, it's fixing that folder structure.  That's not to say bulk editing for some things might not be useful, but even with it available if your movies don't identify you're still in a big mess.

I'm trying REALLY HARD to not be dense or combative--sorry if that's the way it's coming across.

I think everyone is telling me is that the logical organizational structure I chose effects how Emby populates its database **AND** that Emby can fetch data such as producing studio even if that movie doesn't exist in the online databases it is scraping.   Somehow I don't think the latter is true--because my movies DON'T exist in any online database that Emby scrapes from, how would it possibly know what the producing studio is?   Someone PLEASE correct me if I am wrong (I will be more than happy to take correction.)

The fact that a tool like MetaBrowser exists tells me that my use case really isn't all that unique.  Someone thought it'd be a good idea to slap something like that together and make some dough.  I'll have to check that tool out.  Thanks AdrianW.

It would probably also be possible to write a script that could do what you need but something like Meta Browser is probably the easiest approach right now.

Deathsquirrel

If your movies don't have the data in the standard metadata sources you're right that structural changes won't fix anything.  I just don't see adding a feature to accommodate that pretty unusual situation as making sense.  I'd also recommend going with meta browser.  It was a solid tool when I used it, before Emby had a UI for this stuff.

• 1 year later...
eigenator

So how is the status on this one? Have been reading here and other places in the forums that bulk editing metadata is something you guys are planning in future releases. Is this something that will be happening in the near or distant future?? Will it be happening at all? 

• 2 months later...
osak00006

Bulk editing of metadata is something we'd like to add for a future release. thanks !

Would love to see this!

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...
the-dumb1

It's 2018.  Multiple requests, not just by me.

How do you determine what gets considered for future releases?

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
Chyron

I'm throwing my hat in to say that I want this. I'm setting up user accounts for my wife and daughter, and find having to tag each and every single movie and show, individually, is exceptionally inconvenient. I would really enjoy the ability to make bulk edits to which content my users can access.

I'm throwing my hat in to say that I want this. I'm setting up user accounts for my wife and daughter, and find having to tag each and every single movie and show, individually, is exceptionally inconvenient. I would really enjoy the ability to make bulk edits to which content my users can access.

There are much easier ways to control access than individual tags. What, exactly, are you trying to accomplish?

Chyron

There are much easier ways to control access than individual tags. What, exactly, are you trying to accomplish?

I want my non-user accounts to only list certain media in their libraries.

Even if I were to use custom ratings, I would still have to edit each and every movie and show individually to specify I want my wife to only see these few movies and those few shows. My wife says she doesn't want a large, cluttered library but only the movies and shows that she regularly watches. That means either I use tags or custom ratings. But either way, editing relevant metadata in bulk is not available.

If I have a library of 230+ movies, and the only movies that she wants to have listed of those are the Harry Potter series, the Bourne series, the Lord of the Rings, the How to Train You Dragon series, and Frozen---and that's just counting movies, not shows or music---and I can't edit the tags for them in bulk, then I have quite a lot of work cut out for me.

Edited by chyron8472

Another way to accomplish that would be file location.

In the current release server, you could setup separate libraries pointing to different locations (WifeTV, KidsTV, etc.) and then just give access to the appropriate library to the appropriate users.

In the next release of the server, you will be able to do this with a single library and just give access at the physical location level.

Chyron

Well, snot.

Another way to accomplish that would be file location.

In the current release server, you could setup separate libraries pointing to different locations (WifeTV, KidsTV, etc.) and then just give access to the appropriate library to the appropriate users.

In the next release of the server, you will be able to do this with a single library and just give access at the physical location level.

But if I wanted my wife and my daughter to have access to the same content, I would have to have a shared folder for each instance.

So,  if I had my own non-admin account in there, I could theoretically then need: Chyron_TV, Wife_TV,  Kiddo_TV, Chyron_Wife_TV, Chyron_Kiddo_TV, Wife_Kiddo_TV, and All_TV folders, depending on what shows got shared to whom. This would be compounded if I eventually made user accounts for additional people.

That seems a bit much. Being able to tag them seems a simpler solution, especially when I go looking to edit the files of a specific movie or show in File Explorer.

Edited by chyron8472

Yeah, it just depends on how customized it needs to be.  I get by with a global shared location and then individual locations for my two kids.  They see the combination of their folder and the global and I just see the global.

I was just trying to give you an easier way to handle the situation since we cannot say when we will get to multi-editing features in the metadata manager.

Thanks.

Chyron

Yeah, it just depends on how customized it needs to be.  I get by with a global shared location and then individual locations for my two kids.  They see the combination of their folder and the global and I just see the global.

I was just trying to give you an easier way to handle the situation since we cannot say when we will get to multi-editing features in the metadata manager.

Thanks.

Thinking about using folders instead of tags... if I had something shared with one person and wanted it also shared with someone else, and thus had to move it to a different folder, then it likely would bork with its current entry in Emby, necessitating that I fix its metadata and watched status.

Conversely, if I used tags, and said tags were stored in an nfo file, then it wouldn't matter where I stored it and the tags would persist even if I "plex-danced" the files.

Edited by chyron8472

As long as the item is properly identified with a global ID (like tmdb or tvdb) then watched status will carry.  And, likewise, if your metadata is saved in an nfo with the media, all that will carry across a physical location move as well.

Besides the method ebr suggest there is maybe another way she might like and would put her in control (or you do it for her).

Give her access to all movies but show her how to mark favorites.

She can then mark only the movies she is interested in and use the favorite filter to only see them.

At any time she could turn off this filter to see all movies and see if anything else is available she might want to favorite.

The cool thing doing it this way is that she would have access to all movies.  So for example if one of the movies she marks as a favorite is "Cocktail" and she's viewing the cast and see's Tom Cruise she could click on this and see all other movies & shows he's been in that are on your system (favorite or not).  So if "Cocktail" was the only favorite but you also had "Days of Thunder", "Top Gun" and "American Made" she could see them.  This was she could discover how great the movie "American Made" is or get exposed to other content related to what she already likes. :)

As you add more and more content this would become a much better feature for her as she probably likes certain actors.  However in keeping the initial view of movies and tv shows small (as she wants) just favorite them.

Personally, the only reason I would actually "filter" movies and shows on the backend would be for children to make sure they couldn't access content that isn't appropriate for them to see (yet).  You wouldn't want your 10 year old to get access to "Fifty Shades of Grey" or similar content.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
earratia14

Hey @@ebr. I'm a new Emby user (started test driving it back in March, went "full production" this month).

I'd like to also request you guys work on the Bulk Metadata functionality to allow us to apply the same tag to multiple library items at the same time.

I understand the alternatives. However, the tags are presented as the way to block specific items in the Parental Control tab of the user profile. So it makes sense to use them. I am one of, hopefully many, recent Plex transfers.

Thanks.

• 4 months later...
Traxxus

I use Tiny Media Manager to edit tags in bulk, works okay. Highlight all desired movies, bulk edit, add tag, done.  Has lots of filtering options which makes it easier to find what you're looking for too.

• Like 1