Bulk Meta Data Editor

the-dumb1

• 2 months later...
On 05/06/2020 at 19:37, Luke said:

Not yet but hopefully soon. Thanks for the feedback.

by ''soon'', you know if you mean ''this year'' or in a long time ?

• Like 2

the-dumb1
1 hour ago, qux said:

by ''soon'', you know if you mean ''this year'' or in a long time ?

I made the original request back in November of 2015.  I see some plus ones that might not be counted in the overall likes.  Not sure it really matters how many likes there are if the devs are adamant that it's not necessary (despite what they say the roadmap is).  I'm still hopeful.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
Painkiller8818

So, finally i got the update to 4.5.0.50 and still no way to bulk edit, no way to add a share tag to multiple movies :(

• Like 1

nmkaufman

I want this, too, but 99.9% of emby's paying clients are only using this software for commercial movies / television, and metadata scraped from the internet.

They could care less about adding personal tags / metadata.

There are other programs out there for curating your own personal media, specifically, built from the ground up around tagging.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
vdatanet
On 9/24/2020 at 7:17 PM, nmkaufman said:

I want this, too, but 99.9% of emby's paying clients are only using this software for commercial movies / television, and metadata scraped from the internet

I also use metadata scrapped from Internet. But every year when Halloween & Christmas are coming, I want this feature to tag movies with Halloween or Holiday,

• Like 3

MediaMogal
On 10/4/2020 at 12:46 AM, vdatanet said:

I also use metadata scrapped from Internet. But every year when Halloween & Christmas are coming, I want this feature to tag movies with Halloween or Holiday,

I'd love this feature for correcting the names of shows and movies in the metadata in bulk. 

Edited by MediaMogal

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
the-dumb1

There's 35 likes as of today, but I'm pretty sure there are a handful of +1's that are not included in that tabulation.  I've read that some users are doing NFO/XML editing or relying on third party applications.  This says to me it's a feature that people want.

• Like 1

nmkaufman
3 hours ago, the-dumb1 said:

This says to me it's a feature that people want.

I've actually been using a project called Stash (which is actually meant for "adult" content) to organize my photos and home videos.

Anyone curious just how seamless bulk metadata/tag editing can be deserves to check that project out. Stashapp on github, not going to link for obvious reasons.

It uses multi-selection check boxes like are already used in Emby, but gives a robust set of metadata/tagging options to perform on the selected items.

It also has the ability to filter your library/search results  based on existing/missing tags or metadata. Instantly creating a to-do list of untagged photos/videos.

My only regret is there's no baked-in way to export the metadata I'm generating, so I'll likely be starting from scratch again one day.

Edited by nmkaufman
  • Like 1

the-dumb1
37 minutes ago, nmkaufman said:

Anyone curious just how seamless bulk metadata/tag editing can be deserves to check that project out. Stashapp on github, not going to link for obvious reasons.

It uses multi-selection check boxes like are already used in Emby, but gives a robust set of metadata/tagging options to perform on the selected items.

It also has the ability to filter your library/search results  based on existing/missing tags or metadata. Instantly creating a to-do list of untagged photos/videos.

My only regret is there's no baked-in way to export the metadata I'm generating, so I'll likely be starting from scratch again one day.

This is what I've been looking for since day one.  I'd love for it to "import" the metadata from Emby.

• Like 1

AmiralRichter
On 9/1/2020 at 2:59 PM, qux said:

it's really disappointing, it's the big black point of this application for me

I started using Emby a week ago, I resolved all the big issues I had reading/using this forum; great community! But it looks like this hurdle is the biggest one yet for me. I'm coming from Plex, and selecting multiple medias to tag them (i.e. Change/Add/Remove genre(s) or a rating or lock metadata, etc...) it's really important.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I probably differ than the plus one bus.. not to offend but offering some considerations about why this is hard to implement..

I haven't posted in the forum here before but just a quick intro to what I am dealing with... and how I addressed the issues..

Music = 135,885 individual FLAC, and MP3 files - 16,388 Albums - 27,234 Artists in 3,423 genres

Movies = 1,538 files (numerous collections)

TV Shows and Movies = 15 Series, 926 Episodes, 11 TV Movies

'Adult' = 860 Full Feature Length, 57 Studios, Approx. 45 Unique Series and Collections

Running Emby 4.5.4.0 on Windows 10 Pro, with data repository ( network mounted drives from shares ) on a Linux based ReadyNAS 316, housing 14.98 TB of data.

Won't talk about the retail value.. 😜

My point here being that I have been creating an archive for the past 20 years, in that time I have noticed that changes have taken place in how we manage our data and what is necessary for us to use it. Over time metadata became more important to our programs and to how we use the media. Before even using Emby...

I had chosen to curate my data with considerations given to all areas of said data, to have a point of continuity, in notation and entry extenuating beyond what is available from some of our online resources, such as Discogs, musicbrains, IMDB, etc.. I originally settled years ago ( when I started ) for simply having my files named correctly. As you began to work with the data you begin to develop how you actually take care of it ( form and process ) to allow that data to really be used in the future and with considerations to MANY variables and release types. Small amounts of that data are easily managed but standards for it are not the same from application to application, nor resource to resource. Differences in files that are able to handle metadata, ( such as mentioned earlier in this post ) mp3/m4a, MKV/mp4 for example vary. I had to address access times to my data, this actually meant creating folders correctly music for example \\Music\%artist%\%year% - %album%\%disc%\-content-, \\Video\%title% %year% %resolution%\-content w/SMI,SRT..-, \\TV\%show%\%season%\-content-, \\Adult\%studio%\%studio w/series or collection%\-content-. It sped the access times, but also allowed for proper management of that data being broken to digestible sizes due to the way the data is loading on request to the system.

I used batch script files to create some folders for the videos, MetaX, and TagScanner. I embedded ALL metadata and covers directly into all of those files leaving only the media, sometimes accompanying SRT files. I had to comb over ALL of that media to make sure that the online resources for the metadata were correct, notated the same way, and complete, ( after using the same online resources ) or it still did not work correctly. 'Unknown' and 'Various Artists' tags had o be changed to Record Label/DJ/Series all by hand. It is reasonable to state that working with Emby processing this metadata and its resources will work much in the same way. MetaX and TagScanner both use batch processing and have options for automatic folder creation making the job easier but literally required full written programs ( one of which cost me money ) to accomplish the task and a set of human hands and eyes to create an archive which can be used in any program/app/server no matter what. When I copy a music file to my phone/device, its data is embedded and goes with it. Same for video. 

I think that over time, until online databases/distributors get better at having standards for metadata there really is no substitute to actually doing the work. Once it is done however your probably not going to have to look back at it again and programs that do rely on that data in order to fetch additional resources such as artist/backdrops, so on.. do work correctly and better with things done this way.. ( I love Emby, don't take this wrong ) Emby has problems sometimes with getting full information from servers for the correct movie, and even putting a few other things together, with missing metadata in the file or incorrect information and has to deal with changing services/servers. It ( from my understanding ) is designed to have the options it has in order to help correct the issues when the source of that problem exist from the file/folder structure or from the files themselves.

Trying to implement modifying a 7GB movie file with something originally designed to serve and transcode media for compatibility, present it in a beautiful and understandable way, and a few other major points; becomes process intensive, bloats the code, and asks machines to do something in an automated fashion that requires the human brain, especially when it comes to individual tastes in how that is done. The load of modifying the files, and process - changes what Emby is. That means that it starts to require MUCH resources, and very intricate options and interface like what goes on with MetaX and TagScanner in order for it to do so.

If you embark on addressing issues like this you start to understand what actually is expected of Emby in this request, where it could be fallible, where the problem does actually lay in our online world, and why doing these tasks actually properly prepares your data for the future without issue if done properly. In some cases Emby will even have to covert the files in order to embed the data.

I have seen several requests in this thread though, that range from hand creating libraries from the same folders, to creating limitations based on proper metadata, to writing the metadata into the files with full editing capabilities, and BULK editing while leaving other tags embedded unaltered.

I know I wrote a book... but it takes a little to explain my view. Maybe even explain why really integrating these options are going to take a long time as well as available options in code. That for the meantime ( and future management and growth of that archive )... probably the only real way is to curate the files yourself, taking some real intuitive and managerial approaches toward creating a good standard for that processing, even when it comes to the file/folder structure and what that is going to mean for the performance of your server and your machines/data repositories is the best and only option going forward.

Technically, differences in how we legitimately manage our media from 20 years ago to now has changed and it still isn't where it needs to be to allow full automation. We do have options though still at our disposal to address those areas properly until that day comes which are the best options.

Edited by Guest
added a line

nmkaufman
11 hours ago, Hxemby001 said:

Won't talk about the retail value.. 😜

Thanks for that.

I don't know who's mentioned having Emby tag the original files. Having Emby modify our media is the last thing any of us should want.

We just want the ability to change Emby's internal / nfo metadata for more than 1 item at a time.

Add a new tag, or change the genre for all of an artist's albums at once.

Add tags, people, or locations to a group of photos.

As my collection grows and my interests change, the way I organize and identify my collection needs to adapt and change.

Actually moving or re-tagging the original media as you've described is both rigid, and flies in the face of proper 'archiving.'

The whole purpose of metadata should be so we can change and refine our organizational strategy at any time, without modifying the original files in any way.

Edited by nmkaufman
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Spaceboy
49 minutes ago, nmkaufman said:

Thanks for that.

I don't know who's mentioned having Emby tag the original files.

literally no-one. which was why the above left me a bit confused

K1ng_Lear

+1 

Especially with Anime shows I've often the effect that Emby uses a US Tag for the agec ontrole, but I can use only one tag in the user management.

• 1 month later...
vdatanet
2 minutes ago, PowerXDrive said:

future, you mean, 50 yrs later?

Future = Time after the present. Its arrival is considered inevitable due to the existence of time and the laws of physics. 😀 We just have to wait, as long as we don't die before.