Bulk Meta Data Editor

the-dumb1

nmkaufman
7 minutes ago, PowerXDrive said:

future, you mean, 50 yrs later?

Try upgrading to Beta some time, and you'll have a new appreciation for how much stuff actually breaks every time the Devs try to add/rework features.

There's a good reason changes roll out slow.

• 3 weeks later...
MBSki

With the increase in tag use in the latest stable version, can we now get bulk editing for metadata? I'd like to tag channels, but I have no interest in individually setting tags for 30+ channels.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
the-dumb1
On 4/29/2021 at 7:22 AM, nmkaufman said:

Try upgrading to Beta some time, and you'll have a new appreciation for how much stuff actually breaks every time the Devs try to add/rework features.

There's a good reason changes roll out slow.

6 years?  Nah.

• 1 month later...
GrumpyTrucker

Agreed. Could do with a bulk tag editor at least. I have one playlist in my library where the tracks are tagged. Just one. I use those tags to generate a shorter Smart Playlist of a subset of them.  It has a mere 45 tracks in it. When I updated to the latest Server version all the tags in those songs were wiped out. Would be SO much simpler to just select all in the playlist and an "Add Tags" option at least popped up. Based on gender, geography, and family history I have about 25 years until I die. Odds on seeing this before then? :) 

Happy2Play
19 minutes ago, GrumpyTrucker said:

Agreed. Could do with a bulk tag editor at least.

Have a look a this option.

See the last post for most up to date release. but still a work in progress so you can request updates there.

A tool for tagging Emby content

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
the-dumb1
On 7/17/2021 at 2:13 PM, Happy2Play said:

Have a look a this option.

See the last post for most up to date release. but still a work in progress so you can request updates there.

A tool for tagging Emby content

Someone created a tool to do something that has been a feature request for over 6 years.  Emby could be a discriminator by implementing a feature no other media manager has.  Heaven forbid we actually be able to manage our collection the way we want to.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been looking through the forum a bit over the last 2 days and the amount of times I've seen the comment 'planned for the future' from like 6 yrs ago & ALL of the features it was related to are still not implemented... It's actually ridiculous. I've been using emby for 2+yrs and I can't say I've seen many notable new features added at all. Seems we're just paying for maintenance and nothing more, end of the line, no more features.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
MRobi
On 05/02/2021 at 13:15, nmkaufman said:

I've actually been using a project called Stash (which is actually meant for "adult" content) to organize my photos and home videos.

Anyone curious just how seamless bulk metadata/tag editing can be deserves to check that project out. Stashapp on github, not going to link for obvious reasons.

It uses multi-selection check boxes like are already used in Emby, but gives a robust set of metadata/tagging options to perform on the selected items.

It also has the ability to filter your library/search results  based on existing/missing tags or metadata. Instantly creating a to-do list of untagged photos/videos.

My only regret is there's no baked-in way to export the metadata I'm generating, so I'll likely be starting from scratch again one day.

I've been playing around with this app. I see 1 way to currently get the metadata into Emby, and 1 potential way in the future if anybody wants to take on the task of building a plugin.

Stash has a community script called kodi-helper that will generate an nfo file for any tagged items in your stash library. Emby should then be able to read the info from the nfo. Unfortunately I think this needs to be run manually from the CLI of the server running Stash, and any time you make changes or add files to your database you'd need to re-run it manually.

The potential way comes from a community plugin that somebody wrote for Plex. This allows Plex to access the Stash database via the api as a metadata agent (aka scraper). If somebody were to develop a plugin like this to work with Emby, you could deselect all of the online metadata scrapers for the library and set it to pull data from Stash bringing in all your tags with it. I think it would need to have a Scheduled Task that could be set on an interval or ran manually to make sure the tags are kept up to date.

At the end of the day, Emby's core function isn't around tagging metadata for personal or adult content. There is no scrappers at all for personal content, and no single reliable source for adult content. So feature support for these would be better suited as plugins IMO. They could be added by those who need it and ignored by those who don't. 

• Like 1

Sarakha63
On 11/20/2021 at 8:24 PM, smernt said:

I've been looking through the forum a bit over the last 2 days and the amount of times I've seen the comment 'planned for the future' from like 6 yrs ago & ALL of the features it was related to are still not implemented... It's actually ridiculous. I've been using emby for 2+yrs and I can't say I've seen many notable new features added at all. Seems we're just paying for maintenance and nothing more, end of the line, no more features.

60045n.jpg

Edited by Sarakha63
  • Haha 3

nmkaufman
On 1/1/2022 at 11:01 AM, MRobi said:

Stash has a community script called kodi-helper that will generate an nfo file for any tagged items in your stash library. Emby should then be able to read the info from the nfo. Unfortunately I think this needs to be run manually from the CLI of the server running Stash, and any time you make changes or add files to your database you'd need to re-run it manually.

Stash is a really impressive project.

I somehow didn't know about gitgiggety's kodi plugin until a few days, ago, either.

I wish they made a version that was less obviously catered to xxx, because I may just starting using it to organize my personal photos/videos until Emby can do it.

Edited by nmkaufman

the-dumb1
On 1/1/2022 at 8:01 AM, MRobi said:

At the end of the day, Emby's core function isn't around tagging metadata for personal or adult content. There is no scrappers at all for personal content, and no single reliable source for adult content. So feature support for these would be better suited as plugins IMO. They could be added by those who need it and ignored by those who don't. 

This.  Emby doesn't facilitate management of personal or adult content.  Other tools and workarounds exist... This suggests that there is a need.  But over six years later and there's no progress on it.

Emby is about managing media ... But it's worthless for personal and adult content.  Bulk editing will help with this.

MRobi
On 01/01/2022 at 12:01, MRobi said:

I was successfully able to get my stash data into emby using the kodi-helper. A few modifications were needed to be made in the script in order to get Emby to read the nfo files. But it was very simple to do.

Obviously stash is geared towards adult content. But it works great for bulk-editing personal media as well. And with the ability to export the nfo files so Emby can read them makes it a great workaround solution.

• 1 month later...
cmittle09

+1 to bulk editing meta data.  Specifically from the Android app for me. 

We have our phones setup to backup automatically to our server and we'd like to be able to multi-select-> edit metadata -> add tags to all and be done.  Current workflow is  long press -> edit metadata-> scroll to "tags" -> click plus -> type tag -> click "ok" -> click "save" -> repeat for every single added item.  This is painful.

wordlover

It never occurred to me to bulk edit my music files' metadata inside of Emby. I use mp3tag, which works great, and I don't have to worry about Emby or Plex or any other library and playback interface managing my metadata correctly.

Edited by wordlover

• 2 months later...
rideekulous

I'm not generally one to throw shade, but I find it pretty stunning that its still impossible to bulk-edit Metadata. I have a few libraries I need to mass-approve (custom OR parental rating) for my kiddos, but have been too lazy to go through all 500+ videos one by one to do this.

GrimReaper
3 minutes ago, rideekulous said:

I'm not generally one to throw shade, but I find it pretty stunning that its still impossible to bulk-edit Metadata. I have a few libraries I need to mass-approve (custom OR parental rating) for my kiddos, but have been too lazy to go through all 500+ videos one by one to do this.

You can use Vic's tool:

• Agree 1

rideekulous

Thanks @GrimReaper, I tried that and will post results in that thread. However, even if this works it doesn't change my sentiment.

Edited by rideekulous

Junglejim
15 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

You can use Vic's tool:

This is a fantastic tool to use for bulk editing, not just for tags, I think he has a meta tool as well.

It would be great if this was included in the core of the app.. but a simple app like this can spark interest...  Just like "intro skip plugin" (maybe more for profit with intro skip) :).

Maybe one day. 😉

Edited by Junglejim