iOS app issue

b0dyr0ck2006

b0dyr0ck2006

I've been playing with the new iOS app, testing functionality etc and have come across an issue that doesn't seem to have been brought to light yet. From what I can gather I cannot stream any videos that have a H264 codec. Streaming from the web app works fine. This is all remotely.

d8edfcf0173d4a3d26054445fb8d14ce.jpg

EDIT: correction, it's everything that's in an MKV container

Edited by b0dyr0ck2006

legallink

I would make sure you do an additional check.  Almost all of my media is in an MKV container and with an H264 code (and when I say almost all, I mean like 95%), and I have no problems playing my media through the iOS app, either on iPhone 5 or iPad Air.

Perhaps you can post some logs?

Edited by legallink

b0dyr0ck2006

I'm currently only testing this remotely but unfortunately I can't test it at home as I don't have mobile coverage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mediacowboy

I'm currently only testing this remotely but unfortunately I can't test it at home as I don't have mobile coverage

At home you would use your wifi to test. Also maybe a issue of upload bandwidth?

b0dyr0ck2006

If I'm using wifi then I'm not testing remotely am I? Im on my home network, where my server is. My upload speeds are over 10mb so more than enough for streaming. I can stream other files (MP4) perfectly but only seem to be having issues with the MKV ones

mediacowboy

Correct, If you are using wifi you are not testing remotely. So when you are at home are you having issue's? Are you able to use safari on your device and it work? Also could you take a screen shot of the media information at the bottom.

b0dyr0ck2006

At home, whilst using wifi, all my media plays fine. It's only whilst I'm testing it remotely.

Ok, I've just tested with app.media.emby. Seems I'm having the same issue there as well, so perhaps it's not an iOS app issue at all and something to do with my server?

a80f19ec9c24042dcd2d00f3b6ea9dde.jpg

6a39c495e08aef1f0619056823440e1b.jpg

mediacowboy

Would you mind posting log's? If they are to big to upload you can always reboot your server and then repeat the test.

MSattler

Are you changing the quality for playback when remote? If you have say 20Mbps selected for at home with wifi if you try to play back remote that obviously wont work. Under settings in emby for play ack for your account try setting to like 420p or lower and see if that works.

b0dyr0ck2006

I have been playing about some more now that I am home and it seems that the files that refuse to play on my device are not even creating a server log, which suggests that the app for some reason isn't hand-offing (is that even a word?) to the server. The files that play, I have logs for and they all seem to transcode fine and complete. 

I have been using the Auto setting for streaming, as Luke has mentioned in other posts is the best way forward, but have also tried using the lowest possible setting too, to see if that helps but still the same error.

b0dyr0ck2006

No problem, although the logs only show the files that work. No logs are created for the files that give me the video error. Also on a side note, is it an issue that my server directory still says MediaBrowser-Server and not Emby-Server?

server-63583228800.txt

transcode-9f2de302-03bf-4bd1-81d9-2ad69acd67a7.txt

transcode-ff7b4b60-8bc9-4e84-8f7a-4ba4533a415b.txt

transcode-01d81f55-f734-4c05-bff2-f3a625c20475.txt

transcode-593e865f-9f34-44e8-8040-aa8176ef524c.txt

transcode-5f4c89fc-ad6d-47d7-911e-ec2e78f62d09.txt

b0dyr0ck2006

Interestingly enough, my mate tested this on his android for me and didn't come across any issues playing the same files

MSattler

Interestingly enough, my mate tested this on his android for me and didn't come across any issues playing the same files

Could also add a couple of test users, and tier a couple of of us to test accounts.  I can try playing back known movies with issues from my iphone and see if what happens.

b0dyr0ck2006

Could also add a couple of test users, and tier a couple of of us to test accounts. I can try playing back known movies with issues from my iphone and see if what happens.

Message me

Hi

Here are server and transcode logs

Hi, since this is your first post in this thread, can you please describe your issue in a way that's easy to understand? thanks.

b0dyr0ck2006

Technically it's his second post Luke. Haha

From what I can tell Cas, the files your requesting are actually transcoding so it is a different issue to mine.

Edited by b0dyr0ck2006

Hi, since this is your first post in this thread, can you please describe your issue in a way that's easy to understand? thanks.

Ok sorry

When i play an mkv file over wifi all works great, as soon as im mobile and use 4g data i get the video error message?

MSattler

I've been playing with the new iOS app, testing functionality etc and have come across an issue that doesn't seem to have been brought to light yet. From what I can gather I cannot stream any videos that have a H264 codec. Streaming from the web app works fine. This is all remotely.

d8edfcf0173d4a3d26054445fb8d14ce.jpg

EDIT: correction, it's everything that's in an MKV container

I played back Toy Story remotely via my iPhone as well as Game of Thrones.  I have selected 480p.   No issues.

b0dyr0ck2006

Hmmm, I've now dropped the connection speed to its lowest (144) and it's now not letting me stream anything. This is through my iPhone.

b0dyr0ck2006

Interestingly if I use airvideo hd it will stream everything flawlessly, I even just tried a 12gb dts file and no issues

87674ce5ebf82789910b851793a35dd1.jpg

mediacowboy

I am still trying to reproduce on my system, but I do not have any files that match your settings for Game of Thrones. I wonder if it could be the AC3? Do SD files play fine? If so what is the audio on those?