5715,Error,,Error getting response from http://server

glacket

Hi,

I am pulling my hair out trying to get emby to even work any more. It was working fairly well until the past couple of updates then everything just fell apart. I have the memory leak that others have mentioned with emby tv. when I try to launch emby most of the time it will just clock for several minutes. if, and that's a big if I get into emby, tv shows and movies load very slowly. I select tv shows for example usually it will be a blank screen and tv shows don't show up, same thing with moves. and it takes about 30 seconds to 1 minute or more to load. when I select a show I have to sit another minute or more. most of the time I get a wait or close dialog box and no matter what I choose, I have to wait and just end up ending task. this all happened within the last few updates. as new versions came out it gradually got worse and worse. the only pattern I notice on all my media center logs is 5715,Error,,Error getting response from http://server which to me would indicate hardware issue, but I checked everything and nothing is wrong. I/o speed for the array is strong, the server never goes to sleep and neither do the harddrives. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the server and clients serveral times. no changes. Any ideas? I am really at a loss at this point. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

MBClassic-9112015683b39771f2342aca11262ea757f80c4.log

hi there, we're resolving this for the next server release. in the meantime, try running a library scan after you start the server. the library scan loads some data into memory that can make browsing faster. we recently removed the scan from happening automatically at server startup and that's the reason you're seeing this. thanks.

Hi, thanks for the quick replies. I had the latest versions of everything, but decided to install an older version for troubleshooting purposes.

When i restart emby server, the library scan appears to automatically start and complete and I still have to wait 30 seconds or more every time i click on literally any media under movies or tv shows. If i navigate to the files they come up instantly. When emby trys to pull the same data it takes some time regardless if it scanned or not. Any other tips i can try. I am currently making sure all my media is named properly and that there are no extra files laying around. so far doing that has not helped.

now i did test this externally not on the network.

Also, i can navigate to the files and play them through another media player immediately. none of the hardware is ever taxed according to the performance meters. its a 2012 r2 box, core i3 4gb ram, rocketraid highpoint card 16 tb array with WD red drives.

Okay, then we are definitely dealing with server performance issues.

It was emby. I reinstalled the software but this time I deleted the emby server folder manually because the uninstaller fails everytime I try to do a full uninstall. Deleting all my settings and cache worked a treat. after reinstalling everything was amazingly fast I actually couldnt believe it, as in everything is like instant, like bat out of hell instant. I was like omg this is awesome. puts greased lighting to shame. I have not looked at the log files yet but delete the emby folder  and starting fresh did it for me. Thanks Guys. This reminds me of why I love emby so much and really appreciate what you guys have done for the wmc community. Thank you guys.

Edited by glacket

Is the behavior any different in the web client or another app?

My web client, over the Internet, runs very nicely. EMC, OTOH, is very slow to load and sometimes fails to load the selected file (although this issue seems to have cleared itself as of late). I thought that there was a setting to change in the EMC advanced settings? I haven't had time to do this as of yet, though. I'll try the library scan too.

It was emby. I reinstalled the software but this time I deleted the emby server folder manually because the uninstaller fails everytime I try to do a full uninstall. Deleting all my settings and cache worked a treat. after reinstalling everything was amazingly fast I actually couldnt believe it, as in everything is like instant, like bat out of hell instant. I was like omg this is awesome. puts greased lighting to shame. I have not looked at the log files yet but delete the emby folder  and starting fresh did it for me. Thanks Guys. This reminds me of why I love emby so much and really appreciate what you guys have done for the wmc community. Thank you guys.

Hmm.. Maybe I need to do this?

My web client, over the Internet, runs very nicely. EMC, OTOH, is very slow to load and sometimes fails to load the selected file (although this issue seems to have cleared itself as of late). I thought that there was a setting to change in the EMC advanced settings? I haven't had time to do this as of yet, though. I'll try the library scan too.

It is not surprising that some functions in EMC would be slow across the internet as that system was never designed for that particular use case.  

The web client (and pretty much all the apps developed specifically for Emby) use paging techniques to limit the amount of data they attempt to retrieve at any given time.  Due to the original design of EMC, this isn't possible so it is bringing back the entire contents of each folder or other container which - depending on specifics of the setup - could be a performance issue across a slow connection.

• Like 1

I'm sorry for not being clear. I am running the Emby Server on the same machine (i5 Haswell with 8GB ram and 240GB SSD so no slacker connected via Gig ethernet to HDD's on an older i5 Clarkdale) as WMC and EMC and the web client via Chrome over the internet which works very well. Right now I'm streaming CNN from my house to my work glitch free for over three hours now.

Should I abandon EMC and re-program my Harmony 900 to load the web client or Emby Theater and close WMC and visa versa to switch to Live TV etc? Maybe someday Emby will have a DRM solution!?

Edited by Sammy

I'm sorry for not being clear. I am running the Emby Server on the same machine (i5 Haswell with 8GB ram and 240GB SSD so no slacker connected via Gig ethernet to HDD's on an older i5 Clarkdale) as WMC and EMC and the web client via Chrome over the internet which works very well. Right now I'm streaming CNN from my house to my work glitch free for over three hours now.

You answered a question I had asked the OP with simply a statement that EMC was "slow to load".  I would need specific information on what this really means and a log from the time of this issue to begin to have an idea of what is going on with your setup.  It could be something completely different from the OP.

Okay. I will run some logs but not until I've tried the other suggested solutions.. Heck, by the time I get to it you'll probably have another server release anyhow. Thank you for your work on this project.

i ended up having more slowness again soon after total reinstall. I found out it was all due to the memory leak. I disabled my tuners and the memory leak appears to have stopped. been stable and super fast for a week now

• 2 weeks later...
Trevor68

Having all the same problems, over the same timeline, I had been putting up with it, but now its totally unusable. Including a log, but reading this thread seems to suggest I should reinstall Emby Server perhaps?

Happened around the 10th, and I just presumed the next update would fix it, but each update just keeps getting worse. All other clients load and play fine, only Emby for WMC is unusable. Also checked for memory leaks, and there are none.

MBClassic-3122015a439d6aeeb8d425ca1432e6c0df12065.log

MBClassic-3122015221f7583b0ff4785bb8facc794d58161.log

MBClassic-2122015221f7583b0ff4785bb8facc794d58161.log

Edited by Trevor68

Lots of timeouts and unable to connect messages trying to communicate with your server.

Is this the proper address for it?  192.168.0.107

If it is, then do you have anything like Avast running on the server?  Something is slowing everything down.

Trevor68

Spoton!, I totally forgot since I installed a new router the HTPC is 103, not 107. Didn't really think about it as the Server updated itself.

The problem now is I cannot see where to update Emby for WMC? Had a good poke around and could not find the server address anywhere?

Oddly it is correctly connecting to 103, but then pumping out requests to the old 107 address.