Unable to Get Direct Play Working

lightbreaker
Go to solution Solved by lightbreaker,

lightbreaker

Hi,

I'm running the latest Emby server (3.0.5781.1) on a Windows 8.1 box and the latest version of Kodi (15.2) on a Shield. My path substitution is set to:

D:\ --> smb://192.168.1.8/Media/

(D:\ is an external HDD with two folders, TV and Movies and it is shared using SMB with the title "Media."

I've got my username and password configured in Emby for Kodi (although my SMB allows anyone read access, and I can even use the file manager in Kodi to go to the server directly and access all of these files without problem (either via Add Source --> SMB or Add Source --> IP to server).

However, when I launch a video from Emby for Kodi, I'm still getting the WARNING: UNABLE TO DIRECT PLAY and my log will say something like this:

21:41:15 T:2117595648  NOTICE: EMBY PlayUtils -> Unable to direct play. Verify the following path is accessible by the device: smb://192.168.1.8/Media/Movies/Test.Video.mp4. You might also need to add SMB credentials in the addon settings.

What might I be missing?

Edited by lightbreaker

im85288

Can you bypass path substitution and enter UNC paths instead in the Emby server. Path substitution is only really needed for OS X and Linux systems where UNC is not available.

Deihmos

Shouldn't the path substitute be D:\Media\Movies to smb:\\192.168.1.8\Media\Movies

Edited by Deihmos

im85288

Possibly, that's why I recommended not using it. Input UNC paths in your server config to avoid these headaches.

Deihmos

The issue wiuth this is it ca

Possibly, that's why I recommended not using it. Input UNC paths in your server config to avoid these headaches.

Makes sense.

Edited by Deihmos

lightbreaker

I'll try this tonight. I never thought about inputting the network folder on the server config. I just used the local file address.

xnappo

Yep - we have been trying for ages to get the server to at least *SUGGEST* not putting a local path, but no luck..

Angelblue05

Shouldn't the path substitute be D:\Media\Movies to smb:\\192.168.1.8\Media\Movies

Path substitution should look like \\192.168.0.1.8\Media\Movies

Deihmos

Path substitution should look like \\192.168.0.1.8\Media\Movies

I just copied what the OP had. I don't have it setup that way. I am not sure if adding smb will prevent it from working.

Angelblue05

If you use smb:// , the only thing that will not work is if Kodi needs your network credentials, they will never be added to the path at playback time.

lightbreaker

So I tried to change the library monitoring paths to network paths instead of the local path but it did not work. All playback ceases to work and I get this error: 

*** Error Report ***
	Version: 3.0.5781.1
	Command line: C:\Users\Media\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
	Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
	Processor count: 4
	64-Bit OS: False
	64-Bit Process: False
	Program data path: C:\Users\Media\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server
	Application Path: C:\Users\Media\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
	Unable to read data from the transport connection: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine.
	System.IO.IOException
	   at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.BeginRead(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, AsyncCallback callback, Object state)
	   at SocketHttpListener.Net.HttpConnection.BeginReadRequest()
	InnerException: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException
	An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine
	   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.BeginReceive(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, SocketFlags socketFlags, AsyncCallback callback, Object state)
	   at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.BeginRead(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, AsyncCallback callback, Object state)

Angelblue05

Can you access the share from windows via network? Verify the permissions on the folders you've shared. You could test to see and add guest account for read-only, if then you are able to gain access?

• Solution
lightbreaker

Got it working. I set all paths to \\192.168.1.8\path\to\media and then did a full reset of Emby. It's direct playing now :) Yay! Thanks everyone for all of the help.

Edited by lightbreaker
  • Like 1