Gamebrowser 3 Multi-disc Games

alb0806

I searched around the forums and couldn't find any relevant information on how to set up games with multiple discs.  I know in Gamebrowser II there was the disc selection screen, but that required a custom details page.  Is there a supported folder and/or metadata structure for this?

Redshirt

The necessary code is in the Gamebrowser server plugin to identify multi-disc games, there just isn't a user interface yet. I didn't put the custom details screen in the MBC plugin because as many people hated it as liked it. 

I'm not sure when I'll be able to spend time on the MBC plugin. Perhaps if enough users show support @@leedavies and @@Soultaker and @@Cheesegeezer can be convinced to add the additional UI element to their themes. 

• 4 months later...
Redshirt

@@ebr. Just to make sure we're discussing the same problem. The server is already aware that there are multiple files making up the game entity. ie: more than one disc.

5359b1a8775df_multipartgames.jpg

So the issue as I see it is how to expose that to the end user. I can't find the thread, but I mentioned elsewhere that my options are...

1. Add a custom details page for the game entity so that I can provide my own popup chooser.
  2. Add logic to the game playback controller to provide a chooser. My absolute least favourite option as the controller would be running and I have to account for each and every way a user might back out of the dialog.
  3. A specific UI is added to MBC that other themes can skin if they so choose.

The real question is how you feel about 3, Is there value in it? I think it's more plausible now that we have movie grouping. The same UI could be used to allow users to select which version of a movie to play.

Doesn't the server expose these as additional parts just like movies? If it does it should just work with the changes I just put in.

Someone with mult-disc games please update to MBC 156 and see if they work.  Thanks.

Redshirt

It doesn't. I didn't have time to look further before work.

it's possible that they're not at this point. on the server they're just a path list.

Okay, well since the core of MBC doesn't have any direct knowledge of games, this is something that GB III Classic will need to handle.  Redshirt - this should be pretty easy for you if you have the different game parts already.

BaseItem has:

PartCount - you will need to fill this in with the proper number unless the core is already doing it via the normal dto

IEnumerable GetAdditionalParts() - you will need to override this to return individual base items of the additional parts (not including the first one)

I can take care of that. So MBC already has some sort of picker?

Yup - in the dev version.  I just did it this week.

Redshirt

I can take care of that. So MBC already has some sort of picker?

yunggunn80

It sounds like the option to select muti disc games will be available soon. This is great news and I appreciate the hard work. The only thing left would be the ability to browse to a specific file extension for our games.

Some emulators need the .cue instead of the .bin file to run properly and some PCSX2 and PC games need a .bat.

If we could just browse to the file extension it would be great! Thank you again for your hard work!