DLNA client??

Pine

I believe we have found a developer to take a look at DLNA again. As for availability. There is no set date for a release.

Thanks for prompt reply. Really hope we will see a DLNA client soon as this will eliminate the requirement for extra hardware. Seems that this technology is now taking of fast and lots of devices now support this. Do not want to compare MB3 with the competition (there is no comparison - MB3 is simply the best) but they have DLNA client. Would hate to be "forced" to move to the competition.

Edited by Pine

• 1 month later...
1jdwinterton

I too am interested in a DLNA solution. I recently traded in the home media server for a NAS and now I see MB3 needs a server and a client installed. 

Wow

Much Dpress. :(

Many dollers waysted. 

Vidman
I too am interested in a DLNA solution. I recently traded in the home media server for a NAS and now I see MB3 needs a server and a client installed.

Wow

Many dollers waysted.

Huh?

LASooner

Wow

Many dollers waysted. 

rs5hREi.gif

Thank you Triplefun for the suggestion. I am relatively new to this technology and still trying to establish the best solution. From other posts here it also seems that there is some confusion about this topic.

I understand that one should have a MB server (and optional connected NAS) and have no problem with this. As I further understand you need a DLNA client running on a DLNA enabled device (TV etc) to access the media on the MB server directly from this device. I thus want to access the media on the MB server form the DLNA enabled device and not vice versa. I have seen that one of the competition products do have a client that does exactly this. I however feel that MB is superior to this product and therefor my enquiry about a DLNA client for MB.

Do I have this all wrong?

There are so many DLNA servers and every self respecting media server app should have it but.......the problem is really that there are not that many good DLNA clients.. anybody knows of a decent DLNA server build in say; your AV receiver or TV?  (Samsung, LG and Sony all suck at this)..  There are a few devices that make it bearable (WD TV LIVE) , but even those do not have such a full feature and presentation set as we come to love from MB.. So my vote; Yes give us DLNA but more importantly give us more clients!!

Edited by ronvp

Beardyname

I for one think DLNA is heavily overrated and support usually is poor :/

So my tip is this, if you guys want support for it. find a dev who is willing to do it :) so the mb3 staff can focus on what is more important.

It will end up here eventually anyway :) mb3 is picking up speed.

I for one think DLNA is heavily overrated and support usually is poor :/

So my tip is this, if you guys want support for it. find a dev who is willing to do it :) so the mb3 staff can focus on what is more important.

It will end up here eventually anyway :) mb3 is picking up speed.

OK plumblum I take your point. As mentioned above I am a relative novice at this. DLNA just seemed like a very cost effective way to access the content on my MB3 server on a DLNA enabled device (eg TV). What would you suggest to be the most cost effective way to watch my MB3 content on my TV?

Vidman

What model of TV?....I believe it will only be a matter of time before you will see native mediabrowser clients for newer lg and Samsung tvs

....I believe it will only be a matter of time before you will see native mediabrowser clients for newer lg and Samsung tvs

Does not seem so soon according to this:

I believe we have found a developer to take a look at DLNA again. As for availability. There is no set date for a release.

Vidman

Umm that's for a DLNA plugin for the server....I'm talking about a client for your tv

Edited by Vidman

Yeah I wouldn't be shocked to see if we have Smart TV clients prior to having a 100% working DLNA experience. Honestly I think DLNA is an absolutely horrible user experience. It makes me feel like I'm back in the 90s. It is slow and just not user friendly. Smart TV clients at least offer the chance to view things in a more modern way. We are still actively looking for developers for them however, but hopefully we can find some people to help out and build some clients for some of the major brands. Most of them are HTML5 and javascript based. So if you know anybody interested in helping out let us know.

• Like 1

I agree with Grant. I'd never want to use a dlna client. But different strokes for different folkes. As much as we love our carefully designed, themed presentations, there is an appeal to some for a no-frills minimalist experience.So we certainly would like to have dlna features, but we really need someone to step up and take the responsibility of owning it. We've had a few developers contribute to it, but none of them have taken it to a point of completion.

LASooner

Chromecast support would allow you to have a DLNA-like experience without losing the beautiful interface of MB3. The downside being you'd need to have some client, be it in the form of a iOS, Android or web interface device, to launch your media.