New iOS App Purchase

Wilky13

overClocked!

How are you connecting to the server. Locally or remotely. If remotely it will not unlock. If locally one of the core members will have to look on the server to verify membership.

Ah.  This may answer one of my questions.  I'm remote right now. So does that mean that I will only be able to unlock when I'm on the same local network as my server?  I'll try it when I get home and see what happens.

Will be purchasing regardless.  Well deserved.

Hello,

I am home and testing the new application. :)

When i point my Ipad to my local IP 192.168.0.105 plays like a champ. While on my wifi if I point to my outside address plays like a champ.

I am a supporting member with the gold circle on my server profile.

When I connect with my iPhone on wifi, plays like a champ.

When I turn off wifi plays like a chap.

I have no issues but would like to understand will my family have challenges connecting to my server?

Thanks!

Love it, excellent work.

m

Edited by Info1

andcbii

I'm at home and it works when I'm connected to the to the local wifi. I turn off wifi then it stops working...

Is this how it should work? I found my receipt and I have a Lifetime Subscription for V3...

Am I going to have to play the fee on each iOS device i own...

I appreciate all the hard work that went into the app and i'm very grateful. Can someone take the time and explain how the pricing should be working. I just want to be able to use the app. 

mediacowboy

With your lifetime subscription you should be able to us if both on network and off with no issue. How are you connecting to it when off wifi; like up or domain name?

andcbii

Ok... i think the issue was that I had tried to watch a video while i was remote earlier today. Everything seems to be working ok now. I tried this on my wife's phone and on my iPad. They worked as soon as I connected them over wifi and even when i disabled the wifi. For some reason my phone didn't work the first time when i made the switch over, but it's working now. 

Why can not it authenticate over the internet the fist time? Seem like a strange limitation but I can deal with it. 

Should it matter if you connect via Emby Connect or not. I didn't have that set up before tonight. I have a URL for my Emby server so i never needed it. 

mediacowboy

We are looking into the authentication over the Internet. You can do away with emby connect if you don't not want it. I can testify that it will work now without emby connect. As this is how i have been testing and working now.

• Like 1

overClocked!

Hello,

I am home and testing the new application. :)

When i point my Ipad to my local IP 192.168.0.105 plays like a champ. While on my wifi if I point to my outside address plays like a champ.

I am a supporting member with the gold circle on my server profile.

When I connect with my iPhone on wifi, plays like a champ.

When I turn off wifi plays like a chap.

I have no issues but would like to understand will my family have challenges connecting to my server?

Thanks!

Love it, excellent work.

m

Success! When I came home and connected to my wifi, playback started working immediately on all devices. So the app IS honoring the supporter subscription status of the server. It has unlocked the playback features on the local network and over the Internet. When I connect to a different network, the app automatically senses that and switches to connect using the last known remote access server address. I use dynamic DNS, so that makes it easy.

I LOVE the fact that I no longer have to define 2 different servers for when I'm at home or away from home.

The Emby team has hammered the heck out of this thing and have produced a rock solid app for the greatest mobile platform. I am impressed with it.

Finally, I can ditch mobile Safari!

Well done everyone.

mediacowboy

Success! When I came home and connected to my wifi, playback started working immediately on all devices. So the app IS honoring the supporter subscription status of the server. It has unlocked the playback features on the local network and over the Internet. When I connect to a different network, the app automatically senses that and switches to connect using the last known remote access server address. I use dynamic DNS, so that makes it easy.

I LOVE the fact that I no longer have to define 2 different servers for when I'm at home or away from home.

The Emby team has hammered the heck out of this thing and have produced a rock solid app for the greatest mobile platform. I am impressed with it.

Finally, I can ditch mobile Safari!

Well done everyone.

Glad you are liking it. Please let the world know by leaving a review in the app store.

EdgarWallace

Working now, I was again trying to purchase Emby Premiere and received the key after a short period of time. Server is showing the correct golden badge now and all iOS devices are enabled to play the streams. Great stuff, I immediately removed Plex [emoji3]

Thanks guy's your app is just awesome.

Edited by EdgarWallace

Wilky13

If you are NOT an Emby Premier subscriber and pay the $4.99 to "unlock" and play content in the app does it:

1) apply to other devices on the same Apple ID? For example, if I pay the $4.99 on my iPad, will it also unluck my iPhone and iPod Emby apps?

2) apply to other apple id's under the same iCloud family. For example, my wife, mine and both my kids Apple id's are all linked together using apple's family iCloud service, allowing sharing of apps and payment information; so if I pay $2 for an app and my wife downloads the same app a day later using her Id, Apple recognizes we are a linked family and allows her to download it for free because I already paid for it even though we have different Apple id's. So if I pay the $4.99 on my iPad will it also unlock the app on my wife's iPad?

3) or is it per Emby server? I.e. Once I unlock the app on my iPad, any device that connects to my server is already unlocked?

Thanks.

Can I get the original question answered?

Is this 'in-app purchase' unlock going to be universal across all Apple devices and family accounts like an app purchase?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is this 'in-app purchase' unlock going to be universal across all Apple devices and family accounts like an app purchase?

My guess is that if you unlock the "in-app-purchase" it is avaiable for all your devices with the SAME apple-id, but not for family-members cause in-app-purchases cant be "shared" due to apple restrictions.

So the better soluton would be that the app will cost 5$ in the apple store without in-app-purchases, so that all family members can access to that app. But with that solution all "emby premium" members would have buy the app instead of just logging in to unlock playback. So (a) you purchase emby-premium and all (family)members can unlock playback or (b ) all your (family)members must donate that 5$-in-app-purchase (and i think its worth it because i guess the emby team works pretty hard on that). I just purchase the 5$ in the hope that the iOS-App will be continuously updated with bugfixes and new features in the future :)

Please correct me if i am wrong.

Edited by gismo33
  • Like 1

overClocked!

In-app purchases aren't shared with family members, even if you signed up for Family Sharing.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203046

Wilky13

My guess is that if you unlock the "in-app-purchase" it is avaiable for all your devices with the SAME apple-id, but not for family-members cause in-app-purchases cant be "shared" due to apple restrictions.

So the better soluton would be that the app will cost 5$ in the apple store without in-app-purchases, so that all family members can access to that app. But with that solution all "emby premium" members would have buy the app instead of just logging in to unlock playback. So (a) you purchase emby-premium and all (family)members can unlock playback or (b ) all your (family)members must donate that 5$-in-app-purchase (and i think its worth it because i guess the emby team works pretty hard on that). I just purchase the 5$ in the hope that the iOS-App will be continuously updated with bugfixes and new features in the future :)

Please correct me if i am wrong.

Gismo, I agree with what you said and that does make sense and is what I thought.

I still think the Emby app should be a $4.99 app so it is universal across all accounts instead of a free app with a $4.99 in-app purchase to actually use it for playback. Yes, Emby premium members would have to pay $4.99 in addition to their premium account, but it would only be a one time charge. Because as an "app purchase" it would be across all iOS devices on that Apple ID as well as any family members linked to it. So for only $4.99 you will have the app on every iOS device in your entire family. Versus with the current "in-app" purchase scheme I will need to pay $19.96 ($4.99 x 4) to unlock the app on my iPad & iPhone, my wife's iPad & iPhone, my older daughters iPhone and my younger daughters iPad.

Wilky13

Don't get me wrong, I will always pay/donate for software I like and works (I donate to MCEBuddy, MakeMKV and several other freeware, because they work great, make my HTPC better). I was a donator to Emby back when it was MB2 to use cover art and different themes. However, I don't use cover art anymore and I am sticking to the chocolate theme. So will becoming an Emby premier member give me anything else other than unlocking the iOS apps for my whole family and the ability to folder/cloud sync?

Also, will the $89.99 lifetime, truly be lifetime (i.e. If Emby 2, aka MB4 ever makes it appearance will it transfer, because my MB2 donator status did not transfer to MB3/Emby)?

Vidman

Don't get me wrong, I will always pay/donate for software I like and works (I donate to MCEBuddy, MakeMKV and several other freeware, because they work great, make my HTPC better). I was a donator to Emby back when it was MB2 to use cover art and different themes. However, I don't use cover art anymore and I am sticking to the chocolate theme. So will becoming an Emby premier member give me anything else other than unlocking the iOS apps for my whole family and the ability to folder/cloud sync?

Also, will the $89.99 lifetime, truly be lifetime (i.e. If Emby 2, aka MB4 ever makes it appearance will it transfer, because my MB2 donator status did not transfer to MB3/Emby)?

have a good read here : http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/27502-Premiere-FAQ---Please-Read-Before-Posting&do=findComment&comment=267214
  • Like 1

Wilky13

That's what I was afraid of:

"Lifetime - This membership will be valid for the entire life of the Emby product in its current major implementation. This is likely to be quite a long time as building this implementation required a lot of time and effort that will not be repeated any time soon. That is, this period will undoubtedly be measured in years and, hopefully, many of them."

I translate that into a lifetime isn't really "lifetime". It's only for the "current major implementation." Which means when MB4/Emby2 comes around your SOL after paying $89.99.

Vidman

I translate it to mean the lifetime of the product not the consumer, which is standard for software in case you weren't aware;)

Also read 'measured in years and, hopefully, many of them.'

• Like 1

Wilky13

I translate it to mean the lifetime of the product not the consumer, which is standard for software in case you weren't aware;)

Also read 'measured in years and, hopefully, many of them.'

That's my point, it is not for the "lifetime" of the product. When Media browser upgraded from MB2 to MB3 my "lifetime" membership did not follow.

That's my point, it is not for the "lifetime" of the product. When Media browser upgraded from MB2 to MB3 my "lifetime" membership did not follow.

This is all new software with all new development, many new faces, and a new set of goals. When MB3 launched it was never an upgrade, it was completely new and standalone, and you had the ability to run MB2 side by side if you wanted to. In fact, you could have stayed on MB2 for as long as you wanted. I was an MB2 user and I think they more than earned the amount they were asking for their features. Emby would not exist if we gave free access to MB2 users because there is no way we'd be able to manage our costs by doing that. This app would never have been released, and we probably would not have made it this far. 

Wilky13

This is all new software with all new development, many new faces, and a new set of goals. When MB3 launched it was never an upgrade, it was completely new and standalone, and you had the ability to run MB2 side by side if you wanted to. In fact, you could have stayed on MB2 for as long as you wanted. I was an MB2 user and I think they more than earned the amount they were asking for their features. Emby would not exist if we gave free access to MB2 users because there is no way we'd be able to manage our costs by doing that. This app would never have been released, and we probably would not have made it this far.

Agreed, and I am more than willing to pay $89.99 for Emby, for a great product, that gets periodic 'updates' to its server and clients for the next 5-10 years. However, I would be upset (again) if in 2-3 years Emby2 came out and my lifetime membership didn't transfer (again).

I am very happy with the small investment I have made for the return on this great product. I will gladly pay again when it up issues.

Been onboard for many years already and expect to continue to use in the coming years.

Once again thank you all for making this happen and adapting your product to changing technology.

m

• Like 1

overClocked!

I still think the Emby app should be a $4.99 app so it is universal across all accounts instead of a free app with a $4.99 in-app purchase to actually use it for playback. Yes, Emby premium members would have to pay $4.99 in addition to their premium account, but it would only be a one time charge. Because as an "app purchase" it would be across all iOS devices on that Apple ID as well as any family members linked to it. So for only $4.99 you will have the app on every iOS device in your entire family. Versus with the current "in-app" purchase scheme I will need to pay $19.96 ($4.99 x 4) to unlock the app on my iPad & iPhone, my wife's iPad & iPhone, my older daughters iPhone and my younger daughters iPad.

@@Wilky13, my experience indicates that's not how it would work for subscribers.  Current subscribers do not have to pay anything additional for the app to unlock on any of their iOS devices that connect to the server. A person pays the $4.99 to unlock playback only if they are not already an Emby Premiere subscriber.  If your server already has an active subscription license applied, the iOS app automatically unlocks for all iOS devices that connect with a user account via the same local network as the server.  No additional purchase required since it's included in that licensing.  

So if the app were to cost $4.99 up front in the app store, the subscriber pays the same amount as a non-subscriber in that scenario, not more.  

Since the app is free for everyone to install from the App Store, the current in-app purchase model is fair.  It makes sense to extend the benefit to those that pay for the Premiere subscription, while providing 1) a method to unlock playback to non-subscribers and 2) a medium for those who want to support the project on an on-going basis through the monthly/yearly subscriptions and finally 3) a way to pay a 1 time subscription fee for the life of the current major version of the product which consequentially unlocks playback on the app.

I think the Emby team thought it through, and got the pricing model correct on this.   

Edited by overClocked!

megamacx

overClocked!,

What you are saying makes sense to me. However, that's not how it looks to be working. I don't have a supporter's membership. That being said, I paid $4.99 for the unlock playback feature to be able to play on any of my devices tied to my Apple ID.

However, when I restore the purchase on my 3 other devices, for some reason after some time (less than a day), they lock again and it doesn't let me play anything unless I reinstall the app and restore the purchase again (on every device), which lets me use playback for few more hours.

Is this a bug? I still don't understand how, after restoring the in app purchase, the playback gets disabled after few hours.

Thoughts?