Status of Tizen

KRA

theantioch

The 1.0.16 update has been approved for all models. Now it is just awaiting launch.

The OSD issue is fixed for me in 1.0.16.

• Like 1

gbone8106

I not sure how hard it would be but samsung should have an api for the evo kits right? there are lot of people that have purchased that kit or it came with the tv for its upgraded capabilities. maybe add an option to enable bit rate/play options for evo kits? Below is the supported codecs for the sek3500u evo kit. pg 185

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201506/20150630105609001/ENG_HPDVBEUJ-1.403.pdf

I presume it brings the supported models up to equivalent of 2015 Tizen release.  Currently the Tizen based Samsung app checks for Model year 2015 or 2016 for some support options, otherwise it just checks for a Tizen version.

Once the app hits the full store support for all models (so far the release is being gradual) I expect the evo upgrades will possibly work fine

Hey guys, I've just bought a Samsung KS9500. I note that the new Tizen app 1.0.16 is only available from the Samsung app store in the US. Is there any way it can it be installed in Aus? Would be great and allow me to use my Chromecast elsewhere :)

There is no easy sideload process that I'm aware of. If there is a way to do it without having to install the entire SDK then certainly that would be fine and we could put a download up on the website. But I'm not sure there is.

gbone8106

Ok I have my evo kit setup and have started testing playback. So far anything that has H264(Stereo High@L4.1 / High@L4.1) is not direct playing. Anything with a 4K resolution HEVC(main 10) 5.1  and lower, is transcoding. I have a couple MVC TS files, that also used to direct play. I expect truehd to transcode, but only audio if possible, it appears to bot audio and video. In the other app all of the H264(Stereo High@L4.1 / High@L4.1) direct played, 4k movies that were HEVC(main) 5, direct played. it seems that there might be a resolution limit set possibly for each codec, also the maybe the H264 (stereo high@L4.1) should just be treated as High@L4.1. I know you said it is going by the Samsung api for tv model and version, but I don't think it is in my case. HU8550+sek3500u

It also seems that while most of my movies with DTS-HD , or DTS-MA (5.1 or 7.1) Direct play, I have a couple that don't. I can take clips of these movies to and post if you can use to troubleshoot.

Edited by gbone8106
  • Like 1

Ok I have my evo kit setup and have started testing playback. 

Check in your server log, there should be a useragent string that matches your TV.  Something like

UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (SMART-TV; Linux; Tizen 2.4.0; SAMSUNG sdk) AppleWebKit/538.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/2.4.0 TV Safari/538.1

There will be lots of UserAgent strings, but there should be some that are specifically SMART-TV or Tizen or SAMSUNG

Please post a copy of the UserAgent string, this will help to know what the evo kit is being detected as

hey, this app seems to work great on my HU9000 with the sek-3500u upgrade.  The only major issue I am noticing is that dts-hd & atmos don't seem to pass, they instead get down-mixed to regular dts.  I don't know if this is a arc limitation, or an app limitation.  I know that on my HTPC, it can pass atmos & dts-hd no problem.  

Any ideas?

I want to get rid of my HTPC, as I rarely use it anymore, and especially if I can get emby directly to my TV, I truly have little use for it.  Wondering that if passing atmos is an arc limitation, I can just use a UBD-K8500, which I believe also runs on tizen.  

Atmos doesn't appear to be supported by any Samsung models.  I couldn't get it to pass out via ARC either.

I tested dtshdma 7.1 and it direct plays.  Make sure you set the Audio options on the TV to bitstream and DTS outputs.  For some reason the TV doesn't auto switch between DD and DTS, you have to do it manually or else it falls back to PCM output.

Last time I tested dtshdma it worked fine

I get my replacement TV tomorrow so I'll test it again to confirm

• Like 1

UBD-K8500 is orsay not Tizen.  

@@cmcg's app will run but it doesn't detect this model so there's possibly lots of transcoding.  As it is 4K output, some fonts don't scale correctly and are very small or appear semi-transparent.  With the performance of the Tizen app being so good I haven't bothered to try and fix the Orsay version

• Like 1

gbone8106

ok looks like mine is reported as follows

UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Tizen 2.3) AppleWebKit/538.1 (KHTML, like Gecko)Version/2.3 TV Safari/538.1

one of the last changes I noted on the non-Tizen app the cmcg made was that we noticed some DTS tracks we being reported to the app and server as "DTS" not "DCA" like everything else , and he put in a line to treat "DTS" as "DCA".

also any idea on why H264 (stereo high@L4.1) is being transcoded?

Edited by gbone8106

ok looks like mine is reported as follows

UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Tizen 2.3) AppleWebKit/538.1 (KHTML, like Gecko)Version/2.3 TV Safari/538.1

one of the last changes I noted on the non-Tizen app the cmcg made was that we noticed some DTS tracks we being reported to the app and server as "DTS" not "DCA" like everything else , and he put in a line to treat "DTS" as "DCA".

also any idea on why H264 (stereo high@L4.1) is being transcoded?

Hi @@gbone8106, we'll have to look into this in more detail. Best thing to do is provide the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks !

1.0.17 is in process of rolling out. It is mostly an update to the latest Emby Theater interface changes. There are no Tizen-specific changes.

• Like 1

constantcharge

Why not just change the region of apps store? Works for me in AU on K series.

Was a fairly painless exercise.

Go to live tv 

select menu

select setup

continue setup but before accepting app store agreement press mute, vol up, ch up, mute.

menu pops up to change region select USA.

didn't worry about re-scan just selected no signal available.(kept the channels tuned)

Waited for it to install all other apps

Install emby

Connect to server. done.

Edited by constantcharge
  • Like 3