Best Practices For Home Movies?

leebo

Is there a best practices for adding your personal home videos to the server? I just saw the Home Videos heading, so I created a folder on my server with the same name (no media in it yet) and added it to Emby server.

Do I just add my videos and forget it? Are there any gotchas I need to be aware of? Does Emby know not to search the Internet for posters, banners, etc? What about Metadata? Do I simply go to the Metadata manager in the server interface and type in what I want?

Thanks for any help or tips!

Yes, no, yes, yes, yes. :)

A comedian.  :P

Lets see. I wrote six questions, but got five answers. If I assume you ignored the first question (best practices), then it appears you answered yes to, "Do I just add my videos and forget it?". However, if you did answer that first question, that means the other questions got the opposite answer, and you ignored the last one.

And god forbid you answered both the first and last but skipped one of the questions in the middle!!!  ^_^

What I do, is set up the particular video folder with everything I want in it, artwork, metadata, video, outside of the Home Video folder, then copy it to the Home Video folder when it's complete.

Generally, that works fine, but occasionally the server will try to identify as a movie of the same or similar title as the video. In that case, just correct in metadata manager.

Vidman

A comedian. [emoji14]

Lets see. I wrote six questions, but got five answers. If I assume you ignored the first question (best practices), then it appears you answered yes to, "Do I just add my videos and forget it?". However, if you did answer that first question, that means the other questions got the opposite answer, and you ignored the last one.

And god forbid you answered both the first and last but skipped one of the questions in the middle!!! ^_^

Ebrs answers pertain to your second paragraph;)

Home video content type will not try to identity the content or download any metadata from the internet, you can add your own however in the metadata editor

Edited by Vidman
  • Like 1

Thank you everybody for the help.

Funny, I use Emby several times a week, but I had not checked the folder types in a while. I shot a video for a non profit a few weeks ago and decided to try adding it to my Emby server yesterday. I was surprised to see you guys added that folder type!

Now I can start adding many of our personal home videos.

On a side note: Emby app for Chromecast seems to work fine with my home video, however, Emby app for Fire TV does not. Time to head over to that forum to try and troubleshoot it there.