Confirmed MB3 can stream to Xbox One

subkamran

trooper11

I can confirm that MB is still working fine on my console.  I had been doing some harmony remote testing trying to bind some keyboard shortcuts to use on the X1.  All of my media is playing correctly as it has been.

skywalker993

SOLVED: The update modified how log-in information for apps and web pages was stored on the system. Pandora, MB3, and even FIFA14 couldn't log me in until I performed a reset, logged in as another profile on the system, and disabled cookies.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
subkamran

I am attending Microsoft Build 2014 in two weeks and I'm sure they'll be announcing general availability to all devs to enable dev kit mode in a "kosher" way. I think they'll also be announcing support for Windows 8 apps on Xbox One. These are my assumptions; they may be wrong.

However, if they do, I'm more than willing to assist in bring MB3 to Xbox One since I use it all the time and I agree the IE interface is sub-optimal for MB3 on an Xbox One. I'm a developer myself, so I have experience creating Windows 8 apps :)

• Like 2

I am attending Microsoft Build 2014 in two weeks and I'm sure they'll be announcing general availability to all devs to enable dev kit mode in a "kosher" way. I think they'll also be announcing support for Windows 8 apps on Xbox One. These are my assumptions; they may be wrong.

However, if they do, I'm more than willing to assist in bring MB3 to Xbox One since I use it all the time and I agree the IE interface is sub-optimal for MB3 on an Xbox One. I'm a developer myself, so I have experience creating Windows 8 apps :)

If that prediction comes true we'd love to have you part of the team helping us build that.

Just for the record the new DLNA. Play to feature works a treat with xbone - obviously a native client would be great but the web client running on an ipad sending videos to the xbox is just plain awesome.

• Like 1

swhitmore

Just for the record the new DLNA. Play to feature works a treat with xbone - obviously a native client would be great but the web client running on an ipad sending videos to the xbox is just plain awesome.

Have you tried .mkvs with 6ch audio?

Tried MKVs that I have and they worked flawlessly. I don't rip movies to MKV though so I don't have 1080p 6 ch to test, just stereo 720p. I also tried bluray folders (what I use) and they streamed too but the quality wasn't great (looked like it was being transcoded rather than played natively).

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
AaronG85

Just tried this and get an error when saying the webpage tried to start a program (like email) that the xbox one doesn't support. How do I get around this as I have 3 Xbox One consoles in the house and would love to use them as my media centers. Is there any plans for native support (like an app)?

swhitmore

Just tried this and get an error when saying the webpage tried to start a program (like email) that the xbox one doesn't support. How do I get around this as I have 3 Xbox One consoles in the house and would love to use them as my media centers. Is there any plans for native support (like an app)?

You are better to wait until DLNA is working perfectly on it (or test it yourself). I'm testing the latest dev build on it now. The native app will depend on when Microsoft makes it possible. The devs are ready for it though.

subkamran

I just tried yesterday to use the new Play to Xbox One feature but it didn't seem to work (it just kept spinning). The web player still works flawlessly, actually.

• 2 weeks later...
parrotheadcubs

I'm able to access the web client via the Xbone perfectly.  All of my information is there.  When I click play on a movie the window pops up and then it disappears and shows nothing.  Some times a bit of audio will play and then stop and the window closes.  Any suggestions?

• 2 months later...
AaronG85

what link do i put into IE as the internalip:8096/mediabrowser/dashboard/index.html gives me the "Application Not Supported" error. Can someone please help

buddyweiser

what link do i put into IE as the internalip:8096/mediabrowser/dashboard/index.html gives me the "Application Not Supported" error. Can someone please help

Have you tried using the externalip:8096 address?

AaronG85

gives the same error, is there a different setting for IE for Xbox One I have to change?

AaronG85

Getting further than before but now I'm getting

JavaScript Error
Line:26, Character 3

Access is denied.

Now how do I fix this?

• 2 weeks later...

I was excited to hear about the browser interface on the XB1 and set up a shortcut as suggested here. Unfortunately the results have been less than spectacular. I have mostly mkvs and what happens is the video will start to play, stop a few seconds in the refuse to play again. I'm not sure how to trouble shoot this and using this type is interface is not a high priority for me but if I can offer any info or logs that will help in the development just let me know what is needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

parrotheadcubs

I was excited to hear about the browser interface on the XB1 and set up a shortcut as suggested here. Unfortunately the results have been less than spectacular. I have mostly mkvs and what happens is the video will start to play, stop a few seconds in the refuse to play again. I'm not sure how to trouble shoot this and using this type is interface is not a high priority for me but if I can offer any info or logs that will help in the development just let me know what is needed.

Instead of trying to play it from the browser, use it as DLNA.  When you are browsing your movies, in the upper right click the remote I think.  The option will drop down and you should see your Xbox OS as an option.  Click that.  Then when you click play on a movie, the movie will automatically open up in the Xbox Video app.

• Like 1

TrackZ

Instead of trying to play it from the browser, use it as DLNA.  When you are browsing your movies, in the upper right click the remote I think.  The option will drop down and you should see your Xbox OS as an option.  Click that.  Then when you click play on a movie, the movie will automatically open up in the Xbox Video app.

Just keep in mind that there are limitations when doing this. I and some others I've been IMing with have been experimenting with the Xbox One DLNA Play To and MB3 quite a bit. There are certain logistics:

- The Xbox One through this method will play very little media without transcoding. If you've already reencoded all your stuff to h.264 in Handbrake then it's no big deal, but if you want to maintain original quality it's hard to do. In my experience, even Blu-ray h.264 AVC rips will transcode by the server versus direct play. MPEG2 video and VC1 will transcode as well.

- On the audio side, the default Xbox One DLNA profile is set to direct play/transcode AC3, but that didn't immediately work for me. The server ends up transcoding to 2 channel AAC at a low 128kbps. If you make a custom profile off the Xbox One profile and resave the settings, then I could get AC3 transcoding to work, but still at the 128k bit rate.

- Video transcoding also runs at a low bit rate of 5mbps. You can adjust this though and force a higher value.

It's frustrating because the Xbox One being a real Blu-ray player should be capable of direct playing anything we would throw at it. MPEG2, VC1, any AVC as well as multiple audio formats and even HD audio all work on the box, but it seems that they don't work via DLNA like this. I'm hoping we can get a profile working or there's something server side that can be fixed to get more formats direct playing to the box, as well as options to better control transcoding settings.

Or, if the direct play limitations are on Microsoft's end, hopefully a true native MB3 Xbox One app will be capable of supporting all of those formats without server transcoding.

• Like 2

Just keep in mind that there are limitations when doing this. I and some others I've been IMing with have been experimenting with the Xbox One DLNA Play To and MB3 quite a bit. There are certain logistics:

- The Xbox One through this method will play very little media without transcoding. If you've already reencoded all your stuff to h.264 in Handbrake then it's no big deal, but if you want to maintain original quality it's hard to do. In my experience, even Blu-ray h.264 AVC rips will transcode by the server versus direct play. MPEG2 video and VC1 will transcode as well.

- On the audio side, the default Xbox One DLNA profile is set to direct play/transcode AC3, but that didn't immediately work for me. The server ends up transcoding to 2 channel AAC at a low 128kbps. If you make a custom profile off the Xbox One profile and resave the settings, then I could get AC3 transcoding to work, but still at the 128k bit rate.

- Video transcoding also runs at a low bit rate of 5mbps. You can adjust this though and force a higher value.

It's frustrating because the Xbox One being a real Blu-ray player should be capable of direct playing anything we would throw at it. MPEG2, VC1, any AVC as well as multiple audio formats and even HD audio all work on the box, but it seems that they don't work via DLNA like this. I'm hoping we can get a profile working or there's something server side that can be fixed to get more formats direct playing to the box, as well as options to better control transcoding settings.

Or, if the direct play limitations are on Microsoft's end, hopefully a true native MB3 Xbox One app will be capable of supporting all of those formats without server transcoding.

Hey guys. Thanks the two of you for your feedback. I'm well aware of how to use dlna and do it often on a few other devices (but thanks for the description). The problems described above with dlna transcoding are a real deal breaker for me as I get really low quality versions of my HD MKVs and that makes no sense. I would love to no longer have to use two devices to consume my media.

Do either of you guys have an xbox1 profile (or recommended server settings) that would feed the x1 hd video and sound?