Bulk Meta Data Editor

the-dumb1

DisposableAcc

This is absolutely ridiculous. 7* years later... this has been requested and I am still sitting here in metadata manager having to ONE BY ONE edit tags for my music manually because otherwise Emby will see that (OH, THIS ALBUM UNDER "VARIOUS" ARTISTS, WELL, EACH SONG IS OBVIOUSLY A DIFFERENT ALBUM BECAUSE ITS BY A DIFFERENT PERSON FOR EACH SONG) and I can't multi-select and change the "Album Artist" field for multiple songs at once.  Nope, must be done ONE BY ONE and we're too disconnected from reality to implement a multi-select function to meta-data manager..

This is a problem that means that I, as a user, have to spend FAR too much time working around because scraping doesn't work very well for multi-CD albums or albums with various artists.. Which in of itself isn't a horrible thing, I understand automatic solutions need coaxing every so often; but it DOES become a problem when the tools for cleaning up the metadata absolutely sucks. This is something that actually takes a users time to workaround.. it should've been priority enough to justify not simply saying "oh its on the list =)" which we know is software developer speak for "not actually doing anything with it right now".

Just let me multi-select in metadata manager and change a single field of multiple songs at once and that would go a LONG way. .

edit: sorry, it's been 7 years my god, seriously guys you're worried about porting Emby to .NET 6 but can't get this together???????

Edited by DisposableAcc

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, DisposableAcc said:

This is absolutely ridiculous. 7* years later... this has been requested and I am still sitting here in metadata manager having to ONE BY ONE edit tags for my music manually because otherwise Emby will see that (OH, THIS ALBUM UNDER "VARIOUS" ARTISTS, WELL, EACH SONG IS OBVIOUSLY A DIFFERENT ALBUM BECAUSE ITS BY A DIFFERENT PERSON FOR EACH SONG) and I can't multi-select and change the "Album Artist" field for multiple songs at once.  Nope, must be done ONE BY ONE and we're too disconnected from reality to implement a multi-select function to meta-data manager..

This is a problem that means that I, as a user, have to spend FAR too much time working around because scraping doesn't work very well for multi-CD albums or albums with various artists.. Which in of itself isn't a horrible thing, I understand automatic solutions need coaxing every so often; but it DOES become a problem when the tools for cleaning up the metadata absolutely sucks. This is something that actually takes a users time to workaround.. it should've been priority enough to justify not simply saying "oh its on the list =)" which we know is software developer speak for "not actually doing anything with it right now".

Just let me multi-select in metadata manager and change a single field of multiple songs at once and that would go a LONG way. .

edit: sorry, it's been 7 years my god, seriously guys you're worried about porting Emby to .NET 6 but can't get this together???????

Sorry this would not matter as Music is from their embedded track metadata, editing within Emby would not make a difference in this situation.  Any music tag editor would be many times faster.

• Agree 1

DisposableAcc
11 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Sorry this would not matter as Music is from their embedded track metadata, editing within Emby would not make a difference in this situation.  Any music tag editor would be many times faster.

No, you absolutely can edit the individual track metadata to corral them into the appropriate categories such as albums with functioning disc numbers and the like. I've been doing it for my catalogs for a long while now.  I do that because it does not modify the physical file (such as modifying the ID3 file) because when I rip CDs I keep them in their original, unmodified state for archival sake which sometimes means the automatic scraping methods gets confused (big example are 'Various Artists albums").  So using tools like AIMP is out of the question.  I even went as far as going to the library.db file and looked into making modifications in there; but I figured that if I'm going as far as to look into downloading DB Browser and trying to modify stuff that way.. something is horribly wrong. 

Again not looking for automatic methods to be 100% I just need the tools to have the bare minimum, if I could multi-select items in the Metadata Manager, it would alleviate a lot of headache myself and many other users have been facing for 7 years now.

Edited by DisposableAcc

Hi.  This is still something we want to do but, as Happy pointed out, we wouldn't recommend maintaining this information in Emby for music.

I guess I'm not really understanding why you wouldn't want rich and proper tagging for a digital music collection but that is your prerogative.  We really do want to complete this request but it is the actual use features of the product that tend to take priority as opposed to the pure data maintenance ones.  Hopefully, soon...

• 5 months later...
LittleWizard

Also I really need multi file tag editor (and maybe negative filters).

For example: browse my movies by folder, open folder "comedy", set filter "GENRE NOT COMEDY" to show me the movies that does not have comedy genre, select all those movies, edit tags of all of them adding Comedy to genre.

Same way I could create a TAG "FOLDER COMEDY" to show in kodi my folders as tags.

• 1 month later...
the-dumb1
On 7/5/2022 at 6:13 AM, ebr said:

Hi.  This is still something we want to do but, as Happy pointed out, we wouldn't recommend maintaining this information in Emby for music.

I guess I'm not really understanding why you wouldn't want rich and proper tagging for a digital music collection but that is your prerogative.  We really do want to complete this request but it is the actual use features of the product that tend to take priority as opposed to the pure data maintenance ones.  Hopefully, soon...

The original request was really for videos, but the reality is that Emby provides the capability to edit metadata for ANY piece of media.  If you're not envisioning/recommending maintaining the information in Emby, why would you provide the capability to edit it?

I get that there are priorities when it comes to development, but editing metadata is in fact a feature that is prominently mentioned on your website.  If managing "my media my way" is NOT a feature, then any mention of it should be deleted from your about page.  Per your own website, is "Easy web-based tools help you edit metadata and images, search for subtitles, and more." The reality is that it is in fact easy, but it doesn't scale. 

Multiple other similar requests have popped up since I wrote the original request.  They all point back to a lack of scalability.  Please re-consider prioritizing this.

• Agree 1

• 5 months later...
the-dumb1

I noticed there's a new plug in called "Bulky Editor."  Don't know who put this together, but the fact that someone wrote a plug in to get it done now almost 8 years since the original request ... well, it says something.  This should be baked in.

• Thanks 1

MBSki
8 minutes ago, the-dumb1 said:

I noticed there's a new plug in called "Bulky Editor."  Don't know who put this together, but the fact that someone wrote a plug in to get it done now almost 8 years since the original request ... well, it says something.  This should be baked in.

Yes, it should definitely be baked in. But @VicMoorehas done a fantastic job of adding the feature for the next 8 years while we continue to wait. 😅

the-dumb1

Unless @Lukeand team are really working towards a solution that could/would supersede the plug-in that @VicMooremade ... the plug-in IS the solution.

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...
TechnoMonster

I vote for this functionality too.

I'd like a away to populate  the Artist field for multiple Music Videos at one time.

I have 10 to 30 Music Videos for each of my 200 or so Artists and just want to populate the "Artist" fields in bulk.

• 3 months later...
AnSniper
On 8/22/2017 at 12:04 AM, Luke said:

元数据的批量编辑是我们希望在未来版本中添加的内容。谢谢!

Hope to add this feature! This feature is very practical and can reduce a lot of workload.

Here are some of my suggestions regarding this proposal. Due to using machine translation, I did not realize that this discussion already exists!

AnSniper

Suggest adding batch editing function to the metadata manager.

Function:

In the metadata manager interface, users can batch process NFOs from multiple episodes in the same path of the media library (tvshow.nfo / season.nfo / episode.nfo).

Assuming that users all adopt standard episode naming conventions:

TV/A (year) [tmdbid=a]/Season 1/S01E01. ext

TV/B (year) [tmdbid=b]/Season 1/S01E01. ext

Batch Edit tvshow.nfo:

When entering the TV directory, select multiple programs, and the right interface can batch modify tvshow.nfo.

If the content of a certain item is different. And without modification, the UI can be displayed as follows:

--≠, the current content remains unchanged - Users can choose whether to batch lock this content or modify it to the same content.

If the content of a certain item is the same, it will be displayed, modified, and all selected NFOs will take effect.

Ps: The same goes for movies.

Batch edit season.nfo:

When entering the season directory, select multiple seasons, and the right interface can batch modify season.nfo.

The editing logic is the same as above.

Batch Edit episode.nfo:

When entering the episode directory, select multiple episodes, and the interface on the right allows batch modification of episode.nfo.

The editing logic is the same as above.

It seems unnecessary to batch modify season.nfo and episode.nfo across paths;

If you want to lock them, choosing to lock nfo when batch modifying tvshow.nfo should also be able to lock them.

The above is from machine translation, and I am not sure if my demands are clearly expressed.

Hope to add this feature! This feature is very practical and can reduce a lot of workload.

Edited by AnSniper