Roku Reboots When Starting Playback

y2kse

mike707070

Thanks for the workaround !!!! My household only streams to rokus, so this worked for me. I was in the process of "retraining" the wife and kids on plex, so I'm happy to be able stick with emby.

After days of struggling with this (packet analysis, network restructuring, the works), I finally ran across @BigBri41's fix. Works like a charm!

Let's hope Roku gets this fixed sooner rather than later!

For those of you still having issues without his fix, assuming you're on the latest server release, can you give me examples of content where it is still happening? e.g. media info from the web client. thanks.

whitestrat13

@@Luke I had issues again tonight with this one.

Media Info

Video

CodecH264

ProfileHigh

Level41

Resolution1920x1080

Aspect ratio16:9

AnamorphicNo

InterlacedNo

Framerate23.97602

Bitrate27251 kbps

Bit depth8 bit

Pixel formatyuv420p

Ref frames4

CABACYes

Audio

Languageeng

CodecDCA

ProfileDTS-HD MA

Layout5.1

Channels6 ch

Sample rate48000 khz

DefaultYes

Audio

Languageeng

CodecDCA

ProfileDTS

Layout5.1

Channels6 ch

Bitrate1500 kbps

Sample rate48000 khz

DefaultNo

Subtitle

Languageeng

CodecPGSSUB

DefaultNo

ForcedNo

ExternalNo

Containermkv

I caved and implemented @@BigBri41 's work around and everything seems to be working now.

Edited by whitestrat13

mjktg99
2hrs, 10min. Transcodes because of audio.

Video
CodecH264
ProfileMain
Level40
Resolution1280x592
Aspect ratio13600:6179
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate23.97602
Bitrate3304 kbps
Bit depth8 bit
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames4
CABACYes

Audio
Languageeng
CodecAC3
Layout5.1
Channels6 ch
Bitrate218 kbps
Sample rate48000 khz
DefaultYes
Containermkv
Edited by mjktg99

whitman27

I am finding using the fix in this thread it works but I am seeing an issue with the audio on a lot of movies and shows. It has this broken up sound at times. I was a watching one show that had an audience and I figured it was just that one show but the more stuff I watch I am noticing it.

Hope roku fixes this ASAP, I really don't want to switch to Plex . When I have supported this product for a long time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i am going to put the query string change into the next server patch release, which as you guys have probably noticed we've been doing on a weekly basis. that was the change i mentioned earlier that if roku ever fixes the problem, the change will have to be reverted.

• Like 1

I cannot say if I have the same exact issue but mine has been crashing for at least a week (likely two).

Here is a server log of a crash when I tried to play Eclipse.

Can you discuss the crash a little bit? 

Can you discuss the crash a little bit? 

Let me elaborate.  I haven't read the whole thread and once I do I may be able to prove my crash is the same as everyone elses here.  I posted the logs in case it helps but the more I read of this thread the more I think my problem is exactly the same.  Again, I need to consume more to know for sure.  Basically, the crash happens right on start of playback on files that used to work in the past.  It does seem to be related to the file type though because I can sometime convert the file format to something else and get it to play.  

I was still having the problem with 3.0.5781.4.  I updated to the latest beta/dev releases and still the same.  I completelly uninstalled the server (removed cache files, etc.) just to make sure that there wasn't something looming from before and reinstalled with the same results.  So...  I downloaded the code branch and found the function that outputs the manifest file to the device (GetVariantPlaylistInternal(StreamRequest request, bool isOutputVideo, string name) in DynamicHlsService.cs inside of the MediaBrowser.Api project under the Playback/Hls directory) and modified it to not include the query strings which apparently is what is causing the rokus to crash (manifest file is getting too big or something?).  I've tested it with several movies that weren't working before and it isn't crashing the roku anymore.

Here's what I did:

1.  I installed server version 3.0.5781.4 and set it all up.

2.  In the advanced system preferences I disabled automatic updating of the server.

3.  Find where the server is installed.  (My server installation was in this directory C:\Users\[userName]\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\System)

4.  Exit out of the server program

5.  In your server installation directory, rename MediaBrowser.Api.dll to MediaBrowser.Api.dll.old and copy the MediaBrowser.Api.dll that is in the attached zip file to the directory.

6.  Start the server and cross your fingers.

The dll was compiled with version 3.0.5781.4 so i don't know if it will work with other release versions of the product.

I hope this helps some folks out there.  This is by no means a fix, just a bandaid at best (and it probably breaks something else).  Once Roku gets thier fix out, re-enabling automatic updates should overwrite this file when a new version of the server comes out and everything will be as it should be (codewise).

If this doesn't work for you, you can just delete the file you copied over and rename the .old file back to its original name to put things back the way they were.

EDIT:  just realized that while any of the emby proprietary clients are smart enough to include the proper query strings even if they aren't sent from the server, playing through a non emby client isn't and i broke that part.  Added a condition that looks for ROKU in the user agent string and only performs this manipulation if it is a roku but leaves everything as it was if it isn't a roku.  File updated.

This worked for me, too. Thanks a million, @@BigBri41. I can finally watch all my epics again. 

BigBri41

@@Luke

Looks like they released an update for the rokus today.  I downgraded from the beta server to the stable one 3.0.5781.5 (where the work around wasn't deployed) and it looks like they resolved it from their side.  You can probably remove that query string condition now after you test rokus fix out.  Would you like me to remove that file I uploaded to that post in this thread so we don't risk folks messing their installations up?

BigBri41

@@Luke

Seems to work well for me on the beta also.  Just a note;  I thought that I noticed some sound anomalies after the query string manipulation but didn’t really care since the movies would play.  I’m not sure if this was some kind of mental placebo thing or whether it was real :).  If the roku does have to retrieve some sound settings based on the query string in the manifest file though, it might be worth looking into removing the bandaid for the next stable release.  Just a thought.

The latest Roku update has resolved my issues.

I can also confirm!

ROKU 7.0.9044 firmware also addresses the issue.  I can now play "The Departed" which is 2h31m without issues.

aBoVe1

fantaxp7

Hello,

Has this issue been resolved with a emby server update or is it all related to the roku firmware? 

I have a lot of friends with roku's who have reported crashing as well, I hope this is an easy fix.

Thanks