Emby "My Views" and Kodi - What does this mean?

screwattackthis
Go to solution Solved by Angelblue05,

screwattackthis

I couldn't find this elsewhere in the forum.  Hopefully the answer is pretty straightforward.

As a reminder, we are now following emby views for your library section. Make sure to go into your emby webclient > user icon(right side) > settings > home screen settings > My views are set as you want them to appear in Kodi. Also, in the same place, View styles should be enabled for your sections, otherwise they will be treated as mixed content in Kodi.

That's one of the notes for the newest release.  What I'm wondering is how this impacts Kodi?  After the update, my "Movies" and "TV Shows" links disappeared from my skin's home screen.  I readded them, but now the skin widgets don't work.  Is this related?

• Solution
Angelblue05

It means that we follow emby views rather than the media folder structure (found into emby dashboard > library) to fall into line with other emby apps presentation.

Let's say you have media folder A, B, C all type movies.

If you go into the webclient settings > My views, you have the option to group up media folder A, B, C. If you do, then it will create one view "Movies" that contains A B C. That's how your library will be structured in Kodi, while previously, we would add A B C, regardless of it they were grouped as "Movies". I hope this explains the change better.

If you had your media folders separated in the webclient previous to the add-on update, then this change does not affect you. You may need to verify that the path you added to your widget is still valid, if not, recreate it.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

screwattackthis

Ah, thanks for the response.  I think I get it.  This is a setting I've never messed with, so it's a bit new to me.  What's the difference between "My Views" and "View Styles"? 

Here's what my settings currently look like: http://imgur.com/0hZupgI

Seems my widgets are fine.  I just restarted Kodi and they seem to work again.

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Yes, your settings are correct.

My views are the sections of your library (Movies, TV). They are basically your media folders, with the option of grouping them by content type, if you had more of the same type. 

My view styles: If enabled, views will be built with metadata to offer categories such as Suggestions, Latest, Genres, and more. If disabled, they'll be displayed with simple folders.

However, disabling view styles will hide the content type, so the folder is treated as mixed content in Kodi. This will be rectified at some point.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1