New user, some issues getting going with Emby

kheldar

Hi all, new Emby user here hoping someone can point me in the right direction on a couple things.

The most major one is that I can't seem to play anything back at all.  I'm using a TCL Roku TV and have added the Emby app.  All seems to be fine, but when I elect to play anything it just starts and stops immediately.  Recent Activity shows I started watching and stopped watching whatever it was that I chose.  Any idea what's going wrong here?

Second issue is that the content is pretty much all wildly mis-named.  Some of my content is from DVD rips I did myself, some is from torrents, some is from other random sources.  Formats are all over the map... mp4, m4v, avi, mkv, mpg, etc.  Some content is plain ol' commercial movies, some is TV shows, and some (quite a lot actually) is tutorial videos from various online courses, seminars, etc.  Obviously the latter is never going to be found in any movie DB, so I defined that library folder as mixed content.  But I've got loads of regular commercial movies and TV series' that are being completely mis-labeled by Emby.  According to the wiki, it sounds like Emby requires quite the strict naming convention.  Is that so?  There's no way I'm going to go through and manually re-name all my files to conform to a simple Movie Name (year) format.  If that's required, then I guess Emby isn't for me and I need to keep looking.

Third issue, is it possible to turn off the "Recent Activity" on the dashboard?  That kind of thing always just bugs me on principle.  I know everything does internal logs, but I'm not interested in having every program everyone in the household watches and when, recorded and advertised for all of us to see.

Thanks in advance, I really hope Emby can finally be the end to my search for a good whole-home media streaming solution, but I'm having a few doubts at the moment.

Hi, welcome. can you please provide a server log of the playback attempts?

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/739-how-to-report-a-problem/

Thanks. As for your custom videos, i would try the Home Videos library type. It will not try to match the content with any online metadata.

The server dashboard that displays Recent Activity is designed for you the Administrator, not for every single user. In the Users section you can create users and you can define who can access what. You can learn more about users in Emby by checking out our wiki:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Users

One more item.  Not sure how this is supposed to work but... when I'm managing the server and click on any of the libraries I've added, nothing happens.  The icon indicates I'm hovering over it, but that's it, clicking does nothing at all.  I expected that it would take me into that library and show the media inside.  The library has been scanned, so... am I just not understanding how it's supposed to work?

When you are managing your media library and you click on a library, yes it will bring up a popup. what browser are you running? I can only guess it's safari, I do not see any problems with this on safari 9.0.

Nope, Firefox.  Also, I wanted to create a new shorter log file (the ones I have are huge as I was clicking all over the place on tons of different stuff), so you could have a nice concise log to review.  But now, I can't access Emby at all!  Roku gets to "retrieving" and then there is no server.  If I try to connect to the server, it shows in the list, I select it, and nothing happens.  I uninstalled and reinstalled the emby app and re-authorized the device, but no change.  Emby no longer works at all.  Anyone have any ideas what's going on?

OK, last log created is attached.  Still can't access the server at all from my TV.  Weird.

How did you sign into the app? Did you use the Emby Connect pin feature, or did you locate your server manually?

Nothing else comes up in the transcode log after that? Even later after exiting?

Nope that log is the latest log that exists.

How did you sign into the app? Did you use the Emby Connect pin feature, or did you locate your server manually?

I did both.