Home Movies Issue

leebo

I recently shot and edited a video, and copied it to my server. Using the Chromecast app, the video plays without issue.

However, the Fire TV app is unable to play the file.

The file is an MP4 (H264) shot in HD. It was originally shot at 1440 X 1080, and rendered at 1920 X 1080. Video bitrate is 5155kbps. Audio is AAC.

The audio plays fine, it's the video that has issues. The picture freezes up immediatly, displaying a frame that is part image from a frame, and part green macro blocking.

It plays fine in the FTV app (edit: I meant the Chromecast app) and in the servers Chrome browser. How can I troubleshoot this issue? I prefer to use the Fire TV app.

Thanks.

Edited by leebo

It plays fine in the FTV app and in the servers Chrome browser. How can I troubleshoot this issue? I prefer to use the Fire TV app.

A little confused by this statement but it sounds like maybe something about the particular video is giving VLC a problem.

What happens if you disable VLC for playback?

You are confused because I'm a dork. I meant to say, it plays fine in the Chromecast app (not in the Fire TV app).

There does not appear to be a setting for disabling VLC in the Fire TV app.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Yes thanks. I did not see that at first.

Unfortunately, it didn't make any difference. It's there anything else I can check?

Signature edited to appease the OCD's

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally was able to get back to this issue.

Yes, when attempting to play my camcorder file through Emby the OSD says "Direct/V".

Signature edited to appease the OCD's

• 3 months later...

I'm still looking into this. Although the problem file initially played through the Chromecast, today it will not, at least not without severe issues.

It also will not play through the Emby web interface, nor with the stand alone VLC app. At this point is appears obvious there is some issue with the file itself. I have since added two standard def files that seem to play fine. I don't know if it a codec issue or something to do with the fact that the file was shot in Hi Def.

I'm going to rerender it and see what happens.