two locations and a vpn

otabob

I have an idea that if Emby can stream media to my device over the internet (with proper dynamicdns and isp provided speed connection) then could Emby stream media through a vpn connection?

Let me explain a little. I have a vpn connection between my shop and my home. The computer in the shop is already backing up to a server in my home. So, if the shop burns down (or some weather disaster) I have data backed up to my home server.

So, if I am already streaming 'that data', could Emby server (setup in the shop) stream data to my Emby client in my home? Seems to me that this should work? Any thoughts?

Scott84Z28

Of course.  As long as the upload is fast enough.  You'll have a little more overhead because of the VPN, but it would be minimal.

• 2 weeks later...

18-19 Mbs download with 3.5Mbs upload . . . I thinking I am good?

the upload is what matters here ... while 3.5Mb might be okay, i'd think you can only get a 720p stream going at that... audio might start to sound a little tinny.

i stream over vpn all the time, but my upload speed is at 30Mbps... so that makes a big difference.

Yeah, I'd say 3.5 is fairly minimal for outbound streaming.  I wouldn't try to stream anything above about a 1.5Mb/s rate.

JeremyFr79

I connect to my server by VPN on a regular basis using OpenVPN works like a charm, sadly the only way I can watch live TV remotely via Android since the switch to VLC player :(